Beef Liver Anyone

jyb

Just a random observation about copper being so rare. I find it odd that one would need to eat so much liver just to avoid copper deficiency. Clearly people around me with perfect skin don't need to, in fact most have never eaten liver.

YuraCZ

jyb said:
Just a random observation about copper being so rare. I find it odd that one would need to eat so much liver just to avoid copper deficiency. Clearly people around me with perfect skin don't need to, in fact most have never eaten liver.
Well they probably don't have hypothyroidism = ****88 up liver = problems with ceruloplasmin = problems with copper etc. etc.

mt_dreams

YuraCZ said:
Is this possible? That amount of vitA in turkey liver.. I thought that beef liver has the most vitamin A besides polar bear(100 000 IU for 100g)

Turkey, lamb & duck livers all contain more vitamin A than beef. Even calf liver has way more vit A than full grown cows. That said, if you're looking for high vit A without all the copper than chicken liver is your best bet ... assuming you don't mind an extra couple hundred mg of pufa that is in the chicken liver. So if you're low in copper, the first 4 will be good liver choices, if you're trying to limit copper, chicken is the way to go.

Also taking in huge amounts of copper may eventually lead to issues with zinc absorption, much like you did with taking in zinc supp without copper for all those years.

I don't agree that copper is all that hard to find in foods. Things like milk, oj, gelatin, dates, etc, all contain decent amounts of copper that can easily add up to the full rda recommendation for copper when you include some liver weekly.

It's great to look for potential mineral imbalances, but at the end of the day the only way to fully know if you are low in something is to get tested. It's not always how much you put into your body, rather how much you are absorbing.

YuraCZ

Like I said. I think I have problems with ceruloplasmin due to hypothyroidism and estrogen overload(steroids)= sluggish liver... Ok so I stick with Beef liver. They have nice balance vitA, copper, zinc, not too high iron content.

YuraCZ

Btw I like rabbit liver. But I can't find their micronutrient content..

jyb

YuraCZ said:
Like I said. I think I have problems with ceruloplasmin due to hypothyroidism and estrogen overload(steroids)= sluggish liver... Ok so I stick with Beef liver. They have nice balance vitA, copper, zinc, not too high iron content.

The iron in liver is high. It's one of the only few non-fortified foods that is so high in iron (along with clams and oysters). In my own experience, weekly liver is barely enough to keep body iron stable, so nothing special for a weekly food.

Peat's_Girl

What I make is Jerusalem Mix! It's got a lot of spices like coriander, cumin and turmeric.
Traditionally made with olive oil and eaten in a pita, but if you're not keeping kosher you could use butter. Or hey, use coconut oil! ;D

I never heard of soaking it in milk. I'll try it.

Oh and it's usually made with chicken hearts, livers and chicken breast. Hearts are quite chewy and tasty and are surprisingly rich in protein.

Peat's_Girl

Oops, totally ignored the shifting discussion on liver and copper. I have no idea personally. I thought beef liver was the best source of iron and A and is low on PUFAs and that's why it should be eaten weekly.
If I could I'd be eating chicken liver.

All we have available is veal liver here and it's still gross and musky and has a weird ammonia taste to me...
So................ Yeah. I have nothing useful to say as usual.

YuraCZ

mt_dreams said:
Even calf liver has way more vit A than full grown cows.
Heh now I realise. I make calf liver. No beef LOL.. Because I think it may have less garbage in them or something like that..

Calf liver 100g - 39000iu vitA
Beef liver 100g- 16900 iu vitA

So I take 20000iu of vitA every day and not 10000 iu like I thought. :doh
Who would have thought that there is a such a difference between calf and beef liver vitA content wow.. That's maybe why my hypothyroid symptoms got worse. Too much vitA and suppression of thyroid. Is that possible?

schultz

YuraCZ said:
mt_dreams said:
Even calf liver has way more vit A than full grown cows.
Heh now I realise. I make calf liver. No beef LOL.. Because I think it may have less garbage in them or something like that..

Calf liver 100g - 39000iu vitA
Beef liver 100g- 16900 iu vitA

So I take 20000iu of vitA every day and not 10000 iu like I thought. :doh
Who would have thought that there is a such a difference between calf and beef liver vitA content wow.. That's maybe why my hypothyroid symptoms got worse. Too much vitA and suppression of thyroid. Is that possible?

This study suggests it's actually the reverse. They say calves liver has less vitamin A.

YuraCZ

Interesting.. So basically we don't have absolutely no idea how much vitA we consume from the liver. 200-300g a week and hope that I have optimal vitA intake.. I assume that the content of copper, iron, zinc, etc. will be exactly the same "I have no idea how much there is.."

YuraCZ

vitA is ready. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 471

Nick W.

RPF,
I have a beef liver in the freezer, cruelly taunting me over my inability to cook. Danny Roddy's liver recipe video makes it look simple enough, so that's my plan:

How do you store left overs? According to StillTasty (link below), "Cooked beef liver will usually stay good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer." Does anyone else freeze their liver AFTER cooking, to make it last?
How Long Does Raw Beef Liver Last in the Fridge or Freezer?

tara

How do you store left overs? According to StillTasty (link below), "Cooked beef liver will usually stay good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer." Does anyone else freeze their liver AFTER cooking, to make it last?
Only time I freeze cooked liver is if I make liver pate, and then it works really well to freeze slices/day-sized portions.

Otherwise I slice or chop the fresh liver before freezing so I can just take out enough to cook for one small serving at a time.

lampofred

Just a warning that beef liver seemed to have caused a temporary shedding of hair for me. I honestly thought I was done fighting hair loss for good since I hadn't lost any hair for several months, but I had beef liver for the first time last week (instead of chicken liver), and I guess it was the extremely high copper content, I lost hair for a few days after eating it, and my skin looked like garbage. I took a lot of vitamin C to get rid of the copper, and things seem to be back to normal now, but I'm never eating beef liver again.

Nick W.

Only time I freeze cooked liver is if I make liver pate, and then it works really well to freeze slices/day-sized portions.

Otherwise I slice or chop the fresh liver before freezing so I can just take out enough to cook for one small serving at a time.

Sounds better than trying to do the whole thing at once. I was anxious to try, until:

Just a warning that beef liver seemed to have caused a temporary shedding of hair for me. I honestly thought I was done fighting hair loss for good since I hadn't lost any hair for several months, but I had beef liver for the first time last week (instead of chicken liver), and I guess it was the extremely high copper content, I lost hair for a few days after eating it, and my skin looked like garbage. I took a lot of vitamin C to get rid of the copper, and things seem to be back to normal now, but I'm never eating beef liver again.

:eek: You're freaking me out, lamp! Did you eat it with coffee/gelatin, as is often recommended?

lampofred

Sounds better than trying to do the whole thing at once. I was anxious to try, until:

:eek: You're freaking me out, lamp! Did you eat it with coffee/gelatin, as is often recommended?

I normally never eat meat with gelatin (including chicken liver), and I never have any problems. I did eat it with lots of coffee. I only ate 4 oz at night, and then 2 oz next morning, so I don't think it was due to too much meat in one sitting causing a stress response. The only difference between chicken liver (which I have no problems with) and beef liver is the extremely high copper content in beef liver, and zinc supplements played a part in me curing my hair loss several months ago, so my guess is that it was the very high amount of copper that caused it. Apparently copper is what gives hair it's color, but I'd rather have gray hair than receding hair...

Thankfully the hair loss stopped but there is definitely a difference in my hair between now and the day before I ate the liver (thinner at crown, hair line is no longer completely square). Admittedly it could've been something else, but I'm still not going to risk eating beef liver again. I'll just eat chicken liver with boat loads of coffee to minimize iron absorption so that I get my vitamin A.

Nick W.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for thinning and give you a report when I get around to cooking it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals