Benadryl Warning

wasserman

So I've been peating successfully for years and have great experiences from the diet. I've also tried liquid Cypro from a well-known source here and only have positive things to say.

A few days ago, I had some trouble sleeping and decided to go buy some Benadryl which is a potent anti-histamine and apparently a very very effective anti-cholinergic. I really wanted to get a good night to sleep so I took 4caps (200mg) thinking it's a safe OTC allergy medicine. Boy was I wrong. That was of course incredibly stupid and irresponsible of me.

I woke up 2 hours after intake with trouble breathing, incredibly dry mouth, pupils dilated like I was high as a kite while I couldn't stand up with risk of collapsing from dizziness. My mind was in an altered state, more paranoid and agitated so thinking constructively was hard. My vision was a tad blurry and I saw occasional "flashes" in the periphery. My body and especially legs were really restless and sitting still in the same position for more than 5 seconds was out of the question.

I calmed down a little bit after crawling downstairs to drink water and luckily have the ER next to my condo so was admitted there for 12 hours under observation with IV.

Lesson learned, Benadryl is not to mess with and it seems like it's far more potent when it comes to negative anti-cholinergic effects compared to Cypro. Always read the labels and be responsible if you use a new medication for the first time.

aguilaroja

Caution is needed for Diphenhydramine/Benadryl, as with any medication. Two hundred mg (200 mg) is too large a dose, probably for any person as a single dose. 25 mg of Benadryl is often an effective amount, and is a common amount in OTC preparations, though 50 mg capsules/tablets are seen. My experience is very small FRACTIONS of the twenty-five (25) mg dose of diphenhydramine can have histamine-lowering or adrenaline-lowering benefits.

High multiples of usual pharma doses are potentially hazardous. An similarly large dose (say, forty mg) of cyproheptadine/Periactin would be likely also cause problems. Again, pharmaceuticals, including diphenhydramine, always have possible side effects. Pharmaceutical margins of safety are usually smaller than for nutrients. It is preferable to search for minimum effective doses especially with pharmaceuticals.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

So I've been peating successfully for years and have great experiences from the diet. I've also tried liquid Cypro from a well-known source here and only have positive things to say.

A few days ago, I had some trouble sleeping and decided to go buy some Benadryl which is a potent anti-histamine and apparently a very very effective anti-cholinergic. I really wanted to get a good night to sleep so I took 4caps (200mg) thinking it's a safe OTC allergy medicine. Boy was I wrong. That was of course incredibly stupid and irresponsible of me.

I woke up 2 hours after intake with trouble breathing, incredibly dry mouth, pupils dilated like I was high as a kite while I couldn't stand up with risk of collapsing from dizziness. My mind was in an altered state, more paranoid and agitated so thinking constructively was hard. My vision was a tad blurry and I saw occasional "flashes" in the periphery. My body and especially legs were really restless and sitting still in the same position for more than 5 seconds was out of the question.

I calmed down a little bit after crawling downstairs to drink water and luckily have the ER next to my condo so was admitted there for 12 hours under observation with IV.

Lesson learned, Benadryl is not to mess with and it seems like it's far more potent when it comes to negative anti-cholinergic effects compared to Cypro. Always read the labels and be responsible if you use a new medication for the first time.
But why? Why would you ever think taking 4 times the usual dosage would be safe? Always take the lowest amount and go from there.

OP
W

wasserman

But why? Why would you ever think taking 4 times the usual dosage would be safe? Always take the lowest amount and go from there.

I'd taken 50-75mg the nights before without much effect at all so I thought I needed more to see any benefits. I'm also a somewhat muscular guy. Turns out I would probably have got great results from much less than 50-75mg. Just a bit of a cautionary tale for others out there to not make the same stupid mistake I did.

inthedark

Benedryl has substantially differing effects depending on dose. These effects are not linear and some that are present at lower doses will be less present at higher doses and vice versa. In this regard a higher dose might not in fact provide more of whatever effects one is looking for. Occasionally teenagers will overdose benedryl in the range you did to get psychoactive effects.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Benadryl is
Serotonergic
at higher doses. I believe @DaveFoster might know more details.

DaveFoster

Benadryl is
Serotonergic
at higher doses. I believe @DaveFoster might know more details.
Dyphenhydramine has significant serotonergic effects in dosages of ~150 mg or higher.

Birdie

Yes, sadly, I can't manage even a fraction of a tablet. Caution is well advised.

Birdie

Yes, sadly, I can't manage even a fraction of a tablet. Caution is well advised.
Well, that's old news. I've been taking 1/2 a tablet every night since 2019.

This interesting because, before discovering Ray Peat, I took Claratin-12 hour all the time for histamine issues, but haven’t had the need for it now for 5 years. Recently though, I took it on two different occasions, for a headache, and my heart was pounding out of my chest all day, so uncomfortably. I am leery to take it again now, for anything.

Birdie

Well, that's old news. I've been taking 1/2 a tablet every night since 2019.
I've been wanting to come back here with my latest. Finally it showed in my news feed, so. Anyway, got to thinking about my previous reply saying Benadryl didn't work for me. That thought nagged me. And I decided to quit the Benadryl that same day although it seemed to help sleep.

Weirdly, my sleep has been better. I know this happens to people. I just got used to using it for another reason. (Covid prevention program I had.) I think that Ray, when he recommends it, probably means to take it occasionally. I might do that if I see a need but am not using it for sleep now.

Birdie

This interesting because, before discovering Ray Peat, I took Claratin-12 hour all the time for histamine issues, but haven’t had the need for it now for 5 years. Recently though, I took it on two different occasions, for a headache, and my heart was pounding out of my chest all day, so uncomfortably. I am leery to take it again now, for anything.
Yes, Ray warns against Claritin type antihistamines. I stopped my husband's use of it when I found Ray. He switched to Benadryl but had to quit that cuz bad for his prostatitis.

Yes, Ray warns against Claritin type antihistamines. I stopped my husband's use of it when I found Ray. He switched to Benadryl but had to quit that cuz bad for his prostatitis.
Good to know Birdie, thanks. I won’t buy it again.

AlaskaJono

As with many things, individual biochemistry may be more diverse than the "One size fits All " modern medical autocracy provides for. Or hearts. I have taken Benadryl (25 and 50 mg) several many times historically (when no other option was available and someone had it nearby) and nothing; No relief of hayfever symptoms, no side effect of drowsiness, or tachycardia, etc.. I also tried Claritin and Zirtec several times in the last 5 years for heavy pollen hayfever, and nothing also. Zirtec worked for me 20 ish years ago. I did not use it very much, but was thankful for quick relief.

My wife uses Benadryl - 25 mg- occasionally for extra good sleep, as Cypro has some unwanted post use effects some of the time. (And she uses 1/6 of a 4 mg Cypro when she does use it!). Also we have both taken a full Cypro tab (4mg) during the day when the wind was yellow with Silver Birch pollen, and neither of us had a sleepy effect.

Also I do wonder if the processing Quality Control at the medicine plants are working at all lately. Hmmm.

In Summation: yes, be careful when trialing new drugs for yourself of family members. Reactions may occur, as many on this site have written first hand.

As with many things, individual biochemistry may be more diverse than the "One size fits All " modern medical autocracy provides for. Or hearts. I have taken Benadryl (25 and 50 mg) several many times historically (when no other option was available and someone had it nearby) and nothing; No relief of hayfever symptoms, no side effect of drowsiness, or tachycardia, etc.. I also tried Claritin and Zirtec several times in the last 5 years for heavy pollen hayfever, and nothing also. Zirtec worked for me 20 ish years ago. I did not use it very much, but was thankful for quick relief.

My wife uses Benadryl - 25 mg- occasionally for extra good sleep, as Cypro has some unwanted post use effects some of the time. (And she uses 1/6 of a 4 mg Cypro when she does use it!). Also we have both taken a full Cypro tab (4mg) during the day when the wind was yellow with Silver Birch pollen, and neither of us had a sleepy effect.

Also I do wonder if the processing Quality Control at the medicine plants are working at all lately. Hmmm.

In Summation: yes, be careful when trialing new drugs for yourself of family members. Reactions may occur, as many on this site have written first hand.
I was thinking when I was in poor health my body needed it, but now that I am in excellent health my body wants no part of it. It seems the more polluted one is the more one can tolerate pollution, but when one is clean you really notice the pollution more.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals