Beef organs or beef liver supplement

L91

I was looking at a grass fed beef liver supplement, and there was also a beef organs supplement. This includes beef liver, but also kidney, spleen heart and pancreas.

I can only afford to buy one at the moment, and I'm leaning towards the organs supplement. As I rarely get those in my diet and they are harder to obtain.

Also I know I can eat liver, but I just don't. So I want a supplement for back up.

Are these supplements worth getting at all, and does the organ one sound any good?

sunny

Question : Should we also be careful with Grass Beef Liver Capsules ? Collagen Hydrolysate ?

RP : Defatted liver capsules provide iron, some trace minerals, and at least some of the B vitamins, but there have been studies of multivitamin-mineral tablets that found that including copper and iron in a formula destroyed most of the vitamins. If they are freeze-dried, with the oily vitamins still present, the fragments of oxidized vitamins A and K are likely to be harmful.

liam183

I use both regularly. For maintenance purposes, you should be fine with just taking liver. What I do usually is take liver 2-3 bottles and then do 1 bottle of organs.

Fred

I was looking at a grass fed beef liver supplement,

Supplements are missing a lot of what makes liver good, and will contain bad by-products. Ray has talked about this. Just buy frozen liver at the grocery store (frozen is usually fresher tasting) and chop it up into little tiny cubes while it's still almost frozen. Then you can swallow spoonfuls of it raw with some chocolate milk or something and you won't even taste it. I do this all the time. It literally has almost no flavor when you do it this way.

Supplements are missing a lot of what makes liver good, and will contain bad by-products. Ray has talked about this. Just buy frozen liver at the grocery store (frozen is usually fresher tasting) and chop it up into little tiny cubes while it's still almost frozen. Then you can swallow spoonfuls of it raw with some chocolate milk or something and you won't even taste it. I do this all the time. It literally has almost no flavor when you do it this way.
So you let it thaw out a bit (not all the way, just enough to cut through with a knife), cut it into tiny cubes, consume some, and refreeze the cubes that are left (to consumer another time)? I'm also trying to get off supplements.

Fred

So you let it thaw out a bit (not all the way, just enough to cut through with a knife), cut it into tiny cubes, consume some, and refreeze the cubes that are left (to consumer another time)? I'm also trying to get off supplements.
I usually just cut up the amount I'm going to use at that moment. 1.5 or 2oz. It's pretty easy to cut with a butcher knife after 5 or 10 mins. If you wait too long it's impossible to cut. Anyway, I cut it into little cubes (maybe 1/4" or less) and then spread the cubes out on a plate and let them thaw while I make my gelatin/chocolate milk. It's super-easy (I hate cooking and food prep) and, with the milk, makes a satisfying meal. Just wash the cubes down with the milk. I seriously get ZERO revolting flavors this way. Gelatin and coffee/chocolate counteract the problematic aminos and iron in the liver. The perfect meal?
PS - unfrozen liver spoilsVERY fast, so I don't recommend buying/storing it in non-frozen form.

I usually just cut up the amount I'm going to use at that moment. 1.5 or 2oz. It's pretty easy to cut with a butcher knife after 5 or 10 mins. If you wait too long it's impossible to cut. Anyway, I cut it into little cubes (maybe 1/4" or less) and then spread the cubes out on a plate and let them thaw while I make my gelatin/chocolate milk. It's super-easy (I hate cooking and food prep) and, with the milk, makes a satisfying meal. Just wash the cubes down with the milk. I seriously get ZERO revolting flavors this way. Gelatin and coffee/chocolate counteract the problematic aminos and iron in the liver. The perfect meal?
PS - unfrozen liver spoilsVERY fast, so I don't recommend buying/storing it in non-frozen form.
Thanks! Going to give this a shot.

OP
L

L91

Ok, I will try this first, thank you!

I used to take 4oz of frozen (cooked) beef liver blended with a couple ounces of carton coconut milk as a "shot"... just chug it down and deal with a moment's aftertaste and .. that's it. Not too unpleasant to consume.

Then I did a 3 day water fast and broke the fast with a serving of beef liver. It was tolerable, even good tasting. I was actually able to enjoy it and now I have learned to love (or at least accept) the nutritious taste.