Bamboo Extract? Friend? Foe?

I have a big bag of bamboo extract powder (like this; Amazon product ASIN B07CXK6M1GView: https://www.amazon.com/Powerfully-Supports-Minerals-Essential-Friendly/dp/B07CXK6M1G
).

I stopped taking a lot of things, and now I am adding them back in. I am interested in Bamboo extract for hair/skin benefits. One reason Bamboo shoots are thought to be good for hair is the naturally occurring silica in them.

So:

I know Ray and Peatarians seem to love Bamboo Shoots.

They also seem to dislike Silica as an additive to supplements.

But the Silica disliked by Peat is the unnatural Silica Dioxide mined from quartz, and the studies referenced are about dangers of INHALING the nano-particles of unnatural silica dioxide that is used as an additive.. (Silica In Supplements: What Is It And Why Is It Bad?)

It doesn't seem like the same fears would extend to naturally occurring silica in something like bamboo extract...But I'm curious what people here think. What are you thoughts on Bamboo Extract? Bad because of silica content? Good because, bamboos? Thanks.

Luann

My understanding is that organic silica in foods or extracts is healthy and necessary, unlike silica dioxide, and that humans generally don't get enough. I like to eat bamboo shoots and to drink IPA's once in a while because these have bioavailable silica. Hope someone else has a more scientific answer though.

My understanding is that organic silica in foods or extracts is healthy and necessary, unlike silica dioxide, and that humans generally don't get enough. I like to eat bamboo shoots and to drink IPA's once in a while because these have bioavailable silica. Hope someone else has a more scientific answer though.
I bought a bag of bamboo powder, after reading great things about it, but ended up throwing it away hearing that Ray Peat says the fine ground particles can leach into the blood stream.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-113035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-113035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 28
OP
wealthofwisdom
I bought a bag of bamboo powder, after reading great things about it, but ended up throwing it away hearing that Ray Peat says the fine ground particles can leach into the blood stream.
I was reading some of the same things, but I think he was talking specifically about silicon dioxide, made from fine ground quartz (a rock). It would make sense that that type of silicon would be bad to inhale.

But it seems like organic silica from a plant would be a completely different substance. That's one reason I'm bringing it up, since they both have the name "silica", and I want to clarify if the caution extends to ALL silica, or just the silicon dioxide from ground up quartz that is an additive used in many supplements.

To me it seems like they are wildly different, but unfortunately have the same name. Would love to hear more opinions from others.

OP
wealthofwisdom
It makes sense that finely ground quartz would end up as "glass like molecules"... I really don't see how organic plants with silica would do anything similar. Just from a common sense logical reasoning standpoint. But maybe I'm missing something.

OP
wealthofwisdom

Not that Livestrong is a great source, but it seems like the thing to avoid would be the "crystalline" silica. Still not sure though...

What Is Silica?​

According to the European Association of Industrial Silica Products, this trace mineral exists in nine different forms, including quartz and cristobalite. Crystalline silica is used in various industries, from glass and construction to agriculture. When inhaled, it may lead to respiratory disorders, lung cancer, kidney disease and other ailments.

Dietary supplements contain other forms of silica that are generally safe and unlikely to cause side effects, according to a review published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism in January 2013. Silicon dioxide and ortho-silicic acid, for example, occur naturally in whole grains, fruits and veggies. Meat, dairy and other animal products are lower in silicon dioxide than plant-based foods. Beer and mineral waters contain this compound, too.

OP
wealthofwisdom
The powder they talk about is super fine however. The bamboo extract powder I have is pretty coarse. Doesn't seem to have any "nano particles" due to its coarseness. (Just sharing my thoughts as I think this through )

OP
wealthofwisdom
... Ok, after re-inspecting my bamboo extract powder, it is actually finer than I remember. So nanoparticles may indeed be a concern...still not clear on this though. Especially if the "glass like molecules" would e a concern from something like bamboo powder, or just from quartz-based silicon dioxide. Google isn't being very helpful.

Kram

Not totally sure on this either but given silica is important for bone and skin health, I'm guessing there are benefits to the right kind of silica. This is supposed to be a high quality silica product.

I was reading some of the same things, but I think he was talking specifically about silicon dioxide, made from fine ground quartz (a rock). It would make sense that that type of silicon would be bad to inhale.

But it seems like organic silica from a plant would be a completely different substance. That's one reason I'm bringing it up, since they both have the name "silica", and I want to clarify if the caution extends to ALL silica, or just the silicon dioxide from ground up quartz that is an additive used in many supplements.

To me it seems like they are wildly different, but unfortunately have the same name. Would love to hear more opinions from others.
I know I read a lot of great stuff about bamboo outside of Ray Peat's recommendation of them. I hate the taste of those canned ones, not to mention the toxins from the can.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Not totally sure on this either but given silica is important for bone and skin health, I'm guessing there are benefits to the right kind of silica. This is supposed to be a high quality silica product.

Yeah, liquid is probably the safest bet, since all of the cautionary studies around silica are about the dangers of INHALING silicon dioxide (crystalline form from quartz rock, I presume). But just in case might be best to avoid the fine powders. That's what the chemists on reddit said too (although they were talking about superfine face powder, which is much finer than bamboo extract supplement). I'm 50-50 on this, but since Ray recommends actual bamboo shoots, he can't be against the mere existence of silica in something. Imo it's got to be about the nanoparticles, and just in case might be best to stick to a liquid form of bamboo or silica.

Luann

I hope you are doing well @wealthofwisdom. I started taking orgono brand MMST silica a couple days ago. no big changes yet but it is supposed to be safe and effective. available on amazon :)

Jstar

A minuscule amount of silica can gotten from taking diatomaceous earth, and as many of you know this is part of Morley Robbins’ protocol. I think the main reason people take DE, however, is because it kills parasites and has some cleansing properties. Diatoms, which are very high in silica, are the shells of ancient sea creatures; they don’t dissolve in water or any acid but can be dissolved in high alkaline liquid if kept at a high temperature for a few hours. So, I dissolve these diatoms in high temp calcium hydroxide water for a few hours and create a liquidy paste. Then I take a half teaspoon every now and then. Not sure if this is anti-Peaty or not.