Benadryl Linked To Dementia?

DJ Sanchez

yerrag

This has been mentioned just recently but it was in a thread of another topic.
People use Benadryl to aid their sleep and I think it's because it isn't known to have untoward effects.

Sleep problems are a sign already of poor health. So those who use Benadryl a lot would be those who have sleep problems often, and so they tend to be people who are unhealthy.

And then voila, Benadryl is now associated with people who have more instances of developing dementia!

What's the likelihood that it's because of poor health that people are more likely develop dementia? The kind of poor health that makes them have difficulty in sleeping well. Like having poor metabolism involving poor blood sugar control, or poor acid-base balance that requires more urine to be excreted leading to electrolyte deficiency, or hormonal imbalance leading to high serotonin and undue stress? Also consider that loss of sleep means less time for healing, repair and regeneration, leading to accelerated degeneration and aging.

I suspect that studies like these bark up the wrong tree. They're meant to take away the focus on drugs that truly cause dementia such as the fluoroquinolones of which Ciprofloxacin and Levaquin (aka Levofloxacin are notable examples of. I've seen my parents use these antibiotics for their UTI. Eventually they developed dementia. It can be argued that is because they're old, but I also see them develop loss of control over their chewing muscles and they would need to have PEG tubes.

Of course these researchers would omit mention of other factors. It's not that they're stupid. They're just paid to make such conclusions.

Benadryl is cheap and effective, so is aspirin. Small wonder that being very affordable can make them the negative subject of studies. In a few generations they will go gone, just as carbamide (urea) is now unrecognized as an important medicine, even in the UN's list of essential drugs. Carbamide was popular in the 1930s.

I think it does cause dementia.

I think it dulls the brain. I’ve noticed it often myself. And I think that leads to a cognitive decline in people who are not being challenged mentally. Same as any drug that dulls the brain.

yerrag

I think it does cause dementia.

I think it dulls the brain. I’ve noticed it often myself. And I think that leads to a cognitive decline in people who are not being challenged mentally. Same as any drug that dulls the brain.

I have Benadryl on hand when I need to use it. Helps me get to sleep when I need to get more sleep to recuperate. Like when I have a cold and it's hard to sleep with the cold keeping me from sleeping. Or when an endotoxin issue increases serotonin levels that I couldn't sleep. And then I would experience low blood sugar the next day because of low glycogen stores.

When I get well, my sleep goes back to normal and I stop using it.

But it won't take the place of say, not turning off wifi when I get to bed. Or drinking milk with sugar and salt.

Or not making sure I have good acid-base balance which would make me urinate and have to wake up at night to urinate.

Having to depend on Benadryl all the time for sleep is not a good idea, but people that do that have it wrong. It's again a case of 'curing' symptoms instead of fixing underlying issues.

OP
D

DJ Sanchez

This has been mentioned just recently but it was in a thread of another topic.
People use Benadryl to aid their sleep and I think it's because it isn't known to have untoward effects.

Sleep problems are a sign already of poor health. So those who use Benadryl a lot would be those who have sleep problems often, and so they tend to be people who are unhealthy.

And then voila, Benadryl is now associated with people who have more instances of developing dementia!

What's the likelihood that it's because of poor health that people are more likely develop dementia? The kind of poor health that makes them have difficulty in sleeping well. Like having poor metabolism involving poor blood sugar control, or poor acid-base balance that requires more urine to be excreted leading to electrolyte deficiency, or hormonal imbalance leading to high serotonin and undue stress? Also consider that loss of sleep means less time for healing, repair and regeneration, leading to accelerated degeneration and aging.

I suspect that studies like these bark up the wrong tree. They're meant to take away the focus on drugs that truly cause dementia such as the fluoroquinolones of which Ciprofloxacin and Levaquin (aka Levofloxacin are notable examples of. I've seen my parents use these antibiotics for their UTI. Eventually they developed dementia. It can be argued that is because they're old, but I also see them develop loss of control over their chewing muscles and they would need to have PEG tubes.

Of course these researchers would omit mention of other factors. It's not that they're stupid. They're just paid to make such conclusions.

Benadryl is cheap and effective, so is aspirin. Small wonder that being very affordable can make them the negative subject of studies. In a few generations they will go gone, just as carbamide (urea) is now unrecognized as an important medicine, even in the UN's list of essential drugs. Carbamide was popular in the 1930s.
Thanks for the insite, makes sense. I'll definitely look into other ways to help improve sleep, and hopefully get over my reliance on benadryl.

Mauritio

I think if peats reasoning was true benadryl should actually protect against alzheimers. Yet it seems to be the opposite .
Also benadryl raises adrenaline which can have many health consequences down the line.
I'm myself a regular benadryl taker and I do notice a positive trend in my health when I manage to avoid using it . It also has benefits for sure, but its disadvantages are rarely discussed.