Bananas May Increase Blood Level Of Dopamine!

paymanz

Hyperkalemia and hyperdopaminemia induced by an obsessive eating of banana in an anorexia nervosa adolescent. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
Banana is known as a dopamine-rich and potassium-rich food, however no previous data regarding biochemical or psychological alteration induced by excess intake of banana has been reported. We have experienced an adolescent female case of Anorexia nervosa (AN) who denied eating anything but maximum 20 bananas and less than 500 ml mineral water per day for more than two years. During the period of massive banana eating habit, she showed increase of serum potassium (from 4.7 mEq/l to 6.1 mEq/l) and whole blood dopamine (from 11 ng/ml to 210 ng/ml; normal range 0.5-6.2 ng/ml), and obvious dysthymia that is inexplicable only by the pathology of AN. When the patient resumed other food ingestion after 26 months of obsessive and restricted eating of banana, the abnormalities in her blood data and her psychological state were all corrected toward normal. We conclude that in this case, the obsessive and restricted habit of banana ingestion resulted in hyperkalemia, hyperdopaminemia, and psychological change.

Last edited:
Lol does it cross BBB? Might explain the banana couple’s mood in their vlogs :ss

InChristAlone

I thought dopamine was more the happy hormone? I eat at least 1 banana a day. I notice heart symptoms if I don't get enough potassium and so bananas work well for me as I don't drink milk or eat many vegetables.

shepherdgirl

@Such_Saturation
does any of the dopamine made in the brain get released into the body? could a higher level of dopamine in the body (from bananas for ex) conserve brain dopamine?

@Such_Saturation
does any of the dopamine made in the brain get released into the body? could a higher level of dopamine in the body (from bananas for ex) conserve brain dopamine?
I don't know, maybe... but I think stuff that can't go one way, also can't go the other way. And maybe dopamine can make you feel good even if it's outside the brain. Also, banana peel probably has dopamine precursors too, which can probably enter the brain.

Ron J

I don't know, maybe... but I think stuff that can't go one way, also can't go the other way. And maybe dopamine can make you feel good even if it's outside the brain. Also, banana peel probably has dopamine precursors too, which can probably enter the brain.
I thought only the peel has the dopamine and the flesh has serotonin.
@paymanz do you know the content of both(flesh only)?

shepherdgirl

And maybe dopamine can make you feel good even if it's outside the brain. Also, banana peel probably has dopamine precursors too, which can probably enter the brain.
Ya, they must do something! Because I never heard about people getting addicted to mucuna pruriens, lol.
So are bananas and/or their peels worth the serotonin/starch/chitin issues? I wonder if eating a lot of dopamine would somehow alter dopamine receptors.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals