Benefits Of Ice Cream Before Bed

Stunning4keke

i can't find anywhere it talks about how or why eating ice cream helps sleep? i even googled a bunch of things.
and is Hagen Daaz the only ice cream without the guar gums?
and are there any recipies to make your own ice cream?

thanks! Stunning
(or keke)

J

j.

Stunning4keke said:
and is Hagen Daaz the only ice cream without the guar gums?

You can read the ingredients list of ice creams, or sometimes they'll tell you if it's not listed.

key

it helps because it is has sugar and saturated fat; both of which are anti-stress

any saturated fat + sugar will have basically the same effect

Mittir

He talked about ice creams in audio interviews. There is a ice cream recipe of RP at this site

"ICE CREAM (RECIPE)
I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary. "

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html

4peatssake

If you have an ice cream maker, you can also make delicious ice cream in many different flavors using pure ingredients.

Dutchie

Mittir said:
He talked about ice creams in audio interviews. There is a ice cream recipe of RP at this site

"ICE CREAM (RECIPE)
I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary. "

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html

RP probably uses Skim Milk,but I wonder if it\s possible to substitute the milk powder/skim milk&CO instead for Goat's Milk?.....the fat in the milk should keep it from crystalizing also and it's high in Sat.Fat&MCT's also.

I even wonder if I could leave out the egg?I think I'd get more of what's called a soft-icecream(milk&sugar only and commercially with lots of additives/thickeners. Don't know if a thickener is necessary,but I'm thinking I could maybe add some coconutflour or gelatin as a thickener?) over here.....though one yolk on a liter probably doesn't provide that much unsaturated fat/PUFA as I'm currently trying to experiment with mainly high sat.fat/MCT sources from Coconut,Goat&Sheep dairy (and Cow to a lesser extend).....unfortunately Goat&Sheep cheeses are also very high in proteine and fat per 100gram,which is such a small amount.:'(....and haven't found the original SheepMilk Ricotta either.

Dan W

Stunning4keke said:
is Hagen Daaz the only ice cream without the guar gums?

I know of a couple others without gums, lecithin, etc:
  • Blue Bunny Premium All Natural (only the Vanilla)
  • Turkey Hill All Natural (for basic flavors)

I think people have mentioned some regional store-brands that also work. At some point I'll try to track all of them down and make a big ol' ice cream additives page.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

awesome, thank you!

so i don't start a new thread, can anyone tell me how much PUFA eggs have in them and what is safe amount to use daily if you still wish to go about detoxifying PUFA out of the body?
i also heard eggs were a good source to help one's own progesterone to build up?

J

j.

Stunning4keke said:
awesome, thank you!

so i don't start a new thread, can anyone tell me how much PUFA eggs have in them and what is safe amount to use daily if you still wish to go about detoxifying PUFA out of the body?
i also heard eggs were a good source to help one's own progesterone to build up?

I eat two daily.

HDD

It depends on the eggs. Free-roaming pastured eggs aren't the same as grocery store eggs and are preferable. Cook them in coconut oil. I believe RP says only one or two a day if you can't get good eggs (I may have this wrong, it might be a week) I get pastured and eat 2 daily cooked in coconut oil and butter.

Mittir

A large egg has about 600 mg of PUFA. RP suggested to limit PUFA to 4 grams per day. You also have to consider the ratio of PUFA to saturated fat. You want to have way more saturated fat than PUFA to have a good ratio. Vitamin A ( retinol) is quite important and RP suggests egg yolks as a good source, but best source is liver. If your diet is mostly milk and cheese i think you can afford to have 1 or 2 eggs daily . Ray Peat gives slightly different number of eggs to different people, starting from 2-3 egg weekly to 1 to 2 eggs daily. I eat 4 oz of liver every week and 2-3 egg yolks per week. Egg white can be quite allergenic.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

thanks Mittir,

do you get the ruminant liver? not sure of the spelling? so you only eat the egg yolks? do you ever eat them raw? or how to you prepare them.
what is the purpose of cooking things in both butter and coconut oil like cooking an egg? can you do either or?
sorry for all the questions. new with anxiety about all this. but my first order of business is getting rid of all my cosmetics with PUFA's and learning exactly all that is a PUFA and how i can start detoxing PUFA?

and one last thing, sorry! is sea buckthorne oil, kukui oil, carrot oil, and borage oil all PUFa's. i am trying to find a good body lotion other than just pure coconut oil. thank you so much if you are able to answer all these questions and if not, thank you!

JohnS

I know of a couple others without gums, lecithin, etc:
  • Blue Bunny Premium All Natural (only the Vanilla)
  • Turkey Hill All Natural (for basic flavors)

I think people have mentioned some regional store-brands that also work. At some point I'll try to track all of them down and make a big ol' ice cream additives page.[/quote]

What about this one? http://threetwinsicecream.com/icecream/ ... bean-speck

Mittir

Stunning4keke said:
thanks Mittir,

do you get the ruminant liver? not sure of the spelling? so you only eat the egg yolks? do you ever eat them raw? or how to you prepare them.
what is the purpose of cooking things in both butter and coconut oil like cooking an egg? can you do either or?
sorry for all the questions. new with anxiety about all this. but my first order of business is getting rid of all my cosmetics with PUFA's and learning exactly all that is a PUFA and how i can start detoxing PUFA?

and one last thing, sorry! is sea buckthorne oil, kukui oil, carrot oil, and borage oil all PUFa's. i am trying to find a good body lotion other than just pure coconut oil. thank you so much if you are able to answer all these questions and if not, thank you!

Ruminant liver and chicken liver both are fine. I like lamb and chicken liver, tend to have milder taste.
I never tried raw egg yolk, but a quick fry in coconut oil or butter. It gives a good ratio of saturated fat and PUFA in egg yolk.
I only eat yolk,if you are not allergic to egg white you can choose to eat he whole egg. Egg protein can lower blood sugar quickly. Always eat oj or other sugar with egg to keep blood sugar level normal.
If you are lean and young it will take much shorter time for you to remove PUFA from your body once you start avoiding PUFA.
Except for coconut, palm, butter and animal fat most other oils have good amount of PUFA. You need to be sure about the amount of oil absorbed through skin before you worry about skin products.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

well, i don't know how to be sure of the amount of oil absorbed through the skin? i just read that link you sent on the other thread. i do think it makes sense to at least have a good ratio and try to get a skin care lotion that doesn't have a whole bunch of PUFA in it. i don't know?

but i have cut out all PUFA that i know about. isn't chicken a PUFA? does RP say it's okay to have it once every 10 days?
so we can still detoxify PUFA if we follow those guidelines such as:

cook eggs in either coconut oil or butter
eat chicken once every ten days
refry bacon on coconut oil (or whatever RP does with his bacon to get the PuFA out?
?
thanks!

jaketthomas

I had been eating Turkey Hill All Natural Ice Cream (no gums), but I find that something more hearty and fatty like Haagen Dazs is better. I love Haagen Dazs coffee flavor.

Dutchie

I found this organic brand in Germany called roggekamp. And i think their ingredientlist is the same as hD only everything organic and raw cane sugar instead of white sugar.

Jenn

jaketthomas said:
I had been eating Turkey Hill All Natural Ice Cream (no gums), but I find that something more hearty and fatty like Haagen Dazs is better. I love Haagen Dazs coffee flavor.

Ditto. I think it's the egg/extra protein.

Any combination of sat. fat, low tryp protein and sugar that is easy for YOUR body to digest is going to help you sleep. Gelatin based foods work well too...or a few fries. Some days I can eat a late dinner, some days, only some OJ with salt is all I can handle.

Dutchie

Lisa Green said:
While frozen yogurt is often touted as being a healthy choice, that's only partially true. In comparison to ice cream, it's much healthier, but when you compare it to regular yogurt, it's less healthy. It has elevated levels of sugar and approximately a third of the protein. This makes fro-yo a healthy alternative to ice cream recipe, but not as good of an option as a cup of the regular stuff.

The area where frozen yogurt is a clear winner is in the fat content department. This is important to anyone who's trying to watch their weight because the calories from fat are the worst ones to be taking in. It has less than 1 percent fat content by volume while ice cream typically has 10 to 15% fat by volume. The difference is the presence of milk fat. Fro-yo only uses enough to give it a creamy consistency, while its less healthy cousin uses it and milk solids in large amounts. This makes the clear winner obvious for those wishing to choose the healthier option for dessert.
How do you make frozen yoghurt icecream? The problem with icecream for me is the use of cream,bc it seems like im not handling cowfat that well and i cant find goatcream:( and i want to enjoy icecream too! I even bougth an icecreammaker,tried to make vanilla icecream with goatmilk but its now frozen rocksolid and not creamy at all,more watery crystallized.
I did once see a video of this bodybuilder guy,who made sorta icecream of cottage cheese but he used peanutbutter and i also think almond milk in the recipe. The milk i can replace but im not sure if peanutbutter is merely for taste or that it matters for consistency and what to replace it with.

Jenn

I use cottage cheese for smoothies now. If you blend with a small amount of liquid first you can eliminate the graininess of the cottage cheese. Gelatin can give a "creamy" mouth feel. Adding enough sugar will help with the freezing point, as will adding alcohol. Cream has a different freezing point than water which is why it can be "soft" when frozen. Letting it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge can help it soften to, before eating.