Beef Tallow?

tara

Ray does say that ruminant animals fed pufa will convert it to saturated fat.

Grain fed, sedentary (i.e. raised in captivity, confined spaces etc) ruminant animals have a far far higher PUFA content in their fat stores than outdoors, free range, grass and plant eating animals.

My understanding of Peat and other sources is that ruminants have significant capacity to convert PUFAs in their diet to SFAs, so that unlike say pigs or chickens, their fat is generally much more saturated than the food they eat. The limits of this capacity can still be exceeded if you push it too far.

Animals that are in cold conditions, and the colder parts of the animals, tend to have higher PUFA ratio than ones in warmer climate or than the fat round the vital organs.

So my expectation would be that other factors being equal, fat in ruminants feed a large amount of grain etc may have higher PUFA ration than grass fed, but not as high as the grain itself.
But the fat on the extremities of ruminants that spend a lot of time outside in the cold may have higher PUFA ratio than those eating the same diet in warm housing or warm climate.

I would expect tallow to be a good product for moisturising, and several members have reported finding it good.

Some people have found coconut oil useful, but some of us, me included, find it too drying on the skin if used straight. Mixing it with cocoa butter has worked better for me.

shepherdgirl

Isn't all the fat in grass PUFA? Why do cows have a much higher SFA ratio when eating grass as opposed to grains or whatever else?
I seem to remember Ray saying that there is vitamin E in grasses, so maybe that could help with saturating PUFAs.

Richiebogie

Some seeds have more fat than others. Wheat is a low fat seed compared to soy or canola. Farmers don't tend to fatten their farm animals with wheat.

Seeds store energy as fat. When they sprout they convert the fat into carbs. Compare wheat flour to young wheat grass.

Soon after sprouting the grass obtains its own energy from the sun. Grass has more available nutrients and fewer anti-nutrients than seed.

stargazer1111

This is simply not true. Grain fed, sedentary (i.e. raised in captivity, confined spaces etc) ruminant animals have a far far higher PUFA content in their fat stores than outdoors, free range, grass and plant eating animals. This is well known. Further, when animals raised in captivity/indoors eating grains/soy etc breed and breed, the inclination for high PUFA content in their fat passes down. They essentially become very sick animals that store fat quickly and are killed young, toxins stored in the fat. Wagyu cows are a perfect example of this, very high in PUFA and omega 3. Not wise to be slathering beef tallow over your face and body daily. There are many studies showing how the transdermal application of fats can alter our own fat store composition, haidut has posted are few. Stick with coconut oil/MCT oil, far safer and far better for a myriad of reasons.

Actually, it is true. Ruminant animals convert carbohydrates into fatty acids in their stomachs via the gut flora. The only fatty acids produced by their gut bacteria are saturated and monounsaturated. It doesn't matter what kind of grain they eat. Most grains are so low in fat that the little polyunsaturated fat they consume is negligible.

managing

Actually, it is true. Ruminant animals convert carbohydrates into fatty acids in their stomachs via the gut flora. The only fatty acids produced by their gut bacteria are saturated and monounsaturated. It doesn't matter what kind of grain they eat. Most grains are so low in fat that the little polyunsaturated fat they consume is negligible.
Then why would grass-fed beef be preferable to grain fed?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Then why would grass-fed beef be preferable to grain fed?
From my understanding grass fed is more important when it comes to the fat component but there isn’t much difference between grass fed and grain fed in the muscle meat itself. The fat has the fat soluble vitamins which are a bit better in grass fed beef and since toxins accumulate in fat grass fed animals should be a better choice from a potential toxin standpoint. I certainly doesn’t seem like the fatty acid profile is dramatically different between grass v grain fed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
01289DFA-2BCC-4ED2-885E-DFAA5F0FDA25.png

Sunrise

What about tallow from grass fed free range cows? Peat approved and recommended?

Mauritio

Grass fed beef is actually lower in saturated fat compared to grain fed beef!
It also has higher omgea3 fatty acid content.

"A 100 g beef meat from grass-fed cattle contained 2,773 mg less total saturated fatty acids (SFA) than that from the same amount of grain-fed. Grass-fed also showed a more favorable SFA lipid profile containing less cholesterol-raising fatty acids (C12:0 to C16:0) but contained a lesser amount of cholesterol-lowering C18:0 than grain-fed beef. In terms of essential fatty acids, grass-fed beef showed greater levels of trans-vaccenic acid and long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA; EPA, DPA, DHA) than grain-fed beef."

HighT

Grass fed beef is actually lower in saturated fat compared to grain fed beef!
It also has higher omgea3 fatty acid content.
Interesting. Since I changed cooking with sunflower oil to tallow a year go I have many pufa depletion effects. What I take is a fat chunks which i melt it to tallow. The store is 'conventional'. Im sure they are grain fed animals they sell products of.

The few times i ate pufa cooked stuff this year I felt bad immediately. Now for Christmass I ate quite a few pufa stuff and it is the third day I have energy only to lay in bed and sofas.....

Mauritio

Interesting. Since I changed cooking with sunflower oil to tallow a year go I have many pufa depletion effects. What I take is a fat chunks which i melt it to tallow. The store is 'conventional'. Im sure they are grain fed animals they sell products of.

The few times i ate pufa cooked stuff this year I felt bad immediately. Now for Christmass I ate quite a few pufa stuff and it is the third day I have energy only to lay in bed and sofas.....
Interesting. You could also look up the melting point of beef tallow. Heat it up to a few degrees before that point and discard the oil that melts.
The melted oil will be mostly PUFA/MUFA .
I discussed a similar method with ray for olive oil (the convo is in the email thread) and he he said it should work.

HighT

Heat it up to a few degrees before that point and discard the oil that melts.
The melted oil will be mostly PUFA/MUFA .
Ok I will research further, cause what I've done is to collect the melted oil, not discard it. Another thing is that first time I made beef tallow the result was very solid white tallow. And the second time was during the summer and the tallow in the jars remained brown after the cooling, and it is not as solid. So it is either very high pufa or I've heat it much more than needed and it has oxidised.