Benefits Of Vitamin D, Symptoms Of Low D, Tips For Increasing + We Talk Estrogen Dominance W/Jodelle

Inaut

Time Stamps:
2:04 Why Vitamin D is so crucial to our health
12:00 How Vitamin D helps your hormones 15:10 What is it crucial for
17:20 Side-bar on estrogen testing and the epidemic of excess estrogen
22:50 Two best tests to know if your estrogen is high
28:59 Symptoms of Low Vitamin D (What to look for)
37:20 My Theory on the health of Hawaiians 38:25 Vitamin D and Weight Loss
43:20 Why you should eat butter & other foods that contain Vitamin D
46:54 Tanning beds and reptile lamps
53:35 How to supplement Vitamin D properly
59:00 Good rule of thumb for standard Vitamin D dosing and what co-factors we need

Amazoniac

These are nice atoxic people, shouldn't be regulated as drugs.

If killcidiol is active, it wouldn't be surprising if it dropped along with metabolism.

Raj in 'Peptides, coherent adaptation, and some terminal diseases: The roles of thyroid, progesterone, calcium, salt--issues of energy and inflammation; towards an organismic paradigm for medicine':

"Intracellular calcium overload is an essential feature of heart failure and hypertrophy (Malyshev, Meerson, 1990). Both vitamin D and vitamin K require carbon dioxide for disposing of calcium properly, preventing its toxicity. When carbon dioxide is inadequate, for example from simple hyperventilation or from hypothyroidism, calcium is allowed to enter cells, causing inappropriate excitation, sometimes followed by calcification."​

In this case, it should be one of the last deficiencies to be addressed through supplementation, at least if it's not severe.

It's common to have a positive response to it, making us suspect that lowering is not intentional, but (on the other hand) it's not rare for it to be accompanied by issues that result in complaints.

Here's one that's not limited to supplements:
- Migraine Headache Triggered Specifically by Sunlight: Report of 16 Cases

Therefore, I wouldn't precipitate the blame on venom D supplement, it can be the person that doesn't process toxins right.

- Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis

"Although aging decreases the amount of 7-dehydrocholesterol produced in the skin by as much as 75% by the age of 70 y (16, 17), the skin has such a large capacity to make vitamin D3 that even elderly exposed to sunlight can achieve increased blood concentrations of vitamin D3 and 25(OH)D (17–19)."​

⬑ [17] Age, vitamin D, and solar ultraviolet
⬑ [18] Prophylaxis against vitamin D deficiency in the elderly by regular sunlight exposure
⬑ [19] Subliminal ultraviolet-B irradiation for the prevention of vitamin D deficiency in the elderly: a feasibility study

⬑ [16] Aging decreases the capacity of human skin to produce vitamin D3

upload_2020-1-15_11-20-7.png

upload_2020-1-15_11-21-14.png

The synthesis is reduced, but it's little to do with being less efficient, it's mainly a consequence of drop in epidermis atherosclerol content (solid circles is at the top of Figure 1). It's practical to focus on epidermis since it's where most of the contamination occurs.

Perhaps it's better for older people to expose themselves more often so that the concentration and defenses are restored.

- The Importance of Body Weight for the Dose Response Relationship of Oral Vitamin D Supplementation and Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in Healthy Volunteers

Last edited:

Amazoniac

- Clinical Review: The Role of the Parent Compound Vitamin D with Respect to Metabolism and Function: Why Clinical Dose Intervals Can Affect Clinical Outcomes

"Adams et al (46) first described the magnitude and time course by which "vi"ta"min" D3 is produced and released into the circulation. This work clearly demonstrated that the human body could produce and release thousands of IU of vitamin D3 into the circulation within 24 hours of modest UV exposure (46), whereas orally ingested vitamin D3 appears in the circulation at a more rapid pace, with a 12-hour peak rather than a 24-hour peak (34, 46, 47). Furthermore, there is a different plasma distribution of vitamin D in oral vs UV-stimulated release (34); yet, the circulating half-life of the compound by either route is of the order of 12–24 hours (34). Because of this short half-life, even large bolus vitamin D doses of 50,000 to 100,000 IU are cleared from the circulation within a week, making vitamin D basically undetectable in the circulation (46–49)."​

- Active Vitamin D in Chronic Kidney Disease: Getting Right Back Where We Started from?

"[..]liver hydroxylase is not regulated by negative feedback and, thus, calcidiol production is mainly substrate dependent."​

Amazoniac

"The limitation of using 1,25D clinically to treat autoimmunity was hypercalcemia that developed at the therapeutic doses of 1,25D [6]. Interestingly, limiting dietary calcium reduced the suppressive capacity of 1,25D on T cell function or autoimmunity, indicating that the effects of 1,25D on T cells are calcium dependent [6]."

"Like the VDR, the level of 1,25D is tissue specific. In the kidney, the expression of 1alpha hydroxylase (Cyp27B1) is induced by hypocalcemia and the parathyroid hormone [13,53]. In a feedback loop, 1,25D inhibits Cyp27B1 expression in the kidney and induces Cyp24A1 to eliminate excess 1,25D (Box 1). The immune system can also be a source of locally produced 1,25D; however, the amount of Cyp27B1 made by immune cells is extremely low compared with the amount produced in the kidney [11,13]. In addition, the signals that regulate the Cyp27B1 in immune cells are not the same as those that regulate renal Cyp27B1 [11,13]. Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) activation of human macrophages is required for induction of Cyp27B1 [11,54]. Conversely, LPS has no effect on renal production of Cyp27B1 [13]."​

Dave Clark

Time Stamps:
59:00 Good rule of thumb for standard Vitamin D dosing and what co-factors we need

I just wanted to say thank you for posting these videos of Georgi and Peat. I appreciate you putting these on so quickly so those of us that aren't connected/subscribed, etc. can watch them.

GenericName86

"The limitation of using 1,25D clinically to treat autoimmunity was hypercalcemia that developed at the therapeutic doses of 1,25D [6]. Interestingly, limiting dietary calcium reduced the suppressive capacity of 1,25D on T cell function or autoimmunity, indicating that the effects of 1,25D on T cells are calcium dependent [6]."​

That's interesting, I believe the Coimbra Protocol says you should avoid all calcium when treating autoimmune issues.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I just wanted to say thank you for posting these videos of Georgi and Peat. I appreciate you putting these on so quickly so those of us that aren't connected/subscribed, etc. can watch them.

Very kind of you to say so Dave. Thanks!

I think haidut's suggestion of something like 2000 IU orally and 4000 topically is great.

Dave Clark

Since light came up in the video discussion, I wonder if anyone has seen this website: Science of Light
They promote a light that is 'true' full spectrum with NIR in the mix called Solshine.

sweetpeat

At the 1 hour mark he talks about how most of the oral vitamin D will go to the liver and get held there, especially if your liver is unhealthy and deficient in D. If you have high liver enzymes, for instance. Because of this, it may take longer than normal for blood levels of vitamin D to rise. He says up to 6 months. Something to consider if someone has trouble raising vitamin D levels. Maybe it's issues with your liver.

cyclops

What are reptile lamps, never heard that term before. Is that the same thing as the brooder heat lamps that have been recommended here? If so, does anyone know if those contain UV, because he was saying if it contains any component of UV you should only do 30 minutes max.

David PS

dfspcc20

I like Jodelle's interviews and think they're helpful, but one thing stuck with me from this one.

She mentioned that Hawaiians don't have issues with obesity. Is that true?

Though Hawaii does appear to be healthier than most states in that regard (just behind Colorado), obesity does seem to be a significant issue for the native population. It doesn't take much digging to find info supporting that. Similar for Guam and Samoa (and probably most of the Pacific Islands).

I don't think that it's just due to their "body type" or whatever she wrote it off as.

Probably similar to the native (i.e. conquered) populations elsewhere, I suspect it's more an issue with poverty. Side note: new favorite quote of mine from Ray Peat: "The elimination of poverty and malnutrition can prevent many epidemics -- poverty is a reservoir of infection."

I've only spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii, and that time was just in touristy areas, where most of the people I saw appeared to be from the mainland or Japan.

Can anyone with more experience in Hawaii confirm or deny?

Zpol

Can anyone with more experience in Hawaii confirm or deny?

There's a lot of obesity and ill health in native Hawaiins. My sister lives on Oahu. I've visited several times. One night, my mom and I took my niece for a drive to help her fall asleep and ended up driving through a "Hawaiin Homeland", it looked the same as any native Indian reservation around here in Wisconsin. Run down, low income housing, sad. Natives eat a lot of Spam and greasy fried foods plus traditional foods that have been adulterated for convenience. For the most part it's just the wealthy people there that are experiencing vibrant health, and they are usually transplants from the mainland or they were healthy and decided to live low budget which is doable if you start from a good place. If you are wealthy, Hawaii is the place to live, it's beautiful and sunny. If you can afford to buy or grow healthy food there, and afford housing, and still be able to have enough leisure time to enjoy life, then you really can't go wrong in Hawaii. But, that's not the case for most people there. My sister's husband just suffered an aortic dissection, stroke, and seizure, at age 40 while living there. It's not an easy life if you have to work super hard to earn a living and live under constant financial stress, on top of that be an ocean away from your extended family and security network.

dfspcc20

There's a lot of obesity and ill health in native Hawaiins. My sister lives on Oahu. I've visited several times. One night, my mom and I took my niece for a drive to help her fall asleep and ended up driving through a "Hawaiin Homeland", it looked the same as any native Indian reservation around here in Wisconsin. Run down, low income housing, sad. Natives eat a lot of Spam and greasy fried foods plus traditional foods that have been adulterated for convenience. For the most part it's just the wealthy people there that are experiencing vibrant health, and they are usually transplants from the mainland or they were healthy and decided to live low budget which is doable if you start from a good place. If you are wealthy, Hawaii is the place to live, it's beautiful and sunny. If you can afford to buy or grow healthy food there, and afford housing, and still be able to have enough leisure time to enjoy life, then you really can't go wrong in Hawaii. But, that's not the case for most people there. My sister's husband just suffered an aortic dissection, stroke, and seizure, at age 40 while living there. It's not an easy life if you have to work super hard to earn a living and live under constant financial stress, on top of that be an ocean away from your extended family and security network.

Thanks for sharing!
I felt like it was a fairly ignorant assertion on Jodelle's part.

GelatinGoblin

Hawaiian have a genetic predisposition for gaining fat and anabolism. It's why they are so many of them in the NFL

rayban

- Clinical Review: The Role of the Parent Compound Vitamin D with Respect to Metabolism and Function: Why Clinical Dose Intervals Can Affect Clinical Outcomes

"Adams et al (46) first described the magnitude and time course by which "vi"ta"min" D3 is produced and released into the circulation. This work clearly demonstrated that the human body could produce and release thousands of IU of vitamin D3 into the circulation within 24 hours of modest UV exposure (46), whereas orally ingested vitamin D3 appears in the circulation at a more rapid pace, with a 12-hour peak rather than a 24-hour peak (34, 46, 47). Furthermore, there is a different plasma distribution of vitamin D in oral vs UV-stimulated release (34); yet, the circulating half-life of the compound by either route is of the order of 12–24 hours (34). Because of this short half-life, even large bolus vitamin D doses of 50,000 to 100,000 IU are cleared from the circulation within a week, making vitamin D basically undetectable in the circulation (46–49)."​

- Active Vitamin D in Chronic Kidney Disease: Getting Right Back Where We Started from?

"[..]liver hydroxylase is not regulated by negative feedback and, thus, calcidiol production is mainly substrate dependent."​
Wouldn't it be better to use a smaller dose like 200 UI daily rather than these super high dosages once a week? why would you need more than 200 UI? that plus 15 minutes of sun should be enough? because I don't want to fix a problem to create another one (skin aging faster)

Amazoniac

Wouldn't it be better to use a smaller dose like 200 UI daily rather than these super high dosages once a week? why would you need more than 200 UI? that plus 15 minutes of sun should be enough? because I don't want to fix a problem to create another one (skin aging faster)
Yes, the daily dose of venom and partners divided as often as possible; fattier meals can be favored. Ensuring adequacy with supplementation might cut exposure length needed to reap some of the benefits, but others require longer exposures.

ddjd

Time Stamps:

people dont understand how VITAL it is to take vitamin d and magnesium together.

also, something i missed for many years, was that vitamin d capsules dont absorb well in the stomach. oral absorption is hugely superior.

the way i do it, isnt pleasant but it works extremely well. i take magnesium powder with vitamin d (in olive oil base) orally, swish it around my mouth for 10 minutes for full oral absorption. works so much better. glycinate and malate seem to be the best forms of mag.

Dave Clark

No one in Hawaii gets the cold and flu? Funny, I believe they have had some of the strictest coof rules and response of any of the US states, if I am correct. According to that, looks like either paranoia, or her theory isn't correct and people are getting sick, just like everyone else. Wonder what the stats say?