Beef Liver Anyone

crX

I've found a guy at my farmer's market who sells locally raised beef liver, and I've been considering buying some for some time now. Thing is, I've never eaten it, aside from "liverwurst" when I was a kid. I've heard it's got a really strong taste. I don't even know what it looks like, or should look like. Anyone have any advice for buying, cooking or eating? I'm a bit afraid of it at this point :D

J

j.

cook it quickly. if it tastes bad, next time soak in milk for a few hours before cooking.

i just fry it in coconut oil for 6 minutes. that doesn't hide the taste, but i can still eat it. if you really dislike the taste, you might want to look at recipes which add some ingredients.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
soak in milk like J. said, i also soak in fresh lemon juice right before I cook. Fry up some onions first, cut the liver up into really really small chunks, really small, this seems to be the trick for me the small chunks, then fry them up pretty quick. Oh, and I fry mine in butter.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
However, I have found I dont need the milk. So I am able to skip that. The lemon, onions, small chunks and butter is where its at for me.

OP
crX

crX

Sounds so appetizing ;) Guess I'm not really going to hear how delicious it is, but I'll give it a try! Thanks for the feedback,

OP
crX

crX

I'm actually thinking that the pate might be a good way for me to go. I did like liverwurst when I was young and I think that is a kind of pate... unrecognizable as liver anyway. Thanks for the tip. :D

OP
crX

crX

Yeah, I'm slowly gettin' the hang of it. It's been pretty much a paradigm shift for me in terms of the way I eat. Seems daunting at first, but slowly trying new recipes and ways to cook. Next I'm going to figure out some way to incorporate oysters. I used to buy some that were canned in olive oil, but now all I can find are ones in cottonseed oil. I've never bought them fresh, but have had oysters on the half shell and Rockefeller style at the bar before... maybe it's worth it just to eat out, unless they prepare them with PUFA's... oh who knows. Always gets complicated, doesn't it? :geek:

Birdie

If you are able to get calves liver from him, I think you might prefer the milder flavor and better texture. No need to soak it before cooking. sauté bacon first. Drain and pat dry. Sauté onions in butter and coconut oil. Then add liver and brown it. Then add a little broth and sherry. Mixup from bottom of pan. Great sauce for liver. Add back bacon.

Mr Birdie like his with boiled potatoes. I take the liver out btw before adding the broth sherry. Cognac, white wine... A tablespoon...

OP
crX

crX

Thanks Birdie. I'm afraid my first try at it has not been a success. The beef liver was HUGE and instead of just using a small piece of it to experiment I decided to use the whole thing. I was really put off by the bloodiness of the thing, and I couldn't get it out of my thoughts all night while it soaked in a milky bloody mess in my refrigerator. I was so repulsed by the sight of it in the morning that I could barely get through the procedure of making the pate. I made a huge amount and half is in the freezer still, the other half still sitting in my frig getting ready to be thrown out. I've tried tasting it a couple of times but I just can't get it down. OH WELL. I might be exaggerating a little, but it really has been quite traumatic :( Maybe I will try again a little later with calves liver, as that sounds a little more manageable.

Nick810

Calves liver... cooked in pan... lots of butter. Afterwards use lots of sea salt. Tastes good with the salt IMO.

norxgirl

Is anybody using dessicated liver? I have had some from "argentine beef" for over a year. The dose is about 1 tsp. to 1 TBSP in 4 ounces of pineapple juice to mask the taste.

kiran

I use liver power from argentine beef too. It seems to work ok. Seems to be hard to get grassfed liver from my source these days. I don't really mind the taste that much, it's the dryness that irritates my throat.

OP
crX

crX

I just did a quick net review for dessicated liver and it seems that even the non-defatted powder is not a significant source of vitamin A, although it still retains many of the other nutrients.

I asked my farmer guy about getting calf liver and he's going to check on it for me. He suggested that I might like lamb liver, which he says has a milder flavor, but I am wary. Has anybody else had this? I might give it a try. Since they don't normally carry it, I'd hate to have them kill a calf just for me...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have heard the same thing about lamb liver, very mild. I thought I tried it but cant really remember at this time. Maybe I still have some in the freezer, will have to check.

If there is an alternative to liver found, I would be so darn happy. :lol:

OP
crX

crX

Yes, the alternative is what I REALLY want to find :) Was hoping the dessicated might work, but the Vitamin A is what I'm really trying to get.

YuraCZ

Turkey liver
100g - 72372IU vitA
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pou ... ucts/816/2

Is this possible? That amount of vitA in turkey liver.. I thought that beef liver has the most vitamin A besides polar bear(100 000 IU for 100g)

And how dangerous is overdosing of copper from beef liver? Because if I eat beef liver for 10000 iu vit A per day. It also means over 8 mg of copper per day. So I was searching for different types of liver with lower copper content. But Im not sure with this copper thing. Because my main health problems are visible capillaries(spider veins), lack of collagen in the skin etc. + hypothyroidism.. I'm not sure how much copper I should take. But I was taking vit C and zinc many years without adequate copper intake in the diet(no liver and another rich foods..) just average bodybuilding diet - lean meats + starches etc.. So I suppose I have copper deficiency .. :confused

jyb

YuraCZ said:
Turkey liver
100g - 72372IU vitA
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pou ... ucts/816/2

Is this possible? That amount of vitA in turkey liver.. I thought that beef liver has the most vitamin A besides polar bear(100 000 IU for 100g)

And how dangerous is overdosing of copper from beef liver? Because if I eat beef liver for 10000 iu vit A per day. It also means over 8 mg of copper per day. So I was searching for different types of liver with lower copper content. But Im not sure with this copper thing. Because my main health problems are visible capillaries(spider veins), lack of collagen in the skin etc. + hypothyroidism.. I'm not sure how much copper I should take. But I was taking vit C and zinc many years without adequate copper intake in the diet(no liver and another rich foods..) just average bodybuilding diet - lean meats + starches etc.. So I suppose I have copper deficiency .. :confused

Copper is hard to find. A few mg's of copper in liver I eat at once per week is enough to average 2mg per day. So, if I'm getting copper from 8mg in liver weekly then I'm still deficient. I was also surprised by the low amount of copper in chocolate the last time I check nutritiondata, I would need to drink quite a lot of it every day just to cover recommended intake.