Ben Greenfield

ShotTrue

Hello!
Just curious if anyone followed Ben Greenfield, he posts pretty often on Facebook.
Here’s one from today:
Ben Greenfield Fitness

I just completed a full body hyperthermia treatment at BenGreenfieldFitness.com/swissclinic...

In the sequence of photos here you can see that it began with an EKG to make sure that my heart would not explode. Next, I rode a bike at high intensity interval training pace of one minute maximum + one minute rest for 30 minutes to elevate my body temperature. Next, they took my blood panel (a complete blood count) and then inserted a rectal thermometer to track my core temperature and began a drip IV of vitamins and minerals. I then lay in the chamber completely drenched in sweat for about 75 minutes as my body climbed up to 39.9 Celsius.

They told me that some of their cancer patients will go as high as about 42°C but I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest at 39.9. As I write this, I am kind of in a stupor because you don’t take a cold shower or anything afterwards. You just keep your body temperature elevated the entire day. I’m pretty wrecked. I will admit that I did this protocol out of sheer curiosity, and perhaps for a few of the heat shock proteins I probably upregulated, not because I have Lyme or cancer or anything else that you can read up on here: Hyperthermia therapy - Wikipedia, but it was a very interesting experience nonetheless.

Probably the toughest part of this protocol aside from being in the chamber is that you need to keep your up temperature up the rest of the day so no cold showers for me. Considering it’s about 94°F right now in Switzerland, that’s kind of tough. I would categorize this as just about as uncomfortable as an Ozone sauna… Probably even more uncomfortable. But what doesn’t kill you makes your cells stronger right? (In this case, because of the heat shock proteins that induce greater cellular resilience, that is actually true).”

As well as one about fish raising LDL:

Fish increases you LDL cholesterol more than red meat. Which should only confuse or upset you if you are still under the impression that LDL is a cardiovascular risk factor, which in isolation it is not...

Learn more at the link below.
Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials of Red Meat Consumption in Comparison With Various Comparison Diets on Cardiovascular Risk Factors. - PubMed - NCBI

aquaman

Ultimately he makes his money from people buying products via affiliate links on his website. So he seems to jump on many fads.

There may be good info amongst it, but this is enough for me to think he is always going to be biased. He wants you to buy Oura rings, Chilly Pads etc via his links.

He certainly lacks a universal theory of how the body functions, unlike Ray.

SOMO

He looks healthy and fit and it’s pretty cool that he is willing to be a guinea pig himself.

OP
ShotTrue

ShotTrue

Ultimately he makes his money from people buying products via affiliate links on his website. So he seems to jump on many fads.

There may be good info amongst it, but this is enough for me to think he is always going to be biased. He wants you to buy Oura rings, Chilly Pads etc via his links.

He certainly lacks a universal theory of how the body functions, unlike Ray.
I definitely don’t think he’s on par with Ray. I agree with what you are saying. I guess the point is whether his info is reliable or just a stepping stone for more affiliation credits

He does post a lot and seem to k ow some stuff though

matisvijs

He sometimes finds some interesting health related products that may be useful, but as aquaman said, he doesn't have a unified view on human physiology or biochemistry and doesn't appear to be good at abstract/theoretical thinking. To me, he belongs in the marketer camp, similar to Tim Ferris and Dave Asprey - not saying they don't bring out useful/interesting things sometimes, just not close to the overall understanding of actual biochemists and scientists which I prefer to study.

teds

Forum Supporter
I disagree about ‘fit and healthy’ in some sense. Yes he’s strong and he’s got good cardiovascular capacity. But if you listen to what he has to go through to get all this achived- hell just to get a good bowel motion each day.. it just seems that he has have a lot of input to keep this resilience..
he’s clearly got on going issues with constipation and blood sugar regulation.. I’m not saying everything he does isn’t good.. but for someone who’s profession it is to basically be amazingly healthy.. he’s still on that high fat, high exercise, fasting, sauna-ing, stressing the **** out of his body bandwagon..

OP
ShotTrue

ShotTrue

I disagree about ‘fit and healthy’ in some sense. Yes he’s strong and he’s got good cardiovascular capacity. But if you listen to what he has to go through to get all this achived- hell just to get a good bowel motion each day.. it just seems that he has have a lot of input to keep this resilience..
he’s clearly got on going issues with constipation and blood sugar regulation.. I’m not saying everything he does isn’t good.. but for someone who’s profession it is to basically be amazingly healthy.. he’s still on that high fat, high exercise, fasting, sauna-ing, stressing the **** out of his body bandwagon..
I first heard of him with his use f peptides, specifically growth hormone increasing peptides. I wondered if that’s what keeps him so low body fat and would explain blood sugar issues

mimmo123

Didn't that guy go into liver failure and made a video about it. and now says he eats 200 grams of sugar but only does it at night so the rest of the day he is keto

teds

Forum Supporter
He’s what we all know as a hard gainer and gaining fat would be difficult for him under any circumstances.. if you see him next to other athletes he looks incredibly skinny despite his muscle mass.. but you see everything bc he’s got such low BF.. again, don’t consider this necessarily healthy.

gaze

I saw a video where he went over his blood tests and he had elevated tsh, so he’s definitely not healthy. but then again, he does run those ultra iron man things as a passion and is understanding it’s not good for him, so healthy is relative. Also in one of his videos he talked about how he’d rather eat sugar then an oxidized pufas because pufas are stored, so he’s not that far off like some other health gurus. His main problem seems to be that he’s big into nuts and seeds, but if he’s had success with it then who am I to say he’s wrong.

matisvijs

I saw a video where he went over his blood tests and he had elevated tsh, so he’s definitely not healthy. but then again, he does run those ultra iron man things as a passion and is understanding it’s not good for him, so healthy is relative. Also in one of his videos he talked about how he’d rather eat sugar then an oxidized pufas because pufas are stored, so he’s not that far off like some other health gurus. His main problem seems to be that he’s big into nuts and seeds, but if he’s had success with it then who am I to say he’s wrong.

Well, he just started saying that recently, dude has been demonizing sugar for years... I think Peat is getting more popular, so he might've picked up on that and shifted his views.

GreekDemiGod

He's a Keto proponent who justifies carb-loading. I followed him for a while until I decided it's time to unfollow him.
He does look great for his age, though. He's into a lot of anti-aging strategies.

scoobydoo

I move wondered this as well
He recently has been putting out a lot of content on how fasting and low carb are beneficial to the immune system

Beastmode

He always seems very passionate in what he does and that plays a large role in overall health.

All this biohacking ***t hasn't been around long enough to see what happens to the ones who've been doing it for 30-40 years.

I wish good health for everyone, but I pray for a lot of these "biohackers" if and when they reach old age.

Overall, he seems like a good dude and is friends with a lot of my colleagues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals