Benefits of L-Cysteine overlooked?

ddjd

Controversial post I know!

So I've been peating 5 plus years. In that time I've benefited in a huge number of ways, I never get a cold or flu, my mental health has improved a lot and I'm happier in myself. But the negatives have always been weight gain (30 kilos!!), Sluggish/ fatty liver, gallbladder problems. Bloating/SIBO also an issue. Also my productivity has been a lot lower since peating and my insomnia/sleep issues still an issue.

Until now I've never appreciated just how much the peat approach has significantly reduced my cysteine/methionine

after doing an experiment with taking isolated L-cysteine 500mg and L-methionine 500mg capsules I've confirmed that this has been the issue all along.

L-cysteine particularly stops all my bloating, is helping significantly with weight loss, reducing my high cholesterol, giving me very positive mindset and productivity. I feel cognitively more switched on and more socially confident.

My sleep is also incredible now, I fall asleep when my head hits the pillow! This is so rare for me. And achieved thanks to only 500mg l-cysteine capsule daily.

I FULLY understand that high cysteine is not safe long term. I suspect in supplement form it's even more dangerous.

So what are my options....

I'm considering;

- whey protein (natural source of l-cysteine)

- Alaskan pollock (cheap, low fat, methionine/cysteine source)

I 100% still believe in peats approach for longevity and overall health but maybe we need to recognise low cysteine / methionine can have some serious drawbacks.

when I achieve such considerable improvements in day to day quality of life from the cysteine, I really need to find a way to raise my cysteine in a healthy way over the long term.

Any suggestions or approaches for safely raising cysteine much appreciated.

For instance i read that taking vitamin c with cysteine helps counteract some bad side effects.

Last edited:

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
@ddjd
Very interesting, even though the thread is kind of old. It´s a shame that noone answered.

Did you take L-cystein or N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC)? When in the day did/do you take it? Do you still take it?

Thank you!!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals