Beef liver crisps and biltong vs fresh cooked liver, raw liver, and dessicated raw liver?

Dr. B

This website carnivore aurelius sells these dried beef liver crisps, very thinly sliced.
The nose to tail website offers several beef products like beef tallow chapsticks, soaps, and also something called biltong.

I was wondering how the liver crisps and biltong compare nutritionally to freeze dried powdered liver capsules from something like ancestral supplements, and how they compare to just eating fresh raw beef liver or lightly cooked liver.

Im not sure how the carnivore aurelius liver crisps are processed, however they do advertise them as being superior to dessicated liver. but the chart is unclear because it seems theyre comparing a larger serving of crisps to dessicated liver capsules. I heard that freeze drying preserves more nutrients than cooking meats.

Dr. Peat talked about this before, and I stopped using anything but real liver. I stopped buying the capsules. They are just full of bad ingredients because the iron in the dried liver results in a reaction with the components of liver and make it a poor choice for anybody.

OP
D

Dr. B

Dr. Peat talked about this before, and I stopped using anything but real liver. I stopped buying the capsules. They are just full of bad ingredients because the iron in the dried liver results in a reaction with the components of liver and make it a poor choice for anybody.

didnt Danny discuss this with Ray later on and they confirmed that cooking also oxidizes the iron and other nutrients? wouldnt freeze drying result in less oxidation than cooking with heat?

also im unsure how the liver crisps are made but apparently biltong is air/sun dried! that seems interesting since its not freeze dried nor cooked

didnt Danny discuss this with Ray later on and they confirmed that cooking also oxidizes the iron and other nutrients? wouldnt freeze drying result in less oxidation than cooking with heat?

also im unsure how the liver crisps are made but apparently biltong is air/sun dried! that seems interesting since its not freeze dried nor cooked

I've heard Dr. Peat say these are not good (freeze dried capsules) several times....

About comparing the weights -- I was told by a few businesses selling freeze-dried organ supplements that the powder weight is equivalent to about 5x the weight of the fresh raw organ.

OP
D

Dr. B

About comparing the weights -- I was told by a few businesses selling freeze-dried organ supplements that the powder weight is equivalent to about 5x the weight of the fresh raw organ.

yes i mean if you look at the comparison chart on carnivore aurelius' website, they have a comparison chart comparing a serving of dessicated liver to their beef crisps... however there is no weight numbers on the amount of dessicated liver vs amount of beef liver crisps also there isnt much about how the liver crisps are processed. like it may be that the liver crisps are more dehydrated than the beef liver capsules or vice versa. their chart is claiming the liver crisps are more nutritious than the beef liver capsules

Ask him what the equivalent fresh weight of the crisps is.
Or...
Each bag is 1.5 oz.
You get 14 bags for $90
14 bags is 21 oz.

"Four pounds of fresh, trimmed meat will yield 1 pound of jerky, a lightweight dried meat product."
( albany.cce.cornell.edu/resources/handy-reference-for-drying-meat-jerky# )

So 21 oz of jerky = ~84 oz fresh liver

(That's assuming liver and muscle meat have the same moisture content.

Beef liver moisture content: 74%
(page 4 -
researchgate.net/profile/Zhanibek-Yessimbekov/publication/325113678_Nutritive_and_Biological_Value_of_Liver_and_Blood_of_Various_Slaughtered_Animals/links/5afb8a53aca272e7302c36e1/Nutritive-and-Biological-Value-of-Liver-and-Blood-of-Various-Slaughtered-Animals.pdf )

Google says steak has about 75%, too.)

Equivalent of 84 oz fresh for $90 is about $10/lb.

Grass-fed liver's usually about $5/lb. So if the liver costs half as much, and if a good dehydrator's about $200 (?), then you'd save as much as the dehydrator cost after making as much as about four of the 14-bag orders ($45 x 4), which would be the jerky equivalent of about (84 x 4 = 336 oz) 21 lbs of fresh liver to eat.

Last edited:

Wotan

I have purchased the beef liver crisps from Carnivore Aurelius. It is simply liver jerky. The package does include nutritional information. He claims his crisps retain higher vitamin A levels because of the dehydration process. I ended up loving them and found it a very easy way to eat liver regularly. My wife and 4yo son didnt like them however.

ScottyVP

I grew up on biltong and will sing its praises ad nauseam but I never saw any dried liver, though perhaps there are some droewors with liver included. Personally I'd just try it and see how you feel on it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom