Being Skinny Isn't Necessarily An Indicator Of Good Health

stargazer1111

Kelly Williams Hogan

This is one of the bigger proponents of zero carb. In her mind, she looks healthy. In my view, however, she looks like a skeleton and is rapidly aging similarly to how the Eskimos rapidly age.

I have seen this in several celebrities who did either zero carb/keto or paleo diets to lose weight. Penn Jillette is another one who I think looked healthier when he was overweight.

I look way healthier now even though I weight about 20 pounds more than when I was in my zero carb phase (it lasted 6 years, way too long).

I think the zero carb people are a bit deluded when it comes to how they think they look. My body rapidly aged and I felt like I was a crippled 80-year-old man after several years of it. It took a lot of suffering for me to finally understand that I need sugar, not just starch, but actual sucrose to function normally.

dbh25

I have seen this in several celebrities who did either zero carb/keto or paleo diets to lose weight. Penn Jillette is another one who I think looked healthier when he was overweight.
Read his book instead of basing judgement on how you think he looks. He also went to a plant based diet, not zero carb.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Read his book instead of basing judgement on how you think he looks. He also went to a plant based diet, not zero carb.

I have read his book, actually. And I have listened to him speak about it several times on his podcast. I would also advise you to read my post more carefully. I never claimed he ate a zero carb diet.

dbh25

I have read his book, actually. And I have listened to him speak about it several times on his podcast. I would also advise you to read my post more carefully. I never claimed he ate a zero carb diet.
You read his book and you claim he looked better, when he was on several blood pressure meds and in and out of the hospital???????? The way it is written, the sentence follows your rant on keto. Compose your ramblings better.

OP
S

stargazer1111

You read his book and you claim he looked better, when he was on several blood pressure meds and in and out of the hospital???????? The way it is written, the sentence follows your rant on keto. Compose your ramblings better.

Learn to read better.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Obviously. Neither is having excess body fat.

Right. But, the term excess has to be defined.

A lot of skinny people have heart attacks. Losing weight doesn't necessarily lower your heart attack risk.

And, before it's brought up, it should be obvious that I am not advocating being obese.

SOMO

I met a really attractive girl once. She had to have her entire bowel removed.

Physical attractiveness =/= health.

Unless someone is extremely sick or grossly overweight/underweight. , there aren't too many outward signs that a person is unhealthy.

It used to be that if I saw an obese person I would think "wow, how could they let themselves get that unhealthy?" But now I think "I wonder what happened in their life that it caused their health and lifestyle to create such a destructive pattern and I hope that they get the help they need."

Also OP, to many (especially females) it doesn't really matter if they're healthy, as long as they look good. I've met many women who would starve themselves, take amphetamines and smoke cigarettes to lose weight, but when they did allow themselves to eat of course they ate crap like Doritos and asking them to change their diet/lifestyle would simply be too much. I've seen something similar with men - they would prefer to just take steroids and do some light cardio and pig out on sugar and meat to "get swole".

Physical attractiveness =/= health.

OP
S

stargazer1111

I wasn't commenting on physical attractiveness. I was commenting on how young and vibrant the person looks. There is a difference.

Mad

I wasn't commenting on physical attractiveness. I was commenting on how young and vibrant the person looks. There is a difference.
Well everyone sort of crapped on your thread but I get it and I agree.
I also come from a similar background to you, was very thin and "healthy" in terms of today's standards. Also low carbed and super over exercised. I've now gained closer to thirty pounds :grimacing: and while that's still a bit shocking to me at times, I look at myself in the mirror and see my skin glowing and I just feel like a woman now! I have hips and boobs and curves, but still basically a flat stomach so I feel good about myself.
So I think it's easier to spot people who are forcing themselves to be thinner and thinner and they just don't look healthy now that we've come from that background. The peat world has totally transformed my idea of beauty and health.

Regina

Well everyone sort of crapped on your thread but I get it and I agree.
I also come from a similar background to you, was very thin and "healthy" in terms of today's standards. Also low carbed and super over exercised. I've now gained closer to thirty pounds :grimacing: and while that's still a bit shocking to me at times, I look at myself in the mirror and see my skin glowing and I just feel like a woman now! I have hips and boobs and curves, but still basically a flat stomach so I feel good about myself.
So I think it's easier to spot people who are forcing themselves to be thinner and thinner and they just don't look healthy now that we've come from that background. The peat world has totally transformed my idea of beauty and health.
Same here, Mad.
My hair is like it was when I was in grade school. My skin is glowing. Boobs, curves. It can be freaky when I go to grab my phone out of my back pocket. Whoa! Who's butt is this? That can make me wince a bit.
But the biggest pay-off is the resilience to stress. I don't get the "damsel in distress" attention that I have tended to get most of my life. But who needs that. I'm getting more of a "Yes ma'am." Different energy social tier. ??

Eric Yim

Kelly Williams Hogan

This is one of the bigger proponents of zero carb. In her mind, she looks healthy. In my view, however, she looks like a skeleton and is rapidly aging similarly to how the Eskimos rapidly age.

I look way healthier now even though I weight about 20 pounds more than when I was in my zero carb phase (it lasted 6 years, way too long).

I think the zero carb people are a bit deluded when it comes to how they think they look. My body rapidly aged and I felt like I was a crippled 80-year-old man after several years of it. It took a lot of suffering for me to finally understand that I need sugar, not just starch, but actual sucrose to function normally.
She is the poster child for what most middle aged woman want to look like.

lvysaur

I'm starting to think that a high saturated fat, but not zero carb diet can be very helpful. I noticed the same look in vegans and various other people, I think restricting anything, whether fat or carbs, will probably make you age that way.
Who's butt is this?
Whose* :^)

Regina

I'm starting to think that a high saturated fat, but not zero carb diet can be very helpful. I noticed the same look in vegans and various other people, I think restricting anything, whether fat or carbs, will probably make you age that way.

:rofl and it's done wonders for my grammar :crazy:

OP
S

stargazer1111

She is the poster child for what most middle aged woman want to look like.

Agreed. I get a fair amount of sugar now, but also eat a fair amount of coconut oil. I get a tiny amount of olive oil so that my PUFA intake is at about 6 grams per day (below this causes severe dry skin).

Nicole W.

Kelly Williams Hogan

I totally agree with you. I’m middle aged and most of my friends look like Kelly Hogan. I gained 20 lbs. 2 years ago when I wasn’t feeling too well, but I noticed that the extra weight fills out my face, and wrinkles better. An unexpected benefit. My mom, who is 92, and never one to mince words always said that after a certain age, a woman will have to choose between her **** and her face. Kind of crude, but true, I think! In middle age, being too thin ( no ****) will make your face look gaunt. But for most women being thin is strongly tied to self worth, so the face be damned, I guess. Personally, I find slightly heavier women look younger and usually more attractive.

InChristAlone

I am a testimony to this. At my lowest weight I was 92 lbs and losing vitality fast. I am now 127lbs mostly thanks to cypro and Haagen Dazs and feel so much better. I looove my boobs now. Sure they aren't as perky after 9 yrs of nursing two kids but I grew a whole cup size. I am now enjoying taking nude photos, no push up bra needed!

Anyway, I completely agree being thin doesn't equal healthy.

Thirtyhope

I agree that low carb is unhealthy and I think a lot of these really restrictive diets give people bad attitudes towards food.
I wish there was more out there to educate people on the real dangers of PUFAs. My Mum always said to avoid vegetable oil, and I did, but I never took it too seriously until my health tanked and I started joining a few dots.
I was on low carb for a few years but on and off, now I have a bunch of unwanted weight around my belly area to show for it, and I am not healthy internally, for sure!
The fact that Eskimos rapidly age was a shock to me, I mean, I never actually *saw* that because they were one of the main pro examples in your low carb, keto pushing diets etc, then one day I saw it after feeling like a million years old myself. Too late I suppose.
I always used to say to my husband that we cannot exactly offer our take on diet to friends as we never seemed to be the picture of health, and did we want to be this way? When you look good, naturally glowing, or you look like you have muscles or energy, people say ‘you look well’ and ‘what have you done?!’ and you converse with friends, but they never said that to us whenever we ventured to low carb, apart from initially, which looking back shows me how amazing it was that a little bit of ‘success’ fuelled such a long and potentially damaging journey with food. In fact because of a history of low carbing I now still have hard time accepting that sugar and loads of dairy are good for you, yet I watch those around me do well on it all the time.
Funny thing is, when I was slim but curvy I always ate what I wanted and ate loads.
I know having kids shakes up the body massively, but now a few years later I’m massive (too much in those areas which used to be a positive) and no hourglass feminine figure, in spite of having ‘dieted’ nearly non stop once my last child reached six months or so.
I stupidly used to think that overweight people ate loads of rubbish, while skinny people watched themselves or survived on cigarettes or soda or something. How crazy. The body is so complicated and maybe there are no easy answers.
Now I think I probably eat three times less than I did prior to weight/ health problems and yet I probably look like I chow down on doughnuts all the while, to the average eye.
So I’m Peating now and I’m about a month into it.
I don’t know how much weight I’m expected to gain before I lose or what is meant to happen, but I no longer make judgements on people based on how they look at first sight- all the mainstream advice seems to be killing us- and if I ever feel healthy (& slimmer again) I will be more appreciative than I ever was first time round! Ha!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals