Baking Soda

G

gummybear

Do any of you here use baking soda in your diet? How do you use it? I have never used it...though I bought some last month of it. Does Ray recommend it in the diet?

cliff

Re: Baking powder

baking soda?

narouz

gummybear said:
Do any of you here use baking powder in your diet? How do you use it? I have never used it...though I bought some last month of it. Does Ray recommend it in the diet?

gummybear--
There's such a thing as being too "single man diet" oriented. :p
As Cliff notes,
it is baking SODA
you want to explore as a possible Peat food. :D

pete

Ray mentioned taking baking soda in a glass of water.

Kemby

I tend to use Baking soda instead of salt - Its all about the sodium at the end of the day.

Bicarbonate of soda reacts with stomach acid to produce CO2 and water.

Im not sure what the reaction is with salt, maybe someone could explain.

I am also assuming that baking soda is a reasonable way to get the sodium you require as an alternative to more salt.

OP
G

gummybear

cliff said:
baking soda?

Yes baking soda lol. We call it bakpulver here and the instant translation to english is baking powder.

OP
G

gummybear

MartinBrown said:
I tend to use Baking soda instead of salt - Its all about the sodium at the end of the day.

Bicarbonate of soda reacts with stomach acid to produce CO2 and water.

Im not sure what the reaction is with salt, maybe someone could explain.

I am also assuming that baking soda is a reasonable way to get the sodium you require as an alternative to more salt.

Ok so Pete is suggestion it with water.

You just sprinkle the baking soda like...salt then? How is the taste?

gabriel79

Martin,
Just bear in mind that the baking soda robs your stomach of hydrochloric acid and that may impair your digestion. So, not recommened to use around protein meals.
Regarding salt, when you use baking sode you´re exactly getting that: NaCl (salt), after it reacts with the acid in your stomach.
The salt doesn´t react in your stomach, only that the ions Na and Cl dissolve in the water.

BR
Gabriel

OP
G

gummybear

gabriel79 said:
Martin,
Just bear in mind that the baking soda robs your stomach of hydrochloric acid and that may impair your digestion. So, not recommened to use around protein meals.
Regarding salt, when you use baking sode you´re exactly getting that: NaCl (salt), after it reacts with the acid in your stomach.
The salt doesn´t react in your stomach, only that the ions Na and Cl dissolve in the water.

BR
Gabriel

Some great info here gabriel...

Strange that Ray haven't said anything about this.

pete

Protective CO2 and aging
Protective CO2 and aging

An adequate supply of calcium, and sometimes supplementation of salt and baking soda, can increase the tissue content of CO2.

gabriel79

I wouldn´t use it around meals, but otherwise it is OK (eg a teaspoon on an empty stomach). In the end it´s all a matter of how much you´re using. E.g. I may use a bit (a teaspoon) of baking soda in the meal preparation, depending on the meal because you don´t get much of it when you eat the food. And for some foods you don´t get any because it already reacted with the food.
Probably Peat hasn´t talked about it because he didn´t see reason to make the point. When he talks about baking soda he usually means using it to prepare the food. E.g. you can use a teaspoon of BS in the water when boiling potates, it helps to soften them. I use it also to reduce the acid in tomato sauce. The point is you get very little of it or none when you eat the food. He talks of cases of direct BS administration to stop some symptom, but that´s more like an isolated use. You can use it also before exercise to reduce lactic acid from the increased CO2.
Now, drinking a litre of milk and a tablespoon of BS after that is a completely different story.

gabriel79

And replacing salt (NaCl) with baking soda would be highly inefficient. Salt is a lot cheaper than BS because you use salt and other chemicals to manufacture BS. When the BS reacts with your stomach acid you get back NaCl + CO2 (most of which you end up burping anyway).
If you use BS it´s for the CO2, not the salt.

cliff

I've asked ray about using baking soda with food and he seems to think it fine, he said "It slows digestion down for a few minutes."

I haven't had any problems drinking maybe half a tablespoon with milk, I also mix it with Oj which yields sodium carbonate after it reacts with the acids. It's a good way to get sodium with orange juice if you don't like the taste of OJ and salt.

narouz

from Baking Soda and Baking Powder: What's the Difference?
How Do Baking Soda and Baking Powder Work?

So, how do baking soda and baking powder actually work? Basically, baking soda is an alkaline, and when you mix in something acidic, like vinegar, it will release gas. The key here is that baking soda needs some sort of acid to activate the reaction. So it will work in recipes that include acidic ingredients like buttermilk, sour cream, lemon juice, yogurt and so on. Molasses is also acidic, and so, believe it or not, is honey. So any of these ingredients would activate the baking soda. But if you were to try to substitute baking soda for baking powder in a recipe where no acidic ingredient is present, there will be no release of gas and the dough won't rise.

Baking powder, on the other hand, is nothing more than baking soda with some sort of acidic compound (different brands of baking powder use different compounds) already included. The baking soda and the acidic compound won't react together until they are moistened, which causes the two chemicals to mix. So-called "double-acting" baking powder is also activated by the heat of the oven or griddle, and thus has greater leavening powers.

Using Baking Powder Instead of Baking Soda
So now let's say you were to use baking powder instead of baking soda. This should create some leavening, because a recipe that calls for baking soda should already include some sort of acidic ingredient as described above. But here's where the problem lies: Baking powder is about one-third baking soda, and about two thirds other ingredients. So while you will indeed get some rise, you won't get enough, because you would essentially only be using one-third the amount of baking soda as the recipe actually requires.

If you were determined to do this, you could triple the amount of baking powder, but because of the additional ingredients in the baking powder, you'd probably notice a bitter flavor. There's also a chance that because of the extra acids in the recipe, the batter would quickly rise and then fall before the bubbles had a chance to bake in. Either way, the results are not good.

Amazoniac

pH stability and activity curves of pepsin with special reference to their clinical importance

"The effect of pH on pepsin perhaps attains its greatest practical application in antacid therapy. The latter forms the basis of the medical treatment of peptic ulcer and various antacids vary in the extent to which they may potentially raise the pH of gastric juice. This varies from a maximum of pH 4 attained by aluminium hydroxide gel to a maximum of pH 8.5 that may be produced by sodium bicarbonate. Consequently some antacids may exert their effect merely by altering pH activity and others by altering both the pH activity and the pH stability.

"The high pH peaks that may be achieved by some antacids such as sodium bicarbonate therefore not only have the effect of inhibiting temporarily pH activity but also lead to the irreversible alkali denaturation of all pepsin present in the stomach at that time."

"In the past the maintenance of the pH of the gastric contents above pH 7 has been discouraged by the concept of acid rebound. Recent investigations have, however, shown that this phenomenon does not occur (Pereira-Lima and Hollander, 1959a and b; Gillespie, 1959). Probably too, in deference to this concept, some methods of antacid assay have stipulated that the pH of the reaction mixture must not be elevated above 5 by the antacid (Brit. Pharm., 1963). The observations in this study show that elevation of the pH of the gastric contents above 8, even if transiently, not only inhibits peptic activity but leads to irreversible denaturation of pepsin."

"The pH found in the stomach in achlorhydric patients in the basal state usually varies between pH 6 and pH 8.5 and consequently any pepsin formed would probably be irreversibly inactivated by normal intragastric pH fluctuations. This supports the clinical observation of the failure of peptic ulceration to occur in the achlorhydric patient (Kahn, 1937)."

Amazoniac

- https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.00956.2001

Gastric p and H:
upload_2018-6-29_19-23-42.png
"Vertical arrows indicate the beginning of the meal."​

- Baking Soda Can Settle the Stomach but Upset the Heart: Case Files of the Medical Toxicology Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco

"According to [Arm et Hammer], each teaspoon of baking soda contains 4.8 g, corresponding to 59 mEq of sodium and 59 mEq of bicarbonate [1]."​

- https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/jps.3030370714

They used 150 ml as the volume equivalent to the gastric juice present in the stomach during a meal. For every 10 minutes there's raynewal of 20 ml of the fluid because some proceeds digestion and the loss is com and pen and sated. They added 2 grams of sodium bicarbonate (10, 3rd curve ) and this is what did the happenings:

upload_2018-6-29_19-23-57.png

The p and H went from 1.7 to 6.7 in a minute!​

There is one way to do this in a safer way: adding the bicarbonate salt to the organic acid of the choices (ascorbic, malic, citric) in a slight excess. This will neutralize the acid and provide only a bit of bicarbonate that won't affect the p and H of the stomach too much. It can be done with orange of the juices by adding a lemon/lime, no need for water and lemon on empty stomach. The conjugated base (Suikerbuik, 2018) will along with bicarbonate help to ease acidity when metabolized.

Last edited: