Benadryl

HDD

In order to not jack the other thread, I will post the information I found here. I went searching for what I had read that changed my mind about Benadryl.

Some quotes from Functionalps.com - (could not copy and paste but found this doing google from Dan Wich search engine)

"Benadryl (diphenhydramine) protects the liver and other organs from various toxins and the toxic effects of histamine."

"Since polyunsaturated fatty acids become integrated into all types of cells and cause so many types of damage when they are released, everything which inhibits the release is protective. Niacinamide, Benadryl, aspirin (Yu, et al., 2003), and procaine help to reduce the release of fatty acids."

Peatarian wrote on topic of antihistamines-
"
....I think benadryl (or other anti-histamines) is safe but it will make you tired. You could try it before you go to bed. Just don't overdose. It can be that after using benadryl for some weeks you experience some withdrawal symptoms though I am not sure this is the right term. Nothing serious just to let you know"

Birdie wrote-

Hi diane,
"Ray says benadryl helps lower histamine and serotonin. 
That's mainly why I was wanting to be able to take it. ..."

These are not the quotes that changed my mind but they are good, too.

I don't plan to take Benadryl forever but it has helped me to get much needed rest while I am regaining my health.

Jenn

My experience with diphenhydramine is that it is an awesome sleep aid, depending on the person and the dose. I am normally a very light sleeper and I sleep DEEP with a single dose. I can only take it at night (or if I have time for a nap) as I WILL fall asleep with in an hour or so of taking it. I feel very rested and refreshed. Initially, last year, I had to stop taking it for a while, as I could not drink enough or digest well enough to stay hydrated. It is anti mucous, and while mucous can be clogging, it also helps retain moisture. I was unable to keep up with the evaporation rate. This year, I was having a hard time sleeping and started taking it again. My digestion is better, my kidneys are stronger and I have not had the same issues. I take as needed.

OP
H

HDD

The use of antihistamines (histamine-1 blockers) such as Benadryl has been associated with a greatly reduced risk (0.2) of developing MS (Alonso, et al., 2006). Benadryl blocks histamine's stimulating effect on prolactin secretion (Rivier and Vale, 1977).

The mast cells, which release histamine and other inflammation-provoking materials in the brain, are an important link between stress and the inflammation that produces demyelination in MS. The histamine they release activates nitric oxide formation, and damages the blood-brain barrier. The number of mast cells in the brain is variable, and can be significantly altered within a few days simply by changed living arrangements (Asarian, et al., 2002). -RP

This information is what made me see Benadryl as something that could be beneficial in more ways than helping with sleep.

Peata

I take 1 to 2 Benadryl almost every night. It helps with histamine and helps with sleep.

OP
H

HDD

Estradiol increases the release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells (Vliagoftis et al. 1992). In an experiment, a relapse of bronchial obstruction during women's menstrual cycle was observed. Incubating blood and rising rates of estrogens produce an increase of histamine release (Terral C, et al., 1981). Antihistamines block estrogen's effects (Szego, 1965; Szego and Davis, 1967).

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2013/6/4 ... le-hormone

I was reading this article by Danny Roddy and this jumped out at me. I use Benadyl regularly for sound sleep. I tried cutting my dose to 12.5 mg at bedtime and this made me feel worse the next day. I always feel good the next day on 25 mg.

I am considering a low dose in the daytime to specifically block estrogen. A low enough dose that wouldn't cause drowsiness. Does that sound reasonable?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peata

I haven't been taking it for a good while (just haven't felt like I needed it), but I found I was able to take 1/4 of a 25 mg. pill in the daytime without getting drowsy.

OP
H

HDD

Peata said:
We were discussing Benadryl a while back, but in relation to serotonin. But you still might want to have a look: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2248&hilit=benadryl

Thanks for the link, Peata. I remembered the discussion, but at that time, I was only concerned with the effects for sleep. There is a lot of good information in that thread. I thought the benadryl might help my son in some way.

A

Anonymous

Peat said in one of the audio interviews that diphenhydramine would only be good to take if you can get the pure form and that Benadryl is cut with very noxious and toxic excipients.

OP
H

HDD

Wheat and PUFAs said:
Peat said in one of the audio interviews that diphenhydramine would only be good to take if you can get the pure form and that Benadryl is cut with very noxious and toxic excipients.

Ignorance was bliss!

Thanks W&P. :|

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jaa said:
Damn anyone know where to source the pure stuff?

Bump for this. I would like to source some pure Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl). Does anyone know where to get this?

109067.jpg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
Estradiol increases the release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells (Vliagoftis et al. 1992). In an experiment, a relapse of bronchial obstruction during women's menstrual cycle was observed. Incubating blood and rising rates of estrogens produce an increase of histamine release (Terral C, et al., 1981). Antihistamines block estrogen's effects (Szego, 1965; Szego and Davis, 1967).
Thank you, Diane! Needed this. :hattip

I use ebastine; it contains neither chlorine nor fluorine, and doesn't really cross the blood brain barrier. It's over the counter, but beware of aspartame containing formulations.

LUH 3417

I use ebastine; it contains neither chlorine nor fluorine, and doesn't really cross the blood brain barrier. It's over the counter, but beware of aspartame containing formulations.
How about children's allergy medication?

These are the ingredients listed on the label:
Active: Diphenhydramine HCI 12.5 mg in each tsp. Inactive: Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, flavors, glycerin, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sorbital solution.

Do you have any thoughts on the inactive ingredients?
Amazon.com: Rite Aid Childrens Allergy Relief Bubble Gum Flavored 4 Fl Oz: Health & Personal Care

How about children's allergy medication?

These are the ingredients listed on the label:
Active: Diphenhydramine HCI 12.5 mg in each tsp. Inactive: Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, flavors, glycerin, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, sorbital solution.

Do you have any thoughts on the inactive ingredients?
Amazon.com: Rite Aid Childrens Allergy Relief Bubble Gum Flavored 4 Fl Oz: Health & Personal Care

That doesn't look too bad... probably won't find much better.

golder

Any chance any knows the episode this is from? Thanks so much!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals