Beef liver safe while pregnant?

orangeUglad

I consume a lot of milk, tropical fruits, organ meats etc...was reading online pregnant woman should not eat liver because the high vitamin A can cause birth defects...is this true? Also does anyone have good diet/supplement advice for a pregnant woman?

redsun

I consume a lot of milk, tropical fruits, organ meats etc...was reading online pregnant woman should not eat liver because the high vitamin A can cause birth defects...is this true? Also does anyone have good diet/supplement advice for a pregnant woman?
Probably should only have it very very rarely if at all. Take a prenatal, eat all types of foods, listen to cravings. That's really all there is to it.

OP
orangeUglad

orangeUglad

Probably should only have it very very rarely if at all. Take a prenatal, eat all types of foods, listen to cravings. That's really all there is to it.
Thank you so much. Truly appreciate it. Is there a particular prenatal you would recommend?

Ippodrom47

Screw liver, especially when pregnant. Vitamin A toxicity is no joke, I'm speaking from experience.

Makrosky

Not joking : Ask your grandmoms. They probably know better than any of us.

peatra

The most concerning period for vitamin A toxicity is early pregnancy, when excess causes anencephaly. I'd probably do a few crackers with pate so you get some nutrients without going overboard, and skip the first trimester fully. For what it's worth, I took 5k IU via cod liver oil throughout pregnancy with zero issues.

OP
orangeUglad

orangeUglad

The most concerning period for vitamin A toxicity is early pregnancy, when excess causes anencephaly. I'd probably do a few crackers with pate so you get some nutrients without going overboard, and skip the first trimester fully. For what it's worth, I took 5k IU via cod liver oil throughout pregnancy with zero issues.
Thank you so much ?