BCAA's causing a headache?

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know why this would happen? I only take about 2.5 grams at a time, 3x a day? I will say that my temps have come up a bit and my mood is a bit better. But I wonder if I'm overdoing the BCAA's?

haidut

Forum Supporter
JRMoney15 said:
Does anyone know why this would happen? I only take about 2.5 grams at a time, 3x a day? I will say that my temps have come up a bit and my mood is a bit better. But I wonder if I'm overdoing the BCAA's?

Happened to me as well when I was taking them w/ tyrosine, so I attributed it to the tyrosine. The drug pCPA has reports of causing very similar issues so it's probably related to serotonin. My temperatures also climb up when taking BCAA. Try taking BCAA with protein or phenylalanine instead. Either option resolved the headache issue for me.

OP
A

Anonymous

haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

Happened to me as well when I was taking them w/ tyrosine, so I attributed it to the tyrosine. The drug pCPA has reports of causing very similar issues so it's probably related to serotonin. My temperatures also climb up when taking BCAA. Try taking BCAA with protein or phenylalanine instead. Either option resolved the headache issue for me.

Okay. I tried about 4 grams of bcaa with a 25 gram protein meal and got a significant drop in mood and racing heart/adrenaline. Maybe I'll take a break from it. The bag says 1500 mg per serving is recommended.

haidut

Forum Supporter
JRMoney15 said:
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

Okay. I tried about 4 grams of bcaa with a 25 gram protein meal and got a significant drop in mood and racing heart/adrenaline. Maybe I'll take a break from it. The bag says 1500 mg per serving is recommended.

It's probably not the adrenalin, unless you are lacking sugar. If temp is also increased then you got a metabolic boost. With higher metabolism comes increased requirement for calories. I get the same effect when I take BCAA and protein without enough sugar. How much sugar for the 30g of protein you ingested?

OP
A

Anonymous

haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

It's probably not the adrenalin, unless you are lacking sugar. If temp is also increased then you got a metabolic boost. With higher metabolism comes increased requirement for calories. I get the same effect when I take BCAA and protein without enough sugar. How much sugar for the 30g of protein you ingested?

Yea, now that I think about it, I certainly did not take enough sugar. Thank you haidut :)

I don't know how people do these low carb diets.

OP
A

Anonymous

haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

Also, do you think tyrosine or phenylenaline is better for mitigating the drop in dopamine levels?

haidut

Forum Supporter
JRMoney15 said:
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:
haidut said:
JRMoney15 said:

Also, do you think tyrosine or phenylenaline is better for mitigating the drop in dopamine levels?

The studies are mixed and most have tested the effects of isolated tyrosine or phenylalanine intake on dopamine and serotonin. Isolated supplementation shows tyrosine does not affect dopamine and may reduce serotonin. Phenylalanine lowers both dopamine and serotonin. The only combined study I know of, and have posted on the forum, is a rodent study showing a combined intake of about 3,500mg BCAA + 1,500 tyrosine prevented decline of dopamine induced when BCAA was given alone. However, it did not raise dopamine further.