Beef Liver Makes Me Moody / Depressed

HealingBoy

Hey people,

Yesterday, I bought beef liver and cooked it with leeks and mushrooms. Despite the fact that liver tastes absolutely awful, I managed to eat something like 100g of beef liver and left all the rest to my flatmates.

Today, I feel more moody, more angry.

I have different options, it's either :
- high vitamin A dose
- high copper dose
- high B12 dose

as I know liver has a huge amount of those.

Anybody felt that effect ? I'm wondering how I could isolate the source of the problem.

Atman

Did you have any carbs with it? If not, that could be the problem.

How can you be sure anyway that it was the liver you ate yesterday?

OP
H

HealingBoy

I thought having pasta with it but decided I wasn't hungry enough to have a "big fat meal". Why are carbs necessary ? I was feeling stable until today, and the only thing I can see now is the liver (leeks and mushrooms don't do that to me, although I know mushrooms can bring some copper).

I hesitate between copper and B12. Maybe I should have test niacinamide to counter too much folates/methyl, but I'm currently on no-supplement for the second week (I'm going to have blood tests for : cortisol, testosterone and TSH, and I want to see how they behave when I take nothing.)

Protein lowers blood sugar levels. Also, liver has a lot of b vitamins, which also lower blood sugar. Aside from that, maybe you don't react well to retinol.

somuch4food

High histamine

That ^. I'm starting to believe that my real problem is with histamine. Was your beef liver fresh? Liver and mushrooms are both high in histamine which can trigger a host of symptoms.

Copper and vit A could also be implicated. It might even be a combination of factors and not one isolated thing.

Frankdee20

Perhaps high Choline content ? Surprisingly, when I eat Veal Liver in substantial amounts, it does not lower my mood. The same cannot be said if I had 4 eggs (same choline content). Perhaps it is a combination of factors though. Too much Choline lowers mood though, it is a nasty feeling.

LuMonty

My guess is also blood sugar. I have Red Bull and beef liver for breakfast, and then whatever carbs are handy. The drop is so noticeable that I can have starch if absolutely needed because it gets used so quickly. I would recommend having some fruit next time you have liver to see. Then you'll know more to explore options posted here.

@Frankdee20 I've wondered that myself. I can have 6 or even more eggs in a pinch, but not get the same effect as from other choline sources. My guess is because the choline is in the yolk, the fat slows the rate of absorption. Liver is typically lean so I'd guess that it's being burned off quickly.

Frankdee20

My guess is also blood sugar. I have Red Bull and beef liver for breakfast, and then whatever carbs are handy. The drop is so noticeable that I can have starch if absolutely needed because it gets used so quickly. I would recommend having some fruit next time you have liver to see. Then you'll know more to explore options posted here.

@Frankdee20 I've wondered that myself. I can have 6 or even more eggs in a pinch, but not get the same effect as from other choline sources. My guess is because the choline is in the yolk, the fat slows the rate of absorption. Liver is typically lean so I'd guess that it's being burned off quickly.

Liver is high in Glutamic Acid, used for the creation of GABA. Has roughly 10 grams per serving.

LuMonty

Liver is high in Glutamic Acid, used for the creation of GABA. Has roughly 10 grams per serving.
I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. The whole deal with glutamine and GABA is confusing to me. I've never been clear on how they influence each other and if they should be messed with at all.

postman

Probably the retinol, liver is very toxic. Buy a retinol palmitate supplement and see if you get the same reaction.

TeaRex14

Liver is fine, you had a hypoglycemic response from the lopsided ratio of protein to carbohydrate. And pasta might would've made the situation worse. Starch can cause an insulin surge in alot of people, only making the cortisol elevation worse.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I tend to feel bad when I eat liver without being on 5000iu vitamin D daily. Like others I believe it is a histamine/tyramine problem. But of course, try it with loads of sugar first to rule out it not being hypoglycemia.

Since you found the taste awful, try it in pâté or liverwurst. These can be delicious but have to consume more often.

BigChad

That ^. I'm starting to believe that my real problem is with histamine. Was your beef liver fresh? Liver and mushrooms are both high in histamine which can trigger a host of symptoms.

Copper and vit A could also be implicated. It might even be a combination of factors and not one isolated thing.

Copper is supposed to be a central component of the DAO enzyme. So even if liver is high histamine it seems to have things in it to help break down histamine. Im not sure. It seems every vitamin and essential mineral is involved in breaking down histamine besides b1,b3, chromium, folate, which raise or dont Impact histamine. Histamine intolerance in general, is due to thyroid trouble or nutrient deficiencies?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals