Being Poor

michael94

anything without a rumen needs to be sourced carefully. So if you’re shopping for beef and chicken and, due to budgetary constraints, have to decide which you’ll pay a premium for, it’s much more important to have top-quality chicken, because the composition of the chicken’s tissues will directly reflect the composition of its diet. Whereas Cows and other ruminants are able to convert nutrients to other forms in their digestive tract. So if you feed a cow a high PUFA diet, its tissues will contain a lower proportion of PUFA than was present in the diet, but if you give a chicken, say, 40% PUFA, the fats stored in its tissues will basically be 40% PUFA.

Anyways, this is Ray’s argument for eating ruminants instead of chicken. He mentions it in a number of places I think.
One thing I will add to that is it depends where the fat comes from. For example, leaf lard/suet is different than fat from other parts of the animal and is more expensive/desired because of this.

cyclops

One thing I will add to that is it depends where the fat comes from. For example, leaf lard/suet is different than fat from other parts of the animal and is more expensive/desired because of this.

Does leaf lard/suet always have less pufa then the rest of the animal it came from or something?

Nicole W.

How would you recommend someone in the cycle of poverty pull out into wealth/abundance?
I also think this is an important question and since many people here are suggesting that the focus should be on increasing wealth, I would like offer a different point of view: In my opinion, it’s next to impossible to increase wealth when you don’t feel well. Increasing wealth or finding better job opportunities usually entails a lot of time and effort, lots of trial and error, lots of frustration and failure. I think OP would be better served by adopting a smart and strategic conservation mentality that spare his energies and gives him the biggest return on whatever he can afford today in his current situation. Once he feels better, he can tackle the bigger stuff.

I grew up with depression era parents who to this day (they are in their 90’s) have maintained a scarcity mentality. Obviously, this can have it’s pluses and minuses. Don’t even get me started on the psychological effects I suffered as a teenager because of my parents’ way of life. But today, I really recognize the merits.

Even though we were not technically poor, we lived like we were. Basically, there was no unnecessary spending. We didn’t replace things unless we really had to, we ate at home, drove old cars, created alliances with neighbors, friends and family that were mutually beneficial. My parents both taught me a lot of “hacks” that have served me over the years so perhaps a few of these ideas be helpful:

1. Make some friends that can be helpful to you. And be a helpful friend. Being alone is super expensive and unnecessary. Being autonomous doesn’t work when you are poor. You’re forced to buy things that you could have just borrowed from someone, you end up paying more for single items when you could have saved so much by buying bulk if you just had someone to share the expense with. You pay for repairs or services when a friend could have helped you figure it out on your own. My parents SURVIVED on good will and barter. Life is so much cheaper when you have friendly relationships with people around town, the grocer, the shoe repair guy, your neighbor. Also, they provide mental and emotional support, and who couldn’t use that in this day and age, right?

2. In the US at least, it seems that people are generally intolerant of less than perfect food. Exploit that. We ate a lot of bruised and blemished fruit growing up. My mom’s constant refrain was it was perfectly fine to eat. She was right. She was friends with produce manager at our local grocery and sometimes he would just give her banged up apples or whatever. Vendors at farmers markets always have fruit and veg that they have not sold at the end of the day. Probably because no one wanted it. Don’t be shy, ask them if you can have it at a discount. Probably, they would just give it to you because they don’t feel good about throwing away food that is “perfectly fine” but not pretty enough for the average person’s consumption. They same concept can be applied to day old bread, unpopular cuts of meats, etc.. Get friendly with these people, they can really help you make it.

3. Redefine your meals: There were plenty of nights when we had bread with butter and jam for dinner. Or bread with a chocolate bar. It was semi-nutritious and filling and no one died. If there was a deal on ice cream that day, or ground beef or tomato soup then that’s what’s for dinner. Chocolate bar with an egg? Sure, why not? It’s sustenance. Getting hung up on the “shoulds” of a certain diet just adds stress which doesn’t do anything for digestion or happiness. Just do the best you can. It’s just food, your body will know what to do with it.

4. This last one is a no-brainer: when possible, prepare meals in volume that can be frozen. It’s exhausting to prepare food all the time. You need to rest as much as possible if you aren’t feeling well, but you still want to eat. Eating out is probably not an option. A frozen portion of soup, for example, is the next best thing!— and it helps you avoid eating something crappy just because it’s easy and you’re tired.

Ulysses

I also think this is an important question and since many people here are suggesting that the focus should be on increasing wealth, I would like offer a different point of view: In my opinion, it’s next to impossible to increase wealth when you don’t feel well. Increasing wealth or finding better job opportunities usually entails a lot of time and effort, lots of trial and error, lots of frustration and failure. I think OP would be better served by adopting a smart and strategic conservation mentality that spare his energies and gives him the biggest return on whatever he can afford today in his current situation. Once he feels better, he can tackle the bigger stuff.

I grew up with depression era parents who to this day (they are in their 90’s) have maintained a scarcity mentality. Obviously, this can have it’s pluses and minuses. Don’t even get me started on the psychological effects I suffered as a teenager because of my parents’ way of life. But today, I really recognize the merits.

Even though we were not technically poor, we lived like we were. Basically, there was no unnecessary spending. We didn’t replace things unless we really had to, we ate at home, drove old cars, created alliances with neighbors, friends and family that were mutually beneficial. My parents both taught me a lot of “hacks” that have served me over the years so perhaps a few of these ideas be helpful:

1. Make some friends that can be helpful to you. And be a helpful friend. Being alone is super expensive and unnecessary. Being autonomous doesn’t work when you are poor. You’re forced to buy things that you could have just borrowed from someone, you end up paying more for single items when you could have saved so much by buying bulk if you just had someone to share the expense with. You pay for repairs or services when a friend could have helped you figure it out on your own. My parents SURVIVED on good will and barter. Life is so much cheaper when you have friendly relationships with people around town, the grocer, the shoe repair guy, your neighbor. Also, they provide mental and emotional support, and who couldn’t use that in this day and age, right?

2. In the US at least, it seems that people are generally intolerant of less than perfect food. Exploit that. We ate a lot of bruised and blemished fruit growing up. My mom’s constant refrain was it was perfectly fine to eat. She was right. She was friends with produce manager at our local grocery and sometimes he would just give her banged up apples or whatever. Vendors at farmers markets always have fruit and veg that they have not sold at the end of the day. Probably because no one wanted it. Don’t be shy, ask them if you can have it at a discount. Probably, they would just give it to you because they don’t feel good about throwing away food that is “perfectly fine” but not pretty enough for the average person’s consumption. They same concept can be applied to day old bread, unpopular cuts of meats, etc.. Get friendly with these people, they can really help you make it.

3. Redefine your meals: There were plenty of nights when we had bread with butter and jam for dinner. Or bread with a chocolate bar. It was semi-nutritious and filling and no one died. If there was a deal on ice cream that day, or ground beef or tomato soup then that’s what’s for dinner. Chocolate bar with an egg? Sure, why not? It’s sustenance. Getting hung up on the “shoulds” of a certain diet just adds stress which doesn’t do anything for digestion or happiness. Just do the best you can. It’s just food, your body will know what to do with it.

4. This last one is a no-brainer: when possible, prepare meals in volume that can be frozen. It’s exhausting to prepare food all the time. You need to rest as much as possible if you aren’t feeling well, but you still want to eat. Eating out is probably not an option. A frozen portion of soup, for example, is the next best thing!— and it helps you avoid eating something crappy just because it’s easy and you’re tired.
Really refreshing post.

Travis

Hey, Travis, it’s often said in health blogging circles that pastuerization “denatures” milk proteins and renders them less digestible, and more allergenic somehow, and therefore, raw milk is ideal.

But I always see pasteurization discussed positively on this forum. What are your thoughts on this?
It does change the tertiary geometry of the proteins, but so can high levels of salt or electrons (disulfide bridges can be reduced, which breaks them). Denaturing a protein does not necessarily make it less digestible, but usually the opposite. Egg white is one greatly increased in digestibility upon heating because the trypsin inhibitor is inactivated. I do know of one case in which a protein is rendered less digestible by cooking, and that is tropomyosin: a muscle protein characteristic of shellfish. This certainly can happen, and it's easy to imagine potato chip proteins being crosslinked by malondialdhyde and hydroxynonenal, lipid peroxidation products created from heating soybean oil over 400°F. In the case of milk, I wouldn't expect too much change since only a fraction of the casein actually contacts the heating element during pasteurization (and it's in water). I don't really think there would be too much crosslinking or covalent modifications, so you could probably anticipate little change in digestibility (unless milk has a protease in it to help the calf digest it, but leaving this alone would of course lead to the milk digesting itself).

Last edited:

Ulysses

It does change the tertiary geometry of the proteins, but so can high levels of salt or electrons (disulfide bridges can be reduced, which breaks them). Denaturing a protein does not necessarily make it less digestible, but usually the opposite. Egg white is one greatly increased in digestibility upon heating because the trypsin inhibitor is inactivated. I do know of one case in which a protein is rendered less digestible by cooking, and that is tropomyosin: a muscle protein characteristic of shellfish. This certainly can happen, and it's easy to imagine potato chip proteins being crosslinked by malondialdhyde and hydroxynonenal, lipid peroxidation products likely created from heating soybean oil over 400°F. In the case of milk, I wouldn't expect too much change since only a fraction of the casein actually contacts the heating element during pasteurization. I don't really think there would be too much crosslinking or covalent modifications, so you could probably anticipate little change in digestibility (unless milk has a protease in it to help the calf digest it, but leaving this alson would of course lead to the milk digesting itself).
How much does the method of pasteurization matter? I.e., pasteurized vs. ultra-pasteurized.

Travis

Kaminogawa, S. "Acid protease of bovine milk." Agricultural and Biological Chemistry (1972)

Okay, there are a few milk proteases: 'Milk acid protease' has a pH maximum of 4.0 meaning that it should be much more active as soon as it reaches the stomach. This enzyme is completely inactivated at 70°C.

So yes: Raw milk should be slightly more digestible only on account of 'extra enzymes' within the milk, but I still don't think the casein would be made less digestible by endogenous trypsin and pepsin. This relative lack of enzymes in pasteurized milk could be easily overcome, and then some, simply by taking bromelain capsules (or eating pineapple-dairy combinations (I've tried Greek yogurt with pineapple, but it really goes better with red grapes).)

michael94

Kaminogawa, S. "Acid protease of bovine milk." Agricultural and Biological Chemistry (1972)

Okay, there are a few milk proteases: 'Milk acid protease' has a pH maximum of 4.0 meaning that it should be much more active as soon as it reaches the stomach. This enzyme is completely inactivated at 70°C.

So yes: Raw milk should be slightly more digestible only on account of 'extra enzymes' within the milk, but I still don't think the casein would be made less digestible by endogenous trypsin and pepsin. This relative lack of enzymes in pasteurized milk could be easily overcome, and then some, simply by taking bromelain capsules (or eating pineapple-dairy combinations (I've tried Greek yogurt with pineapple, but it really goes better with red grapes).)
what about vat pasteurization effect on proteases? it doesn't go over 145 Fahrenheit but maintains that temperature for much longer

yerrag

Jing,

Many nutritious items don't cost so much. Ox foot, pig ears, chicken feet are rich in gelatin. Internal organs like ox tripe and tough cuts of meat that can be stewed likewise. White rice isn't expensive. Neither is sugar. Fruits are affordable when in season.Eggs are a good deal as well. Sweet potatoes are cheap. Other than milk, leaves are a great source of calcium, as well as magnesium. You don't need a large steak at all considering that 70 10 20 ratio of carb/sugar to fat/oil to protein is fine. Most vitamins and mineral reqts can be met, so that leaves with just a few supplements to buy, if you needed to.

Don't be caught up by the fancy expensive stuff in health food stores. A lot of times, they aren't even healthful but injurious to your health. You could really lose your fortune by using all these products and end up worse than you started. When you're an ever optimistic fool, you may even end up repeating "this is the last expensive purchase/treatment and then I'll be forever fine" and before you know it, you have become a pauper.

The field of keeping oneself healthy is littered with corpses of gullible rich people. Count yourself lucky. Many rich think money can buy everything, including their health. They become the victims of charlatans, who give them the most expensive treatments, but these are nowhere near as effective as the low-cost solutions that charlatans don't ever recommend. They'll sell stem cells to cancer patients, who don't realize the stem cells just turn into cancer cells in an unhealthy cancerous body.

Learn from this forum. I've found that the more I unpack the complexity in anything about health, the simpler it becomes to stay healthy. Most of the complexity lies in deconstructing the myths, the propaganda, the false narratives, and the outright lies we are bombarded with.

Ulysses

Eggs are a good deal as well. .

I once shopped at a place here in the U.S. where I could buy five dozen eggs for $12. It was the grocery outlet for a wholesaler to restaurants. Try to find a place like that.

miki14

anything without a rumen needs to be sourced carefully ... , but if you give a chicken, say, 40% PUFA, the fats stored in its tissues will basically be 40% PUFA.

Anyways, this is Ray’s argument for eating ruminants instead of chicken. He mentions it in a number of places I think.

Ray also mentions that birds have a higher metabolism & body temperature and might deal better with higher Pufa levels in their diet. Don´t mean to indorse industrial animal feed, but chicken might be less problematic as a food then porc.

B

Braveheart

Much truth to this post...thank you

B

Braveheart

Jing,

Many nutritious items don't cost so much. Ox foot, pig ears, chicken feet are rich in gelatin. Internal organs like ox tripe and tough cuts of meat that can be stewed likewise. White rice isn't expensive. Neither is sugar. Fruits are affordable when in season.Eggs are a good deal as well. Sweet potatoes are cheap. Other than milk, leaves are a great source of calcium, as well as magnesium. You don't need a large steak at all considering that 70 10 20 ratio of carb/sugar to fat/oil to protein is fine. Most vitamins and mineral reqts can be met, so that leaves with just a few supplements to buy, if you needed to.

Don't be caught up by the fancy expensive stuff in health food stores. A lot of times, they aren't even healthful but injurious to your health. You could really lose your fortune by using all these products and end up worse than you started. When you're an ever optimistic fool, you may even end up repeating "this is the last expensive purchase/treatment and then I'll be forever fine" and before you know it, you have become a pauper.

The field of keeping oneself healthy is littered with corpses of gullible rich people. Count yourself lucky. Many rich think money can buy everything, including their health. They become the victims of charlatans, who give them the most expensive treatments, but these are nowhere near as effective as the low-cost solutions that charlatans don't ever recommend. They'll sell stem cells to cancer patients, who don't realize the stem cells just turn into cancer cells in an unhealthy cancerous body.

Learn from this forum. I've found that the more I unpack the complexity in anything about health, the simpler it becomes to stay healthy. Most of the complexity lies in deconstructing the myths, the propaganda, the false narratives, and the outright lies we are bombarded with.
Another excellent post on this subject...thanks

L

lollipop

Great suggestions and hacks to help someone spiral into more! Thank you @Nicole W.

dfspcc20

Regarding milk, no so.

From Ray Peat's January 2016 newsletter

"Some of the most important anti-nitric oxide
defenses are progesterone, vitamin E, vitamin K,
vitamin A, niacinamide, coffee, aspirin, and foods
containing flavonoids, terpenoids, polyphenols, and
sterols. Grass-fed milk contains a variety of
polyphenols.
Citrus fruits, many tropical fruits (e.g.,
guavas, longans, and lychees ), and cooked
mushrooms are good sources of apigenin, narin-
genin and related chemicals."

Makes me wonder if stress hormones can be detected in eggs?

And I agree about the chickens; it's good to make an attempt at be morally-responsible about as many things as possible. The conditions some chickens are kept in can be rather harsh absolutely brutal, packed so close their beaks must be clipped to prevent homicidal pecking.

i dont know. does ray say something about generations having health effects?

anyway, this is the brand i buy, these are the chickens. enjoy the 2 dollar torture chickens the rest of you. you are getting chickens with zero light, and enabling animal torture. good job.

it isnt showing the images, but heres the site showing hte pics: Our Pasture Raised & Certified Organic Egg Brands | Vital Farms

IMG_5054.jpg

Georgia-Farms-3220.jpg

updated-Alfresco2.png

Regarding milk, no so. Peat has stated that grass fed cows can sometimes eat allergic foods that causes the milk to contain allergies. Grass fed milk as a whole isn't much different than the milk provided in the store. He has also stated that milk is one of the safer foods in the commercial food production.

Ray Peat

Free range eggs are usually fed soy feed. The vegetarian feed is code word for soy base. Soy is subsidizes by the u.s government and is one of the main exports of the U.S. So it may not only be a monetary problem but also a logistical problem since trying to find a source of eggs that aren't feed soy.

okay so what are normal eggs fed? grain? is that supposed to be better? the chickens still eat stuff that is outside like worms or insects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis

i dont know. does ray say something about generations having health effects?

anyway, this is the brand i buy, these are the chickens. enjoy the 2 dollar torture chickens the rest of you. you are getting chickens with zero light, and enabling animal torture. good job.

it isnt showing the images, but heres the site showing hte pics: Our Pasture Raised & Certified Organic Egg Brands | Vital Farms

IMG_5054.jpg

Georgia-Farms-3220.jpg

updated-Alfresco2.png

okay so what are normal eggs fed? grain? is that supposed to be better? the chickens still eat stuff that is outside like worms or insects.
I have never bought eggs very frequently—but when I did: it was from small local farms (still sold at the grocery store). Even the most expensive eggs still seem inexpensive in general: A person generally only eats about six eggs or less per day, and the better ones cost only about 10¢ more per egg.

I just wish there were low-linoleate eggs: The vast majority of eggs range between 15–25% linoleic acid, and the rare tallow-fed egg is found with about 6% (as a percentage of total fatty acids). In a dietary lipid study I'd saw where fatty acid intakes were compared for disease epidemiology, it had been incidentally discovered that 'Greek eggs' have about 8% linoleic acid. There doesn't appear much a person can do that here in the United States (besides buy their own chickens), because even feeding α-linolenic acid does not significantly displace it; the eggs marketed as 'ω−3 enriched' are only about 1% lower in the far more more dangerous ω−6 linoleic acid.

Even though α-linolenic acid, γ-linolenic acid, and linoleic acid have similar names they are quite different. If linseed oil hadn't been such a commodity when fatty acids were being named they would have been named differently; I think its easily to imagine them having been named juglandic acid (via walnuts), boragic acid (via borage), and helianthic acid (via sunflower seeds) under different circumstances. I feel that α-linolenic is tainted semantically by association with linoleate, which is unfortunate since the former is actually the only essential fatty acid—in people not eating pre-made DHA from fish—and are not precursors for the dangerous 1- and 2-series prostaglandins. Our enzymes cannot interconvert the majority of ω−3, ω−6, and ω−9 fatty acids and they all have different biological effects. Although it's good to avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids in general, we wouldn't be able to think properly without DHA in our brains (having six double bonds). Zellweger's disease is a condition defined by a relative lack of brain DHA, and in which the space made available becomes occupied by DPA and the notorious arachidonic acid.

Last edited:

cyclops

A person generally only eats about six eggs or less per day, making the better ones cost only about 10¢ more per egg.

What does how many eggs a person eats per day have to do with how much more the better eggs cost?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals