Beat Covid-19.Povidone Iodine

Jam

Diluted Lugol's is much cheaper and has no questionable/toxic fillers.

If you don't like sticking things up your nose, using an atomizer nozzle to make a spray is probably a good alternative too.

Jam

whats with the "povidone" part - is it likely to unimportant?
The polymer povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone) binds to triiodide forming the PVP-I iodophor. It makes the iodine more stable and less caustic as the I3− is slowly released in solution. It is better suited for external disinfection of wounds and such as free I2 can drastically slow down tissue healing. But for any other use I personally prefer straight unadultered Lugol's, diluted as required. It is much more effective as an antimicrobial. It just needs to be treated with respect. For example, anything greater than a 1% concentration of Lugol's is caustic to mucosa...

Peater Piper

Lugol's, diluted as required. It is much more effective as an antimicrobial.
Chris Masterjohn argues the opposite.

"In the original patent, it was observed that Lugol's was only effective against S. aureus when diluted down to 4%, while povidone-iodine was effective down to 0.33%. Because povidone binds iodine, it also leads to a lower proportion of the iodine entering the circulation."

Jam

"In the original patent, it was observed that Lugol's was only effective against S. aureus when diluted down to 4%, while povidone-iodine was effective down to 0.33%. Because povidone binds iodine, it also leads to a lower proportion of the iodine entering the circulation."
Ridiculous.

Peater Piper

Ridiculous.

Interesting, though efficacy was falling at .05%, whereas PVP-I was efficacious down to .001% by the 1 minute mark, which was also the time used for the study you linked.

Blue Water

is a little iodine really bad for you? Why does he want to prevent it from entering circulation? I've been adding several drops of Lugol's into water and breathing it in or using netti pot. I am sure a decent amount is getting absorbed.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I use 2 drops of Lugol's iodine in my waterpik every night and don't get sick. I've been around multiple people who were sick and coughing on me.

Thedumbass

Peater Piper

is a little iodine really bad for you? Why does he want to prevent it from entering circulation? I've been adding several drops of Lugol's into water and breathing it in or using netti pot. I am sure a decent amount is getting absorbed.
I'm not the right person to ask about iodine because I've seen good arguments both for and against the dangers of supplementing it (and the benefits of selenium to be used along with it). A couple of drops of Lugol's in a neti pot is almost nothing imo, you'll absorb maybe 1-5% of the solution? That's 10-50 mcg of iodine/iodide, less than in a cup of milk. I make a 0.1% povidone-iodine nasal spray that I use every few days, I've been doing so for over a year and haven't noticed any adverse effects. I haven't measured TSH for a while, but temperature and weight are stable. A very good argument for Lugol's over povidone-iodine is no excipients.

S.Seneff

we tested the effects of intranasal and oropharyngeal delivery of a compound of povidone-iodine 0.5% and glycyrrhizic acid 2.5 mg/ml
There was a notable reduction in transmission of the virus among the household close contacts in the treatment group (4%) vs. 76% in the placebo group. Combined PVI-GA nasal and oropharyngeal spray accelerates both laboratory and clinical recovery of SARS-CoV-2 infected patients in the early phases of the disease and reduces the household spread of the virus; thus, it may play an important role in controlling coronavirus outbreaks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals