Benadryl & Acetylcholine

Sapien

b5 it was better, but from experience, taking only 50mg b5 3h before sleep is the fastest way to have a good night regardless of other factors.
Yes makes sense b5 is required for acetylcholine production “Pantothenic acid becomes coenzyme A, a cofactor necessary for acetylcholine production”

I suspect people get enough dietary choline without supplements and that supplementing choline can be dangerous as it might cause elevated levels of acetylcholine. I do like to have a few eggs at night to improve my dreams

moa

I suspect people get enough dietary choline without supplements and that supplementing choline can be dangerDMSi eat 6 eggs per day since this summer

I think i was mostly zinc deficient, but i think choline isn't that dangerous.

because coming is used for liver and cel membrane much more than for acetylcholine. I'm not sure if it will increase acetylcholine more than needed.

zinc is needed if i remember well, to keep acetylcholine from breakdown, but it may play also in avoiding overmethymation, that will spare histidine, used to create histamine.

B5 is the only one that will really increase acetylcholine directly, and some nootropics too.

but if you want to increase even more, you need to increase the free choline inside the cell, cause that is very limited regardless of how much you eat. to do that, you can use DMAE or something with weaker effect like alpha-GDP.

i don't think dietary PC will increase much acetylcholine, unless you're deficient but maybe I'm wrong.

Sapien

to do that, you can use DMAE or something with weaker effect like alpha-GDP.
due to all of the negative things Peat has said about acetylcholine system, I personally think it’s best to avoid acetylcholine supplements

Side note: I wish ppl on this forum knew about the importance of acetylcholine in dreams/REM, many are taking NMDA inhibitors without giving much thought to any potential uses acetylcholine has (I didn’t dream for years when smoking cannabis daily, as it is a known NMDA inhibitor) (not good!)

Some acetylcholine is certainly physiological, but I think letting the body produce it (through b5) is best, rather than taking sups, which will have unmediated action.

Last edited:

Sapien

Some important context here is Peat himself said: “acetylcholine is essential, part of our concious regulating…, it’s needed for memory, all kinds of biological processes require just the right amount of acetylcholine.”

I don’t know if Peat would approve of all the anti acetylcholine talk going on in this form… seems his views got misconstrued/taken out of context

moa

many are taking NMDA inhibitors without giving much thought to any potential uses acetylcholine has

B5 will work, but up to a limit and short term.

if you want to increase it more, you need to take dmae or coffee or other nootropics.

actually coffee, a Peat approved nootropic, increase acetylcholine signaling if used chronically, and GABA.

NMDA isn't that glutamate ? the glutamate/GABA ratio is important but cannot be inhibited by inhibitors. you must let the body fix it, otherwise you'll get severe withdrawal symptoms when you stop the medication, and even if you continue the body will adapt to normal levels. GABA is highly regulated by the body, you don't mess with that. rather much safer to work on acetylcholine (higher), serotonin (lower), dopamine.

serotonin and acetylcholine are opposing in the body, when one goes up, the other good down and vice versa. and GABA follows acetylcholine levels, with 2 weeks delay or so.

when they use SSRI to increase serotonin, it's automatically decreasing acetylcholine.

by decreasing acetylcholine, they reduced the requirements for GABA, but that's not good, cause you also get low dopamine and zombi like.

i know Ray was not fan of acetylcholine, but I'm sure something is wrong there. i understand the benefits, short term, of anticholinergics, because of lowering glutamate toxicity and maybe nitric oxide, but only short term, not as long term advice.

as for choline requirements, i think 50mg is not enaught, 550mg is enaught and safe using very old studies. we just don't have any studies in between those values, cause they didn't do any in the past few decades.... not that the industry lacks money, they just don't care to know at all.

Erowin

I hear Benadryl promoted a lot in this community, but here is a reason it can be detrimental : acetylcholine is required for rem sleep, so Benadryl will inhibit rem sleep
Well I am trying to stop benadryl and can tell you there was not REM sleep happing without it either.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals