Bamboo shoots. Do they need to be raw like carrots?

Peato Diet

Ray says carrots are good for the digestive track but that they need to be eaten raw.

Does the same go for bamboo shoots or can they be cooked?

Last edited:
P

Peatness

Ray says carrots are good for the digestive track but that they need to be eaten raw.

Does the same go for bamboo shoots or can they be cooked?
Cooked

“It takes a few days for the intestine to adjust to raw carrot, but the indigestible fiber is very protective for the intestine. Boiled bamboo shoots, which are also mostly indigestible, have a similar effect” RP

scrubolio

yes boiled, surprisingly they have a distinct aroma once well cooked similar to mushrooms. very tasty when cooked with oxtail

yes boiled, surprisingly they have a distinct aroma once well cooked similar to mushrooms. very tasty when cooked with oxtail
I have been wondering how to eat bamboo shoots and your oxtail idea sounds great! Can you give me a few more details about spices and such? Is it a soup?

scrubolio

I have been wondering how to eat bamboo shoots and your oxtail idea sounds great! Can you give me a few more details about spices and such? Is it a soup?
yep it’s soup! i blanch the oxtails in boiling water to get rid of the blood and other random things that can cloud the broth. then boil then with cut up bamboo shoots or mushrooms for 3-4 hours. i really only add salt to it and i think it’s great. the bamboo and/or mushrooms really add a lot of flavor, not to mention the oxtail as well. if your oxtails don’t have the skin on then you can add some gelatin powder.

after boiled for 3-4 hours i scrape off oil or refrigerate then scrape off the oil and eat for the next 3-4 days.

as far as spices, most asian or chinese shops have a beef spice packet or pouch that you can just throw in the mix and it’s great. the spices in this recipe seem ideal: Chinese Spiced Braised Beef Shank

yep it’s soup! i blanch the oxtails in boiling water to get rid of the blood and other random things that can cloud the broth. then boil then with cut up bamboo shoots or mushrooms for 3-4 hours. i really only add salt to it and i think it’s great. the bamboo and/or mushrooms really add a lot of flavor, not to mention the oxtail as well. if your oxtails don’t have the skin on then you can add some gelatin powder.

after boiled for 3-4 hours i scrape off oil or refrigerate then scrape off the oil and eat for the next 3-4 days.

as far as spices, most asian or chinese shops have a beef spice packet or pouch that you can just throw in the mix and it’s great. the spices in this recipe seem ideal: Chinese Spiced Braised Beef Shank
I make oxtails all the time. I soak mine in cold water for several hours, replacing the water till it is clear, before cooking them. Like you I don't a cloudy soup. I like makinh Asian clear broth soups, like pho or I like my Chinese-5 Spice version even better. The oxtails are really good broiled to crackle up the fat before serving it in a soup. I like your addition of bamboo shoots. I never know what to do with them. I have ordered them in Thai restaurants, but never liked them. I am definetly gonna have to try it in the oxtails!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals