Beef Tallow?

betsyaida

I make a beef tallow balm and use it on my face and body... Is Beef tallow low PUFA and Peat approved?

Ritchie

Well no, not really. Beef tallow can be high in PUFA depending on whether it is coming from grain fed or grass fed cows. Further, the tallow can be compromised if it came from sick or poorly fed/poorly raised animals. On top of that, it is very high in monounsaturated fat which you don't want to be using too much of. Why not just use coconut oil? Way better, way safer and way more "Peaty".

shepherdgirl

I think that Ray says that ruminant animals can eat a lot of pufa and still have very little pufa in their fat, because of the processing of pufa in the rumen.

Ritchie

I think that Ray says that ruminant animals can eat a lot of pufa and still have very little pufa in their fat, because of the processing of pufa in the rumen.
This is simply not true. Grain fed, sedentary (i.e. raised in captivity, confined spaces etc) ruminant animals have a far far higher PUFA content in their fat stores than outdoors, free range, grass and plant eating animals. This is well known. Further, when animals raised in captivity/indoors eating grains/soy etc breed and breed, the inclination for high PUFA content in their fat passes down. They essentially become very sick animals that store fat quickly and are killed young, toxins stored in the fat. Wagyu cows are a perfect example of this, very high in PUFA and omega 3. Not wise to be slathering beef tallow over your face and body daily. There are many studies showing how the transdermal application of fats can alter our own fat store composition, haidut has posted are few. Stick with coconut oil/MCT oil, far safer and far better for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited:

BibleBeliever

This is simply not true. Grain fed, sedentary (i.e. raised in captivity, confined spaces etc) ruminant animals have a far far higher PUFA content in their fat stores than outdoors, free range, grass and plant eating animals. This is well known. Further, when animals raised in captivity/indoors eating grains/soy etc breed and breed, the inclination for high PUFA content in their fat passes down. They essentially become very sick animals that store fat quickly and are killed young. Wagyu cows are a perfect example of this, very high in PUFA and omega 3.
Have any links? Ray does say that ruminant animals fed pufa will convert it to saturated fat. I've heard it on the raypeatclips youtube.

Ritchie

Have any links? Ray does say that ruminant animals fed pufa will convert it to saturated fat. I've heard it on the raypeatclips youtube.
Just look into it mate, the information is not hard to find. Wagyu cows are at one end of the spectrum (high PUFA), grain/soy fed and captive animals next (becoming quite marbled in the fat throughout muscle and almost becoming similar to wagyu in PUFA) and grass fed, free range has less. Regardless, they are all very high in monounsaturates. Mind posting the quote/video from Peat?

Last edited:

dfspcc20

Tallow balm (grass-fed tallow [80%] + olive oil [20%]) seems to work much better, for my family, anyway. Coconut oil by itself just seems to form a waterproof barrier on the skin, but doesn't seem to do much beyond that, except wipe off on everyone's clothes, upholstery, linens, etc.

Ritchie

Tallow balm (grass-fed tallow [80%] + olive oil [20%]) seems to work much better, for my family, anyway. Coconut oil by itself just seems to form a waterproof barrier on the skin, but doesn't seem to do much beyond that, except wipe off on everyone's clothes, upholstery, linens, etc.
Have you tried MCT oil? I think it will alleviate the concerns you mention here with coconut oil.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh coconut oil is not very moisturizing at all. Urea is where it's at. :ss2

dfspcc20

Have you tried MCT oil? I think it will alleviate the concerns you mention here with coconut oil.

No. I've been meaning to try it for other things, though. I'm a little cautious, since my kids are the ones who need the moisturizing aspect more than me, and not sure if MCT oil might have any unintended consequences with them.

Ideonaut

Beef tallow can be high in PUFA depending on whether it is coming from grain fed or grass fed cows
oh, I think Peat said ruminants like cows and sheep turn everything into saturated fats, unlike pigs and chickens who if they eat PUFA have PUFA in their fat.

milk_lover

Just look into it mate, the information is not hard to find. Wagyu cows are at one end of the spectrum (high PUFA), grain/soy fed and captive animals next (becoming quite marbled in the fat throughout muscle and almost becoming similar to wagyu in PUFA) and grass fed, free range has less. Regardless, they are all very high in monounsaturates. Mind posting the quote/video from Peat?
Interesting the wagyu info bit. Why do you think it has high pufa? My friend made me pay almost 500 dollars to eat at one of the highest wagyu places in Osaka, Japan, and after the lunch, I was surely not happy.. Maybe it was due to pufa not the bill..

Ritchie

Interesting the wagyu info bit. Why do you think it has high pufa? My friend made me pay almost 500 dollars to eat at one of the highest wagyu places in Osaka, Japan, and after the lunch, I was surely not happy.. Maybe it was due to pufa not the bill..
Yeah the Japanese regard wagyu (which just means Japanese cow) very highly for the fact that they are extremely fatty and therefore quite buttery when eaten. They are fed a high grain, high soybean and canola meal diet, among other things to fatten them up, and kept quite sedentary. There have been many nutritional analyses done on the meat and fat and are regarded as "beneficial" due to the high percentage of PUFA and omega 3 content, as well as MUFA, in ratio to the saturated fats. Before I was aware of Peat and other well researched nutritional knowledge regarding the negative health impacts of eating muscle meat and animal fat, I used to frequent a steak orientated restaurant that served very prized wagyu. Never paid $500 but have parted with $200 plus before. That certainly will never happen again haha..

Last edited:

paymanz

But those Japanese cows are especial breeds with high fat content in muscles , according to data i can find.

They are different than other breeds of cows.

Ritchie

But those Japanese cows are especial breeds with high fat content in muscles , according to data i can find.

They are different than other breeds of cows.
They have just been kept in the blood line. Ie. fattening them up-interbreed them-fattening them up-interbreed them. Same thing thats happening with factory and general farming of grain fed cows elsewhere. Point is, cows certainly do put on PUFA and, as stated above, depending on the feed and conditions etc will effect the ratios of PUFA/MUFA/SFA.

paymanz

They have just been kept in the blood line. Ie. fattening them up-interbreed them-fattening them up-interbreed them. Same thing thats happening with factory and general farming of grain fed cows elsewhere. Point is, cows certainly do put on PUFA and, as stated above, depending on the feed and conditions etc will effect the ratios of PUFA/MUFA/SFA.
To really make a conclusion you need to find out what they feed them in Japanese breed and then find what they feed in other farms, its standard feed composition usually.

And again the Japanese breed is made to store more intramuscular fat.

I just saying this conclusion that cows tallow in today industrial world is high pufa is a bit premature.

Ritchie

To really make a conclusion you need to find out what they feed them in Japanese breed and then find what they feed in other farms, its standard feed composition usually.

And again the Japanese breed is made to store more intramuscular fat.

I just saying this conclusion that cows tallow in today industrial world is high pufa is a bit premature.
Yep.. Grains, soybean, canola meal etc. Same same. Only major difference is that wagyu cow meat has got more marbling of fat through the muscle. Regardless, a standard scotch fillet grain fed will have quite high fat marbling also. Point being, it would be wise to avoid animal fat in general, but particularly from modern farmed animals. Remember, Peat will use hydrogenated coconut oil instead of regular to make sure it is completely saturated, because he believes that 1% PUFA and few percent MUFA is too much for him to use daily. Certainly not saying do everything Peat does, just illustrating the point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals