Beef shank roast

BingDing

Not really much of a recipe, just thoughts about the main ingredient. Reading RP that lean muscle meat is something of a refined food startled me a bit, I'd never thought about it that way. Talking to a vendor at the farmer's market, he suggested a beef shank roast. It was from the famous Polyface Farms so I knew it was healthy.

The roast was 1.8 pounds and had two bones, maybe 1 1/2 inches thick, I think that's larger than typical. I seared both sides and put it atop the vegs in a covered glass dish, and cooked for two hours at 300F. The marrow of both bones cooked out, so I got that, and it had plenty of gristle and tasty fat. I coated the vegs with coconut oil, which didn't do much in a covered dish except for adding some healthy fat. The meat shrank down to about an inch thick and fell a bit short of really tender but was plenty good. The whole meal was a natural for lots of salt, and the liquor on the plate after the food was gone was to die for.

Served with Mexicoke w/ a shot of light cream, I count it as a successful culinary adventure in Peatland.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sounds yummy! I love me some lamb shank.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

You're a great forum mate, Rachel! Do share your recipe, I know I can improve on my first try and would love to learn more.

Did you find any rennet? I couldn't find any locally, until I got inspired and emailed the dairy that makes my favorite milk, they only sell at the farmers market on Saturday mornings. She said she'd send some rennet along tomorrow, woohoo for me! Tomorrow's their last day at the market until spring, I'm gonna buy 3 gallons of milk and 2 quarts of heavy cream. February is gonna be grim for a dairy junkie like me, LOL. Will post about how the cottage cheese turns out.

BD

Rachel

BingDing said:
You're a great forum mate, Rachel! Do share your recipe, I know I can improve on my first try and would love to learn more.

Did you find any rennet? I couldn't find any locally, until I got inspired and emailed the dairy that makes my favorite milk, they only sell at the farmers market on Saturday mornings. She said she'd send some rennet along tomorrow, woohoo for me! Tomorrow's their last day at the market until spring, I'm gonna buy 3 gallons of milk and 2 quarts of heavy cream. February is gonna be grim for a dairy junkie like me, LOL. Will post about how the cottage cheese turns out.

BD
Thanks, BingDing!
Okee dokee! I'll put the recipe in it's own thread. Here be it: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=918

I found some rennet online but I'm going to hold off for now because I'm just drinking regular milk. Daisy cottage cheese is a lot more economical. It would cost me double to make a homemade equivalent of Daisy cottage cheese. :(
When I'm doing "grassfed", organic, local milk only, my own cheese will be the only way to go.

Yes, let us know how it goes!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom