Bamboo Shoots

I bought some and want to try bamboo shoots. They are from a can but for now I’m okay with that. I boiled them for 10 minutes. They are pretty tender. How many do I eat? They are sliced. One old post said one cup. That seems like a huge amount.

Anyone using bamboo shoots successfully? I’m still using mushrooms every day. I may just up the mushrooms but after hearing Dr. Peat on Jodelle’s YouTube video talking about the benefits of fiber even oat or wheat bran temporarily I decided to give the shoots a try.

Dave Clark

I bought some and want to try bamboo shoots. They are from a can but for now I’m okay with that. I boiled them for 10 minutes. They are pretty tender. How many do I eat? They are sliced. One old post said one cup. That seems like a huge amount.

Anyone using bamboo shoots successfully? I’m still using mushrooms every day. I may just up the mushrooms but after hearing Dr. Peat on Jodelle’s YouTube video talking about the benefits of fiber even oat or wheat bran temporarily I decided to give the shoots a try.
Sometimes Ray says different things, I just heard him on a podcast say wheat bran was better than oat bran, not sure what to think, maybe he thinks both are okay, but he recommended wheat bran over oat.

Sometimes Ray says different things, I just heard him on a podcast say wheat bran was better than oat bran, not sure what to think, maybe he thinks both are okay, but he recommended wheat bran over oat.
He recommended as a temporary measure, in order to help clean a lot of bacterial stuff out of the gut. Not as a permanent or long-term measure. He said oat bran can break down into bad stuff and wheat bran is better. It should be well cooked.

Anyway, I was asking about bamboo shoots but thank you for your post anyway.

nwo2012

The ones you get in the can in Coles or Woolies are fine.
Empty about 10 cans into a slow cooker. Pour out the canned water and wash several times under running tepid tap water.
Then fill with distilled water or RO (at least, dont consume Oz fluoride BS).
Add 4 tbsp salt.
Leave on high for up to 10 hours, refilling water as necessary.
Drain and put into a large bowl, keep in fridge once cooled.
Every day scoop out a serving, add a little butter and coconut oil and fry.
Eat 30 mins before lunch. Dont chew too much, we are not trying to digest these.
I doubt we are absorbing much if any anti-nutrients and the bowel cleaning will outweigh those anyhow.

nwo2012

1/2 cup 30 mins before lunch is fine.
And keep lunch to something easily digestible, so as not to encourage digestion of any remaining shoots in the stomach. Perhaps bone-broth and OJ. Glass milk (whichever form you tolerate).
Been using for 8 months now after getting orange calluses from carrots.
Works well, skin contact dermatitis always improves on either carrots or shoots.

Last edited:
So @nwo2012, you feel keeping the shoots more or less whole and just chewing is better than grinding the shoots?

I do grind the mushrooms pretty fine. Maybe I'll grind the mushrooms first, then rinse and add the shoots and ground mushrooms to the pressure cooker and cook that way, with the shoots as they come out of the can. Then I'll chew them while eating...

Thoughts?

nwo2012

So @nwo2012, you feel keeping the shoots more or less whole and just chewing is better than grinding the shoots?

I do grind the mushrooms pretty fine. Maybe I'll grind the mushrooms first, then rinse and add the shoots and ground mushrooms to the pressure cooker and cook that way, with the shoots as they come out of the can. Then I'll chew them while eating...

Thoughts?

Yes I believe in there being less digestion that way. Almost imagining them to be like pipe-cleaners.
Sounds like a plan, should work. Let me know how it goes.

emarie

Would it defeat its purpose if I add a little honey to boiled bamboo shoots?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals