Benadryl reaction

darkchocolate

Whenever I take anything besides Aspirin I always have a strange reaction. For example, I just took two Benadryl non drowsy allergy tabs and now I feel stoned, or drunk or something. I took them to relieve my menstrual cramps because after even 3 x 600mg doses of aspirin I was not getting any relief.

I feel woozy, can't concentrate, I'm slurring my speech and I will probably go take a 2-3 hour nap. Why does this happen to me?

OP
D

darkchocolate

I should also mention that anything with Acetominophen in it does the same thing to me which is why I usually stick with just the aspirin.

The dose was 2 x 25mg.

I am in the same boat, I suspect it could be an issue with poor liver metabolism. Two benadryl give me horrible adverse effects including brain fog and visual hallucinations that last about 24 hours. Acetaminophen is extremely dangerous, especially for people with possible liver problems.

I had to reduce my benadryl dose to 12.5mg (half a pill) to get an antihistamine effect without psychological disturbances.

Peata

I used to get some unwanted effects from Benadryl before RP, and I think it was at least partly from my liver (sluggish?)

Now when I take it at night I vary the dose, but only rarely take 2 capsules.

OP
D

darkchocolate

Thanks. I'll have to be careful with the dose next time.
It definitely made the cramps go away though - and they haven't come back. Could they possibly related to excess histamine that is driving estrogen up?

Also, are there any other steps I can take to help my liver "heal" or "detox"?

Peata

darkchocolate said:
Thanks. I'll have to be careful with the dose next time.
It definitely made the cramps go away though - and they haven't come back. Could they possibly related to excess histamine that is driving estrogen up?

Also, are there any other steps I can take to help my liver "heal" or "detox"?

80 + grams protein helps.

max219

I had benadryl a few weeks ago because my allergies were out of control, and it made me very sleepy. I knocked out right away when I went to bed, and felt like sleeping earlier than normal.

OP
D

darkchocolate

Yea, I felt good, just really weird. Like I said before, comparable to being drunk or stoned.

Peata, good to know. I've been doing at least 100g a day.

Peata

wanted to add, I think it's normal to feel drugged or sleepy after Benadryl, at least a normal dose of it. That's why some people take it -for the help with sleep. It makes me sleepy and that's a welcome effect when I take it before bed. I have no experience with "non-drowsy" Benadryl though.

aguilaroja

darkchocolate said:
I just took two Benadryl non drowsy allergy tabs and now I feel stoned, or drunk or something....I feel woozy, can't concentrate, I'm slurring my speech and I will probably go take a 2-3 hour nap. Why does this happen to me?

I could not find a straight-foward listing of "non drowsy benadryl" on the web. Some "cold remedies" combine the Benadryl active ingredient, diphenhydramine, with a stimulant "decongestant" like phenylephrine, and other agents.

As long as diphenhydramine is included, there is certainly the potential for sedation and drowsiness, due both to the anticholinergic and antihistaminic properties of diphenhydramine. It is generally better to use Benadryl only in the evening, unless an individual is very experienced with using it and free from sedation during the day. For most people, Benadryl is best reserved for times when there is clear margin to sleep.

OP
D

darkchocolate

Thanks. Yes, I read the package again. There is no mention of non drowsy, but I assumed it was because of the way it was packaged.

HDD

There is a liquid Benadryl product for children that you could take to get a lower dose. Target carries a dye-free one.

Wilfrid

"...The metabolism of classic antihistamines seems to be mediated by CYP2D6 because of the similar structural characteristics of many CYP2D6 substrates and inhibitors. In fact, several classic antihistamines, such as chlorpheniramine, mequitazine, and promethazine, have been shown to be metabolized by CYP2D6. In addition, previous studies revealed that diphenhydramine inhibited the metabolism of several CYP2D6 substrates in vivo and in vitro. These findings suggest that the metabolism of diphenhydramine is also mediated by CYP2D6.

....In addition, large differences in the metabolic activities of CYP2D6 and those of CYP1A2, CYP2C9, and CYP2C19 could cause the individual differences in anti-allergic efficacy and the sedative effect of diphenhydramine."

From the study below:

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/35/1/72.long

That being said, you may have a CYP2D6 polymorphism and ,if that's the case, it could be more an individual issue rather than a dose issue.
You said "whenever I take anything besides aspirin..." but what kind of drugs and/or supplements you used and reacted to?
Aspirin don't interfere with the CYP2D6 pathway.

OP
D

darkchocolate

When I say anything besides Aspirin, I mean it. Which is why I stopped taking anything for pain or headaches, they affect me more than anyone I know. Motrin, Tylenol, Advil, antibiotics always make me dizzy, and any type of alcohol. But Malignant Hyperthermia also runs in my family - which is basically an allergic reaction to anesthesia. Your blood boils and you die... Maybe this is the reason?

Also, just curious, one time I went to the hospital because my muscles were twitching uncontrollably (more like flailing and jerking), and they said it was caused by stress. So to "calm" me down they gave me Ativan. Holy. Hell. Instead of knocking me out, my mind was racing, and I felt hyper and on edge while also getting groggy. It was pretty much the worst experience ever. I seem to have a negative reaction to anything I take.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals