Being Sad and Lonely Accelerates Aging More Than Smoking

haidut

Forum Supporter
The title is the same as the one of the popular press article. And since feelings of sadness and loneliness are primarily caused by elevated serotonin, we can add premature aging to the list of "benefits" serotonin offers. The findings of this study probably explain a great deal of the premature aging seen in people with chronic usage of SSRI drugs. Premature greying is another symptom of using such drugs (and is a symptom of accelerated aging) and multiple studies have already demonstrated links between stress / low metabolism (other promoters of serotonin) and greying, which further corroborates the role of serotonin in the aging process.

Psychological factors substantially contribute to biological aging: evidence from the aging rate in Chinese older adults | Aging

"...Aging acceleration was detected in people with a history of stroke, liver and lung diseases, smokers, and most intriguingly, people in a vulnerable mental state. In fact, feeling unhappy, hopeless, and lonely was demonstrated to increase one’s biological age more than smoking. Living in a rural area (due to the low availability of medical services) and being single are two additional factors associated with an accelerated aging process."

The title is the same as the one of the popular press article. And since feelings of sadness and loneliness are primarily caused by elevated serotonin, we can add premature aging to the list of "benefits" serotonin offers. The findings of this study probably explain a great deal of the premature aging seen in people with chronic usage of SSRI drugs. Premature greying is another symptom of using such drugs (and is a symptom of accelerated aging) and multiple studies have already demonstrated links between stress / low metabolism (other promoters of serotonin) and greying, which further corroborates the role of serotonin in the aging process.

"...Aging acceleration was detected in people with a history of stroke, liver and lung diseases, smokers, and most intriguingly, people in a vulnerable mental state. In fact, feeling unhappy, hopeless, and lonely was demonstrated to increase one’s biological age more than smoking. Living in a rural area (due to the low availability of medical services) and being single are two additional factors associated with an accelerated aging process."
I have seen a person age ten years in a year from a divorce. I thought it was from stress, but I never dreamed loneliness, hopelessness and being vulnerable were contributors. I know earlier this year I was going downhill fast from the death of my husband, with gray coming in fast, my skin was looking tired and slack, and overall I was getting worried. Besides not eating “optimally” this explains more of what must have been going on. Thanks for this interesting post.

Inaut

I have seen a person age ten years in a year from a divorce. I thought it was from stress, but I never dreamed loneliness, hopelessness and being vulnerable were contributors. I know earlier this year I was going downhill fast from the death of my husband, with gray coming in fast, my skin was looking tired and slack, and overall I was getting worried. Besides not eating “optimally” this explains more of what must have been going on. Thanks for this interesting post.
It’s true. I’m going through a wave right now of sadness and have noticed more grey beard hairs.

Makrosky

Yep, it is real. For instance I noticed it on myself and many close people because of the plandemic. Damn criminals.

JamesGatz

I am really starting to realize this - I spend ALL MY TIME traveling to really specific healthy neighborhoods in my city to meet the healthier people

In my own neighborhood - everyone is soooo miserable that it takes a SERIOUS TOLL on me

Environment is REALLY IMPORTANT - I have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OUTLOOKS IN LIFE depending on what neighborhood I'm at

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals