BCAA protect against heart attack damage

haidut

Forum Supporter
The proposed mechanism is inhibition of Ca+ channels. Other substances that do the same are magnesium, cyproheptadine, taurine, etc. Not surprisingly, all of them have shown benefit in reducing CVD incidence and damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10442223

Vinero

BCAA are awesome, they are very underrated IMO. BCAA is far more effective for me in decreasing stress and improving mood then gelatin, the other tryptophan deficient protein. Ray said about gelatin that simply it's lack of tryptophan makes it anti-stress. Well BCAA doesn't contain any either and also is very easy digestible in contrast to gelatin which makes my intestine always uncomfortable.

5magicbeans

I'm interested in trying BCAA. Although my issues seem to be more estrogen related than serotonin. Is there any information showing a benefit for lowering estrogen? I know estrogen/serotonin can affect each other. I've read a few posts here claiming increased libido.... I definitely don't need that.
Any brand recommendations?
thanks!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
5magicbeans said:
I'm interested in trying BCAA. Although my issues seem to be more estrogen related than serotonin. Is there any information showing a benefit for lowering estrogen? I know estrogen/serotonin can affect each other. I've read a few posts here claiming increased libido.... I definitely don't need that.
Any brand recommendations?
thanks!

No information on estrogen, but search this forum for "Ajinomoto".

Vinero

Well BCAA probably don't directly reduce estrogen, unless you are not eating a lot of protein so your liver cant remove estrogen from your body.
But the effects on serotonin and cortisol probably indirectly reduce estrogen because all stress hormones are connected and increase each other.

5magicbeans

Thanks Haidut. I looked into the "Ajinomoto" and am finding that it either uses soy or is made from soy. I am not familiar with the manufacturing process for this but could that be an issue?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
5magicbeans said:
Thanks Haidut. I looked into the "Ajinomoto" and am finding that it either uses soy or is made from soy. I am not familiar with the manufacturing process for this but could that be an issue?

The other BCAA I know of are made from human and animal hair. I am using a product by VitaminShoppe that claims to contain only gelatin as excipient so you can try that. As long as no soy protein makes it into the final BCAA then Ajinomoto should be fine. Both the VitaminShoppe product and Ajinomoto's BCAA have fairly high density, so you get a lot more BCAA with fewer capsules. Another company I have heard good things about is NutraBio:
http://www.nutrabio.com/category/bcaa/

Obviously, you have to research on your own and decide which product you are mos comfortable with.