Been taking thyroid for months and still no improvements

Eric Taylor

Hey everyone, I wanted to make a post on here to get some opinions on what I could be doing wrong and why I haven’t experienced symptom relief after months of taking cynoplus and cynomel. I am a 21 year old male. Started taking cynoplus and cynomel in late August with half a grain of cynoplus. Since then I have increased the thyroid dose by .5 grain after 3 or more weeks. Currently on 3.5 grains of cynoplus split up into 4 doses and enough extra t3 for a 1/3 ratio. Total cholesterol started at 248 and has dropped to 177 (measured just last week). Vitamin D was also checked recently and is in the 60s. Tsh used to be 2.6 and was undetectable now (below .05). Pulse has been sporadic over the last few months and is either 60 or between 80-90. I suspected that the pulse increase was due to adrenaline so I added more dietary salt and started using my supplements topically to avoid irritating the intestine. This seems to have decreased the pulse back down to its true value of 60. Morning temp is always around 97 and rises to either 98 or 98.6. I’ve been taking an antibiotic for the past week to try and reduce intestinal seratonin and will stop tomorrow. Drink about a half gallon of sugared milk a day and eat a lot of oranges. Definitely get enough protein from meat + milk. I obviously avoid PUFA. I eat liver and oysters once a week as well. I’m curious why my blood tests have improved but I get no temperature and pulse improvement’s nor relief of symptoms. I am unsure if I am just not taking enough thyroid or if there is something that is stopping it from relieving symptoms. What are your guys thoughts and did anyone have a similar experience to me? What levels did your labs get to before experiencing improvement of hypothyroid symptoms? Also if someone could message me ray's email so I could contact him too I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Hey everyone, I wanted to make a post on here to get some opinions on what I could be doing wrong and why I haven’t experienced symptom relief after months of taking cynoplus and cynomel. I am a 21 year old male. Started taking cynoplus and cynomel in late August with half a grain of cynoplus. Since then I have increased the thyroid dose by .5 grain after 3 or more weeks. Currently on 3.5 grains of cynoplus split up into 4 doses and enough extra t3 for a 1/3 ratio. Total cholesterol started at 248 and has dropped to 177 (measured just last week). Vitamin D was also checked recently and is in the 60s. Tsh used to be 2.6 and was undetectable now (below .05). Pulse has been sporadic over the last few months and is either 60 or between 80-90. I suspected that the pulse increase was due to adrenaline so I added more dietary salt and started using my supplements topically to avoid irritating the intestine. This seems to have decreased the pulse back down to its true value of 60. Morning temp is always around 97 and rises to either 98 or 98.6. I’ve been taking an antibiotic for the past week to try and reduce intestinal seratonin and will stop tomorrow. Drink about a half gallon of sugared milk a day and eat a lot of oranges. Definitely get enough protein from meat + milk. I obviously avoid PUFA. I eat liver and oysters once a week as well. I’m curious why my blood tests have improved but I get no temperature and pulse improvement’s nor relief of symptoms. I am unsure if I am just not taking enough thyroid or if there is something that is stopping it from relieving symptoms. What are your guys thoughts and did anyone have a similar experience to me? What levels did your labs get to before experiencing improvement of hypothyroid symptoms?
Several thoughts:
I think your cholesterol is too low. Cholesterol is protective.

I learned from experience recently that if you consume calcium rich food (i.e. milk) within an hour of taking your thyroid med the calcium will block the thyroid med from working. For that reason, I now take all of my thyroid medication first thing when I get up, with orange juice, and wait at least an hour before having any milk. It's made a big difference for me. See here: Hypothyroidism: Can calcium supplements interfere with treatment?

If your ability to use thiamine is blocked or if you are deficient in thiamine, your mitochondrial function (oxidative metabolism) will be blocked even if you are supplementing with thyroid. I tested the possibility of having a thiamine problem by taking about 250-300 mg thiamine; my inflammation disappeared and my temperature increased from 98 to 99 within 45 minutes, which confirmed thiamine was/is an issue for me.

60 is pretty low for a healthy pulse. If you feel great, well maybe it's fine. But if you don't feel great, this may be a strong indication your metabolic rate is in the ditch. My pulse was erratic when I discovered I had a thiamine problem. It went from 75-80 on up to 105 and back again for no reason that I could discern.

I've been on a 180 mg dose of natural desiccated thyroid made by Acella for 6 years. Last fall, I felt so hypothyroid I got blood work done to check to see if the medication was bad. The blood test showed that my T3 was through the roof high and my endocrinologist lowered my dose to 150 mg. I had all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism, including gaining 20 pounds in about 2 months, high inflammation, and severe lethargy, but my blood test screamed hyperthyroidism. I have been working on my thiamine issue for the past several months and I'm seeing good improvement. Haven't lost any weight yet, but my inflammation is much better and I have some energy to do things again.

Maybe you can extrapolate some helpful information from my story.

OP
E

Eric Taylor

Several thoughts:

I learned from experience recently that if you consume calcium rich food (i.e. milk) within an hour of taking your thyroid med the calcium will block the thyroid med from working. For that reason, I now take all of my thyroid medication first thing when I get up, with orange juice, and wait at least an hour before having any milk. It's made a big difference for me. See here: Hypothyroidism: Can calcium supplements interfere with treatment?

If your ability to use thiamine is blocked or if you are deficient in thiamine, your mitochondrial function (oxidative metabolism) will be blocked even if you are supplementing with thyroid. I tested the possibility of having a thiamine problem by taking about 250-300 mg thiamine; my inflammation disappeared and my temperature increased from 98 to 99 within 45 minutes, which confirmed thiamine was/is an issue for me.

60 is pretty low for a healthy pulse. If you feel great, well maybe it's fine. But if you don't feel great, this may be a strong indication your metabolic rate is in the ditch. My pulse was erratic when I discovered I had a thiamine problem. It went from 75-80 on up to 105 and back again for no reason that I could discern.

I've been on a 180 mg dose of natural desiccated thyroid made by Acella for 6 years. Last fall, I felt so hypothyroid I got blood work done to check to see if the medication was bad. The blood test showed that my T3 was through the roof high and my endocrinologist lowered my dose to 150 mg. I had all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism, including gaining 20 pounds in about 2 months, high inflammation, and severe lethargy, but my blood test screamed hyperthyroidism. I have been working on my thiamine issue for the past several months and I'm seeing good improvement. Haven't lost any weight yet, but my inflammation is much better and I have some energy to do things again.

Several thoughts:

Thanks for the response! The calcium thing could be something that I could try and experiment with because I have been taking milk shortly after most of my doses. However, I think that Ray actually takes calcium with his thyroid dose so maybe that is not the issue. "I usually take 5 mcg with some milk and cheese, so that it absorbs gradually. If you crush the tablet, doses of 1 or 2 mcg every hour or two will produce very mild effects that you will be able to measure in your pulse rate and temperature. T3 is quick acting, and has a half-life in the body of about one day, so it’s important to check pulse rate 30 minutes to an hour after a dose of T3, during the first two or three days, until you find the right way to dose. Were you taking the T4 in a single dose per day? Doctors usually give that instruction. If your diet lacks something, such as selenium or vitamin D, that’s needed for thyroid to work, T4 can interfere with the effects of T3; if you take 25 or 50 mcg in a single daily dose, the liver will experience a momentary toxic overdose, and over a period of a week or two will adapt its detoxification enzymes to destroy it, with the result that the body will be extremely deficient in thyroid most of the day, with a short period of toxic excess." Raymond Peat, PhD (2018)

Also what thiamine supplement do you take?

mostlylurking

Thanks for the response! The calcium thing could be something that I could try and experiment with because I have been taking milk shortly after most of my doses. However, I think that Ray actually takes calcium with his thyroid dose so maybe that is not the issue. "I usually take 5 mcg with some milk and cheese, so that it absorbs gradually. If you crush the tablet, doses of 1 or 2 mcg every hour or two will produce very mild effects that you will be able to measure in your pulse rate and temperature. T3 is quick acting, and has a half-life in the body of about one day, so it’s important to check pulse rate 30 minutes to an hour after a dose of T3, during the first two or three days, until you find the right way to dose. Were you taking the T4 in a single dose per day? Doctors usually give that instruction. If your diet lacks something, such as selenium or vitamin D, that’s needed for thyroid to work, T4 can interfere with the effects of T3; if you take 25 or 50 mcg in a single daily dose, the liver will experience a momentary toxic overdose, and over a period of a week or two will adapt its detoxification enzymes to destroy it, with the result that the body will be extremely deficient in thyroid most of the day, with a short period of toxic excess." Raymond Peat, PhD (2018)

Also what thiamine supplement do you take?
I've been taking natural desiccated thyroid made by Acella. Endocrinology – Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC They run a tight ship and are under constant scrutiny by the FDA. I take it once a day, first thing in the morning. I tried breaking it into several doses. I felt like crap until I got the last dose in me. I lost half my day feeling bad. I don't go through that if I take the whole dose first thing in the morning and not have milk for at least an hour after.

I take 10,000iu D3 each morning. I eat oysters weekly for the trace minerals.

About the calcium blocking the thyroid med: I tested it for myself by not having milk for an hour after my med. It helped a lot. Give it a try; maybe it will help you.

I'm now taking 2 grams a day of thiamine HCI.