Benadryl & Serotonin

kayumochi

I feel unusually relaxed and in a good mood the next day after taking Benadryl at night ...

X3CyO

I use pure Calcium Hydroxide in OJ, this is also sold as Pickling Lime.
They use this in corn processing. I tried egg shell powder and
other calcium supplements, but always had bad allergic reaction.
I have found that Tropicana use calcium hydroxide in their low
acid OJ , then i start adding this to my OJ and no allergic reaction.
In OJ it turns into calcium citrate. I asked RP about adding calcium hydroxide
to OJ he possibly said 'Yes". But i asked him several question in that email.
I am bit confused if that Yes was meant for this question or another question.
But it should be ok since it is added in masa harina and other corn products.

Isnt ray against citrate though? citric acid too.

Just want to confirm.
If so, then tropicana is easy to get for me when the store I go to runs out of frozen oj.

crsnpalmer

This thread has lots of good thoughts on Benadryl doses. I appreciate you all. I am looking for the lowest dose to reduce acetylcholine activity.

gunther

Benadryl is the only thing that makes me feel human! It keeps my anxiety/worry/terror at bay and I'm hoping that some future RP traveler can tell me why.

Mathgirl

Here's some of my notes after pouring over hundreds of posts about Benadryl: You may be able to search and find the original threads:

Possibly Take below 6mg day-at higher rates its estrogenic and has other effects

Benadryl. No more than 100 mg.
I use Genexa brand to get low doses-it's a childs liquid and seems to have the least bad stuff in it. I found it at Target.

gunther

Here's some of my notes after pouring over hundreds of posts about Benadryl: You may be able to search and find the original threads:

Possibly Take below 6mg day-at higher rates its estrogenic and has other effects

Benadryl. No more than 100 mg.
I use Genexa brand to get low doses-it's a childs liquid and seems to have the least bad stuff in it. I found it at Target.

Hi! I didn't expect a response!

I take about 6mg-24mg as needed. Usually, if I start to get wonky, I take half a pill. I'll add another half a pill after an hour if I need more. I don't think I've ever gone over 12mg in like 6hrs or so.
I just wish I could figure out WHY it helps so much. Is it the anti-SE? H1 inhabition? H2? Something else?

Kray

Thanks, Mittir, for looking into that further and giving me the info.

That certainly is a lot of Benadryl to me, to get the SSRI effect. I have been taking between 5 mg and 50 mg. per day, depending on time of day and symptoms. My upper limit has always been 50 mg. (The one time I took 75 mg. it knocked me out so thoroughly and deeply that I never did it again.)

I'm also glad you mentioned that about calcium/phosphorus and allergies. My calcium intake is good, but after reading your post, I looked back through cronometer. I notice since last Friday my phosphorus has been higher than calcium, and my allergies have been really bothering me since then. I never would have made the connection. I'll work on reversing that and see how it goes.
Hi Peata- just read this thread and found it all so helpful. especially Mittir's answers and what is a good dose for sleep. Wow- quite low actually!

I've been struggling with dermatitis and have taken Benadryl off and on to help with sleep. I used to take 25mg liqui-gels but found myself too low-energy, tired after a few days. Then I tried kids' liquid, using anywhere from 10-15mg. Still similar effects. When my itching is really bad, usually near bedtime, I use Benadryl Spray. The label reads 2% solution (2oz bottle, or 59mL).

I haven't found any links here on the forum, but I wonder how I could find out what 2% of the active ingredient is per so many sprays, to oral mg dosage. If you, or anyone else who reads this, could help me figure it out, I would appreciate it. I don't know if it's ok to use long-term, or if topical would produce the same side effects as oral, but I feel a bit better mentally with just the spray than I did when I was taking it orally. Mind you, I didn't take it orally for long periods, maybe on average 1-2 times per week. But I still didn't like the after-effects, and I even felt like it had a cumulative effect on my system. On their website, the spray product is listed as approved for use for 2+ years, whereas the children's liquid lists 6+ years, so I am guessing the spray is much less potent. The other question is, how much gets absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream? On nights I use it, I do seem to sleep better, so maybe enough gets to the bloodstream to have enough effect for sleep.

P.S. I haven't seen Mittir here in a while. Do you know if he is still around? I have read a lot of his posts and they are quite helpful, as yours are.

Last edited: