Benzo Withdrawal - Tips And Advice

TreasureVibe

Hi everyone, I figured a lot if not all of my symptoms were due to Ativan usage which I have been on for 3 months now, 3 mg daily. Are there any tips and advice for this benzo withdrawal and about tapering it?

Thank you!

gabys225

I think magnesium bicarbonate (or acetate) would definitely be important for the rebound anxiety. You'd always want to stay as peaty as possible with particular attention to therapeutic usage of glycine and taurine, given their interaction with GABA.

The magnesium acetate is so effective (as far as magnesium supplementation is concerned) that if I'm not careful with the dosing I can get "magnesium drunk", and be incredibly relaxed and lazy. Not the worst state to be in, and it may prove valuable when getting off benzos.

There's a few threads on the board about benzo withdrawal, I'd take a look at them all. Another thing that I can vouch for from personal experience is Lithium Orotate. Wonderful wonderul product for anxiety, and it's inhibition of NMDA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity is something you're definitely going to want to leverage.

Getting of benzo's can be very difficult and shouldn't be taken lightly, be very careful. I would keep progesterone on hand at all times for it's stabilizing effect, just keep a bottle on you and if you feel huge anxiety coming on take some progesterone. Don't worry about testosterone or anything like that, I've used progesterone many many times and my libido never takes more than 2 days to come back. The first order of business is cutting the benzos, and not being a complete disaster ridden with panic attacks and social anxiety. It's very easy to enter a dark place when getting off benzos, progesterone will be a strong strong ally.

User @Aleeri made a good post here: Help With Benzo Withdrawal

Bradykinin is involved in the pain response, and also stress and anxiety. This is purely theoretical, but serrapeptase may prove useful. YMMV.

The bradykinin system in stress and anxiety in humans and mice | Scientific Reports

Maybe he can chime in if he has further insights. I wish you the best and hope you recover quickly.

tankasnowgod

I think magnesium bicarbonate (or acetate) would definitely be important for the rebound anxiety. You'd always want to stay as peaty as possible with particular attention to therapeutic usage of glycine and taurine, given their interaction with GABA.

The magnesium acetate is so effective (as far as magnesium supplementation is concerned) that if I'm not careful with the dosing I can get "magnesium drunk", and be incredibly relaxed and lazy. Not the worst state to be in, and it may prove valuable when getting off benzos.

There's a few threads on the board about benzo withdrawal, I'd take a look at them all. Another thing that I can vouch for from personal experience is Lithium Orotate. Wonderful wonderul product for anxiety, and it's inhibition of NMDA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity is something you're definitely going to want to leverage.

Getting of benzo's can be very difficult and shouldn't be taken lightly, be very careful. I would keep progesterone on hand at all times for it's stabilizing effect, just keep a bottle on you and if you feel huge anxiety coming on take some progesterone. Don't worry about testosterone or anything like that, I've used progesterone many many times and my libido never takes more than 2 days to come back. The first order of business is cutting the benzos, and not being a complete disaster ridden with panic attacks and social anxiety. It's very easy to enter a dark place when getting off benzos, progesterone will be a strong strong ally.

User @Aleeri made a good post here: Help With Benzo Withdrawal

Bradykinin is involved in the pain response, and also stress and anxiety. This is purely theoretical, but serrapeptase may prove useful. YMMV.

The bradykinin system in stress and anxiety in humans and mice | Scientific Reports

Maybe he can chime in if he has further insights. I wish you the best and hope you recover quickly.

I had always suspected that pregnenolone would be good for someone tapering Benzos as well. Thankfully, I have never been on Benzos, but I have noticed notable improvements in mood from both Preg and Lithium Orotate. Isn't allopregnenolone down regulated with chronic benzo use?

I've always wondered if supplementing GABA directly would help, but really have no idea. I could see it making things worse. The times I have tried supplementing GABA, it has only been for a few days, I think something always felt "off" right about that time.

akgrrrl

Years ago, I discovered this forum while in search of benzo withdrawal help. No doctor would even talk to me, information was available for addicts deeply involved, but I needed practical help for longterm low dosage use. Ray Peat forum welcomed me and offered information that I found nowhere else.
I had discovered that my doctor kept me on benzos for no other reason than big pharma points, violating the 2week use recommendation by changing the dose every month, and patting me on the head to say how amazing I was doing after multiple reconstructive surgeries, skin grafts, phys therapy while recovering alone in rural Alaska with no living family. I left his "care" for a naturopath "hospitalist" who rides the fine line of AMA vs natural medicine with far more worthy intentions for his patients. The previous MD is now ensconced in federal prison for some 30 years of overprescribing in my community.
After titrating my dose literally by razorblade over 6months time,I utilized magnoil and camomile tea and aspirin every night for sleep. As my gaba receptors recovered, I suffered all the usual benzo withdrawal symptoms, but they lessened every week with more oj, milk over ice with maple syrup, and a string of other supps. Progesterone, niacinamide, D, B's and LOTS of vit C and mblue. Caffeine of any typewas out for 18 months as it sent me into wakefulness for 30hrs at a time with vivid paranoia and emoto paralysis.
Man. Am I ever grateful to have it behind me, life looks and feels SOOOOOO different now. You can do it, stick to your program and avoid excitostimulatory food, drink, media, and situations. I released several clingons and energy vampires in the process. I am hooked on wellness and this forum for the rest of my life, and will remain grateful to the brainiacs here, IdeaLabs and LifeGiving Store for the duration. There. I said it.

lampofred

Keeping calcium higher than phosphate and getting adequate vitamin D and K has sedative effects. So does completely avoiding PUFA and getting enough salt and protein and trace minerals (especially zinc/selenium, from seafood like oysters). Lowering prostaglandins via aspirin would probably also help because some prostaglandins have excitatory effects. Keeping blood sugar up and FFA low is probably the main thing.

You may want to try supplementing progesterone because RP says progesterone and benzos have very similar effects on the brain.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

So I'm currently on 1 mg of Ativan and 5 mg of valium.

Every night I wake up around 2 am, have to get a cigarette smoke, a drink and have to take a pee, and the same thing happens at 6 am. During these times I will become a bit sweaty and have a hard time falling asleep again.

What's a way to speed up gaba receptors regrowing?

akgrrrl

Every night I wake up around 2 am, have to get a cigarette smoke, a drink and have to take a pee, and the same thing happens at 6 am. During these times I will become a bit sweaty and have a hard time falling asleep again.

You have to be tapering off very specifically each week, first of all. There are several supplements that can help. I boosted my overall mitochondrial oxygen with increased activity, oxidal etc Idealabs, and a radical shift in food, magnesium salts baths, all the while inhaling a selection of essential oils . Those became critical to my survival. As many know, detox is not fun. I remain incredibly grateful to be clean and shiny now, optimizing my personality, my skillset, and dreams that were muffled and suppressed by this tiny terrible pill. The update is, that the doctor who prescribed me and 5,000 others finally got busted by the Feds and is in prison as I write this. Our community is cheering, they had been trying to get the attention of authorities for a decade

akgrrrl

Your interrupted sleep is SO the drug. If you had your way, maybe get up to pee and sleepily go back to bed? It took me 18 month to get over 10 years of 1 or 2 mg taken only at night "for sleep" after a life changing accident and reconstructive surgeries

DavidGardner

I would reiterate what others have suggested about pregnenolone or progesterone being helpful. Here is a study to back it up: Neurosteroid coadministration prevents development of tolerance and augments recovery from benzodiazepine withdrawal anxiety and hyperactivity in mic... - PubMed - NCBI

Progesterone, pregnenolone sulfate, and allopregnanolone were among the substances successfully used to reduce the effects of benzodiazepine withdrawal in mice.

Progesterone is an agonist at the benzodiazepine receptor, and pregnenolone sulfate is a GABA antagonist, so it’s interesting that they both worked because in a way, they do the opposite. I suspect it’s due to conversion to neurosteroids, including allopregnanolone, that they exert their beneficial effect.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

On the benzo buddies forum they say to refrain from progesterone as it creates a dependency on it. And to avoid all supplements as they can interfere with the gaba receptors among more (might detox levels of valium in the body, creating unease)

I've cut to 0.75mg of Ativan and I felt horrible as the day went by. Racing thoughts a little bit and overall unrestiness. I hope it will improve by tommorow..

aguineapig

Cyproheptadine can help sleep and some of the rebound anxiety. Beta blockers can also help with the anxiety without creating dependence.

You could also try something like buspirone and let it take full effect (like a month) before trying to taper the benzos. It's a fairly good anxiolytic and doesn't cause dependence.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Cyproheptadine can help sleep and some of the rebound anxiety. Beta blockers can also help with the anxiety without creating dependence.

You could also try something like buspirone and let it take full effect (like a month) before trying to taper the benzos. It's a fairly good anxiolytic and doesn't cause dependence.
I'd rather not get on more drugs. Is Motherwort an option for raised heart rate?

I'm currently on 2.5mg of valium at 9 am in the morning and 5 mg of valium at 9 pm in the evening. I take vitamin C 1000 mg and it makes me feel so much better but I get raised heart rate all the time.

akgrrrl

I'd rather not get on more drugs. Is Motherwort an option for raised heart rate?

I'm currently on 2.5mg of valium at 9 am in the morning and 5 mg of valium at 9 pm in the evening. I take vitamin C 1000 mg and it makes me feel so much better but I get raised heart rate all the time.
Hibiscus tea, hibiscus tea hibiscus tea
If you have read all the threads on this you would know start titrating your doses immediately. You are taking a lot of this chemical. Get a razor blade and gently wean yourself. You need a big hug darling. Here it is, i am sending you one right now.♥️

ebs

You could try some short term baclofen as a substitute.

Magnesium, taurine and glycine are mandatory. I'd be careful with progesterone.

S-VV

The metabolite of progesterone, allopregnenalone, is a GABA.A positive allosteric modulator, and it will cause long-term dependence, just as benzos are PAMs and cause dependence.

Sadly, there is nothing that will speed up the insertion of new receptors in the postsynaptic membrane apart from exotic multipharma interventions. Glycine, niacindamide, taurine, progesterone etc.. will increase GABA signaling and this alleviates symptoms of withdrawal, while slowing the recovery, which is a goos thing. You don't want to end up like Jordan Peterson. The same could be accomplished by a slow taper and you'll save cash and uncertainty.

Antagonising glutamatergic NMDA signaling is a good bet for symptom relief. Magnesium blocks the NMAR pore, but glycine can actually serve a as a NMDAR co-agonist. Careful.

Baclofen is a GABA.B agonist and has nothing to do with Benzos. Don't take it if you don't want another addiction.

Just take it slowly, very slowly. Low dose reductions and long periods between each reduction, and you'll be alright. Some people spent years slowly tapering the dose, and in all cases it invariably worked. Let your body allostatically adapt to each dose reduction.

Good luck and always listen to people who have actually recovered rather than armchair experts like me:)

OP
T

TreasureVibe

The metabolite of progesterone, allopregnenalone, is a GABA.A positive allosteric modulator, and it will cause long-term dependence, just as benzos are PAMs and cause dependence.

Sadly, there is nothing that will speed up the insertion of new receptors in the postsynaptic membrane apart from exotic multipharma interventions. Glycine, niacindamide, taurine, progesterone etc.. will increase GABA signaling and this alleviates symptoms of withdrawal, while slowing the recovery, which is a goos thing. You don't want to end up like Jordan Peterson. The same could be accomplished by a slow taper and you'll save cash and uncertainty.

Antagonising glutamatergic NMDA signaling is a good bet for symptom relief. Magnesium blocks the NMAR pore, but glycine can actually serve a as a NMDAR co-agonist. Careful.

Baclofen is a GABA.B agonist and has nothing to do with Benzos. Don't take it if you don't want another addiction.

Just take it slowly, very slowly. Low dose reductions and long periods between each reduction, and you'll be alright. Some people spent years slowly tapering the dose, and in all cases it invariably worked. Let your body allostatically adapt to each dose reduction.

Good luck and always listen to people who have actually recovered rather than armchair experts like me:)
What about lactobacillus rhamnosus?

I also can't tolerate sugar anymore for some reason, revs my symptoms up a lot, even the smallest cookie is enough to set me off.

Last edited:

Beastmode

Ray Peat is helping me with a family member get off this as well.

His advice is to
1) Get your vitamin D levels checked. (Make sure it's above 50)
2) Drink a lot of milk
3) The BIGGEST one is Progesterone. (Progest-E is the cleanest)

Peat:
"While decreasing an addictive drug, more progesterone can be used according to need, to reduce symptoms. A life-long heroin addict alcoholic stopped his drugs and alcohol overnight, and using progesterone he said it was the first time he didn’t have a hangover the next morning. It took a lot of progesterone over the next few weeks, but a side effect was that his liver cirrhosis was corrected."

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Ray Peat is helping me with a family member get off this as well.

His advice is to
1) Get your vitamin D levels checked. (Make sure it's above 50)
2) Drink a lot of milk
3) The BIGGEST one is Progesterone. (Progest-E is the cleanest)

Peat:
"While decreasing an addictive drug, more progesterone can be used according to need, to reduce symptoms. A life-long heroin addict alcoholic stopped his drugs and alcohol overnight, and using progesterone he said it was the first time he didn’t have a hangover the next morning. It took a lot of progesterone over the next few weeks, but a side effect was that his liver cirrhosis was corrected."
The post before this one actually says progesterone is bad for benzos in particular.

Frankdee20

Kava has been reported in one study to actually up regulate GABA receptors and this night explain reverse tolerance attributed to its use...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals