Be Really Careful With Copper/zinc Ratio If Your Diet Isn't Super PUFA-free

Wagner83

Did you join the minerals crew after all? Why did you change your mind if I may ask?

OP
AretnaP

AretnaP

Did you join the minerals crew after all? Why did you change your mind if I may ask?
Never really changed my mind, always believed this. I agree with MOST of this site (PUFA is toxic, serotonin is inflammatory, sugar is good, etc) but I believe that too much focus has been placed on copper when it definitely seems to be one of the metals that, in excess, can peroxidize unsaturated fats.

Nitric oxide can also be inhibited with zinc, so there's something else.

Wagner83

Ok thanks. Quite a few people reported androgenic increase from zinc. Of course they are only part of the equation.

paymanz

From what i read in articles, we need around 1-2 mg copper and 10-20mg zinc.

However there is studies showing as little as 0.5mg copper(from chocolate) is enough to maintain normal levels.

Higher zinc intake suppresses copper levels.

I think even 15mg zinc is enough unless you exercise alot, ray also recommend that dosage.

Vinero

From what i read in articles, we need around 1-2 mg copper and 10-20mg zinc.

However there is studies showing as little as 0.5mg copper(from chocolate) is enough to maintain normal levels.

Higher zinc intake suppresses copper levels.

I think even 15mg zinc is enough unless you exercise alot, ray also recommend that dosage.
I eat a bar (100 gram) of dark chocolate (54%) cocoa content daily which contains 1 mg of copper.
Zinc however is more difficult, I don't have easy access to oysters.
Beef is the second highest source of zinc isn't it?
100 gram of lean beef contains about 5 mg of zinc.
So 300 gram of lean beef gives you the recommended amount 15 mg of zinc.
But that comes with 7 mg iron. I don't know if that is too much according to Ray Peat?
The RDA for iron is 8 mg for men, so if RDA standards are correct then 300 gram of beef daily isn't too much iron.

paymanz

I eat a bar (100 gram) of dark chocolate (54%) cocoa content daily which contains 1 mg of copper.
Zinc however is more difficult, I don't have easy access to oysters.
Beef is the second highest source of zinc isn't it?
100 gram of lean beef contains about 5 mg of zinc.
So 300 gram of lean beef gives you the recommended amount 15 mg of zinc.
But that comes with 7 mg iron. I don't know if that is too much according to Ray Peat?
The RDA for iron is 8 mg for men, so if RDA standards are correct then 300 gram of beef daily isn't too much iron.
You just need some coffee and calcium with red meat to prevent excess iron absorption.

That chocolate also does the trick also,if you have it around meal time.especially as it contains some manganese/copper too.

Tea also blocks iron,as you know it.

Dairy also has some zinc i think.

fradon

oxides are usally controlled by SOD super oxide dismutase which needs both copper and zinc and manganese. when SOD fails then catalase can kick but that also needs copper to activate the iron. What seems to cause most health issues is deregulated copper and unbound copper that creates free radicals. There is more to the story than the obvious. Even with serotonin though in one path it is involved in stress and inflamation in another path it is involved in the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system and is needed for creation of sex hormones. most of the body's serotonin is located in the small intestine which helps with the passage of food. the problem with serotonin in the gut comes mainly from leaky gut as it allows more sertonin in the blood and body increasing chronic inflmamation.