Benadryl Warning

Kray

Dyphenhydramine has significant serotonergic effects in dosages of ~150 mg or higher.
DaveFoster- Do you think children's benadryl liquid is ok to take daily at bedtime at a dose of 10mL? I am needing it to control itching from eczema. Are there known cumulative effects even in low doses, and at what point would I know? I don't like the idea of anticholinergics if it's not the body's natural way to balance things. Any help would be appreciated.

Peachy

Well, that's old news. I've been taking 1/2 a tablet every night since 2019.
Hi Birdie. Have you noticed any changes in health other than improved sleep? Can you sleep without it?

I’ve thought about doing a small amount of Benadryl for a period of time to try to move toward getting 8 hours regularly.

DaveFoster

DaveFoster- Do you think children's benadryl liquid is ok to take daily at bedtime at a dose of 10mL? I am needing it to control itching from eczema. Are there known cumulative effects even in low doses, and at what point would I know? I don't like the idea of anticholinergics if it's not the body's natural way to balance things. Any help would be appreciated.
Dementia, I think.

Dementia, I think.
“For example, a long-term follow-up study showed that people who took an anticholinergic medication every day for more than 3 years had a significantly higher risk of developing dementia compared to people who did not take them at all. However, the study did not report on individual medications like Benadryl.
A short-term follow-up study found that people taking anticholinergic medications had signs of brain shrinkage on MRI scans. They also scored lower on mental tests compared to people not taking the medications. These findings point to dementia but don’t necessarily mean that the affected people had dementia. The study also didn’t determine which specific medications (such as Benadryl) were linked to the MRI results and test scores.“

Jessie

The few times I've tried Benadryl was always in the 25-50mg range. It's okay but I don't think it's effective on the 5-HT receptors very much. If you plan on taking anticholinergic medications long-term (which I don't recommend) you should probably get on phosphatidylcholine. Maybe some B12 as well. Nicotine is another cholinergic booster.

Kray

“For example, a long-term follow-up study showed that people who took an anticholinergic medication every day for more than 3 years had a significantly higher risk of developing dementia compared to people who did not take them at all. However, the study did not report on individual medications like Benadryl.
A short-term follow-up study found that people taking anticholinergic medications had signs of brain shrinkage on MRI scans. They also scored lower on mental tests compared to people not taking the medications. These findings point to dementia but don’t necessarily mean that the affected people had dementia. The study also didn’t determine which specific medications (such as Benadryl) were linked to the MRI results and test scores.“

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback and tips.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have been reading the Grant Genereux/VitA toxicity thread, and connecting some dots. High-A foods, high-choline foods (eggs, liver tops), taking anti-CHOLINErgic meds for ECZEMA. Vitamin A toxicity? I am cautiously optimistic, as I will begin a low-A diet today. I may not even need the Benadryl anymore. I will report back if I remember. No pun intended 😊🙏

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback and tips.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have been reading the Grant Genereux/VitA toxicity thread, and connecting some dots. High-A foods, high-choline foods (eggs, liver tops), taking anti-CHOLINErgic meds for ECZEMA. Vitamin A toxicity? I am cautiously optimistic, as I will begin a low-A diet today. I may not even need the Benadryl anymore. I will report back if I remember. No pun intended 😊🙏
I am rooting for you!

DaveFoster

Thank you. The association is there. It could be that people who take anticholinergics tend to have problems relieved by anticholinergics, and such problems would be causing the increased dementia risk. For example, unbridled mast cell activation or chronic insomnia with deleterious effects upon sleep.

Thank you. The association is there. It could be that people who take anticholinergics tend to have problems relieved by anticholinergics, and such problems would be causing the increased dementia risk. For example, unbridled mast cell activation or chronic insomnia with deleterious effects upon sleep.
Here is a list of them….

“US Brand Name

Akineton
Artane
Bentyl
Cantil
Cogentin
Colidrops Pediatric
Cystospaz
Detrol
Ditropan
Ed-Spaz
Enablex
HyoMax
HyoMax-DT
HyoMax-FT
HyoMax-SR
Hyosyne
IB-Stat
Levsinex
Neosol
Norflex
Nulev
Oscimin
Oscimin-SR
Oxytrol
Pamine
Pro-Banthine
Pro-Hyo
Robinul
Sanctura
Scopodex
Spacol TS
Spasdel
Symax
Symax Duotab
Symmetrel
Toviaz
Transderm Scop
Urispas
Vesicare
Canadian Brand Name

Buscopan
Levsin
Pms-Trihexyphenidyl
Transderm-V”

Kray

Here is a list of them….

“US Brand Name

Akineton
Artane
Bentyl
Cantil
Cogentin
Colidrops Pediatric
Cystospaz
Detrol
Ditropan
Ed-Spaz
Enablex
HyoMax
HyoMax-DT
HyoMax-FT
HyoMax-SR
Hyosyne
IB-Stat
Levsinex
Neosol
Norflex
Nulev
Oscimin
Oscimin-SR
Oxytrol
Pamine
Pro-Banthine
Pro-Hyo
Robinul
Sanctura
Scopodex
Spacol TS
Spasdel
Symax
Symax Duotab
Symmetrel
Toviaz
Transderm Scop
Urispas
Vesicare
Canadian Brand Name

Buscopan
Levsin
Pms-Trihexyphenidyl
Transderm-V”

Wow, that's a list.

@DaveFoster- what do you think about Benadryl Spray? I stopped oral Benadryl, but I use the spray to quell skin itching at night. I couldn't get an answer from the manufacturer, except that it's 2% solution in 2 oz. I used some last night and slept through soundly, which I don't usually do. I also applied about 30mg progesterone so I don't know if it was one, the other, or the combo. I only use the spray when I can't relax due to itching, so maybe 2-3 times per week.

Kray

Wow, that's a list.

@DaveFoster- what do you think about Benadryl Spray? I stopped oral Benadryl, but I use the spray to quell skin itching at night. I couldn't get an answer from the manufacturer, except that it's 2% solution in 2 oz. I used some last night and slept through soundly, which I don't usually do. I also applied about 30mg progesterone so I don't know if it was one, the other, or the combo. I only use the spray when I can't relax due to itching, so maybe 2-3 times per week.
Edit- I think my dry itchy skin rashes are due to vitamin A overload, which I am now reducing. As I have, my skin is less reactive and red, but flares up when I cheat- like eating out or at someone's home where I don't always have good options.

DaveFoster

Wow, that's a list.

I'd need to know the ingredients to make a determination. As far as I know, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is relatively easy to dissolve in hot water. A small amount of hot water and some tablets could allow the drug to disperse in solution, and one may then drink the liquid without consuming the excipients found in the tablets. Allowing the sediment to settle at the bottom of the container away from the hot water, and then just drinking the water would be helpful. The same applies to cyproheptadine.

Kray

I'd need to know the ingredients to make a determination. As far as I know, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is relatively easy to dissolve in hot water. A small amount of hot water and some tablets could allow the drug to disperse in solution, and one may then drink the liquid without consuming the excipients found in the tablets. Allowing the sediment to settle at the bottom of the container away from the hot water, and then just drinking the water would be helpful. The same applies to cyproheptadine.
Benadryl Itch Cooling Spray, 2 fl oz. Active ingredients- Diphenhydramine HCL 2%, Zinc Acetate 0.1%. Inactive ingredients- Alcohol, glycerin, PVP, purified water, tromethamine.

I have been using this product topically at night. I have no idea how much active ingredient of diphenhydramine would absorb into the bloodstream, but it seems to help me relax enough to get to sleep. Like other supplements taken orally, and oral Benadryl for that matter, I suppose topical application would spare first-pass through the liver, which seems like a good thing, if one is using for extending periods of time.

Thank you-

DaveFoster

"There is minimal systemic absorption, plasma levels with topical therapy are 0 to 47 ng/ml vs 30 to 150 ng/ml following oral administration..."

So, the topical Benadryl Itch Cooling Spray will absorb 1/3 of the oral equivalent dosage at most.

Frankdee20

Doxylamine Succinate is the best OTC sleep med for me

Kray

"There is minimal systemic absorption, plasma levels with topical therapy are 0 to 47 ng/ml vs 30 to 150 ng/ml following oral administration..."

So, the topical Benadryl Itch Cooling Spray will absorb 1/3 of the oral equivalent dosage at most.

Thank you Dave, very helpful information. I'm a bit more relieved to know this seems a safer bet over a long(er) period of time.

Doxylamine Succinate is the best OTC sleep med for me
I've never tried this product. I don't know how regularly you use it, but have you noted any side effects such as constipation or next-day grogginess?

Frankdee20

Thank you Dave, very helpful information. I'm a bit more relieved to know this seems a safer bet over a long(er) period of time.

I've never tried this product. I don't know how regularly you use it, but have you noted any side effects such as constipation or next-day grogginess?
I take half of a standard 25 MG pill and there’s some residual grogginess, but it is mild. It has no affinity for serotonin unlike benedryl. It’s a strong blocker of muscarinic receptors and is a motion sickness medication. I used it for a short time though but it works like nothing else

Kray

I take half of a standard 25 MG pill and there’s some residual grogginess, but it is mild. It has no affinity for serotonin unlike benedryl. It’s a strong blocker of muscarinic receptors and is a motion sickness medication. I used it for a short time though but it works like nothing else
Good to know, thanks again for your input.

Frankdee20

Good to know, thanks again for your input.
That medicine doesn’t seem to be on the list of dementia causing antihistamines but doesn’t mean anything. I can’t sleep for ***t

Kray

That medicine doesn’t seem to be on the list of dementia causing antihistamines but doesn’t mean anything. I can’t sleep for ***t
What works best for sleep if you aren't using doxlyamine succinate?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals