Beneficial Effects of Spirulina Consumption on Brain Health

David PS

Spirulina is a microscopic, filamentous cyanobacterium that grows in alkaline water bodies. It is extensively utilized as a nutraceutical food supplement all over the world due to its high levels of functional compounds, such as phycocyanins, phenols and polysaccharides, with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, immunomodulating properties both in vivo and in vitro. Several scientific publications have suggested its positive effects in various pathologies such as cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, hyperglycemia, obesity, hypertension, tumors and inflammatory diseases. Lately, different studies have demonstrated the neuroprotective role of Spirulina on the development of the neural system, senility and a number of pathological conditions, including neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. This review focuses on the role of Spirulina in the brain, highlighting how it exerts its beneficial anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, acting on glial cell activation, and in the prevention and/or progression of neurodegenerative diseases, in particular Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and Multiple Sclerosis; due to these properties, Spirulina could be considered a potential natural drug. View Full-Text

OP
David PS

David PS

johnwester130

I always thought this was a scam that could never be used as real food and that the body actually rejects it

Maybe I was wrong

OP
David PS

David PS

Last edited:

Havde

I ate a ton of Spirulina a few years ago after reading about it on Anabolicmen.com haha, can't say I noticed any kind of difference though.

Veritas IV

Careful with sourcing this product. If purchased blindly it has a high likelihood of being contaminated / toxic.

It depends both on where and how it's farmed, seemed tricky but not impossible to locate good product, it just takes some actual research. Sorry as i no longer have my own research links, my last attempt was about 3 months ago.

For Spirulina, take a pass on common brands like nature's way, nature's plus, nature's truth and similar generic stuff.

I took it many years ago, for over a year. Nothing too positive nor negative to say about the experience, i probably didn't need what it had to offer.

Buying any ol' crap is probably detrimental. Spirulina can be contaminated with heavy metals, microcystins, neurotoxins such as BMAA.

If a manufacturer cannot provide a detailed report verifying the absence of all of the above, then it should be steered clear from.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals