Baking Soda

gretchen

I've been experimenting with several tablespoons a day and have noticed decreased fatigue, decreased constipation and increased body temperature. I love the soft drink feeling it gives me- very relaxing. Is it safe to use daily?

key

gretchen said:
I've been experimenting with several tablespoons a day and have noticed decreased fatigue, decreased constipation and increased body temperature. I love the soft drink feeling it gives me- very relaxing. Is it safe to use daily?

yes some of the benefit is probably from sodium

OP
G

gretchen

I've had some diarrhea today. The additional co2 is generally anti stress though.

key

gretchen said:
I've had some diarrhea today.

probably from the sodium, probably want to use enough to get benefit but not diarrhea . the co2 is beneficial

OP
G

gretchen

key said:
gretchen said:

probably from the sodium, probably want to use enough to get benefit but not diarrhea . the co2 is beneficial

No I think it's the b s. Salt has a constructive yang effect and is anti diarrhea.

Dan W

I wonder about the risks of a lot of baking soda combined with the high milk and vitamin D intake associated with Peat since the combination is thought to contribute to milk-alkali syndrome. I wonder if Peat's emphasis on magnesium and Vitamin K/E/A helps protect against that somehow?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well that's scary.

Dean

Dan Wich said:
I wonder about the risks of a lot of baking soda combined with the high milk and vitamin D intake associated with Peat since the combination is thought to contribute to milk-alkali syndrome. I wonder if Peat's emphasis on magnesium and Vitamin K/E/A helps protect against that somehow?

The whole acid/alkaline thing confuses the hell out of me. It doesn't help that almost everyone recommending alkalinizing your body has a different opinion on what foods are acid and which are alkaline. I think by most measures Peating would be considered acidic, so perhaps he believes the alkaline diet stuff is a bunch of nonsense? Like I said, I don't really understand it all.

key

Dan Wich said:

Milk-alkali syndrome is from doing large amounts of calcium carbonate and other antacids. No one has gotten it from just milk and baking soda. If you are doing large amounts of calcium carbonate and baking soda I could see how susceptible individuals could get it(although the only people who get it are old and have other problems or they have eating disorders, so like you said other nutrients probably protect to a certain extent).

Peat talks about Acid/alkaline in the buteyko youtube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZkGxrntmTE). The constant stream of co2 from cell keeps alkaline minerals out, so healthy cell is slightly acidic and blood slightly alkaline. Unhealthy cell doesn't have co2 streaming out and dies in calcium death.

Dan W

Thanks key, I was hoping someone familiar with the issue would chime in. Do you think an occasional serum calcium test would be a reasonable precaution for the paranoid? I think it's easy for us health-experimenters to start pounding large quantities of baking soda, eggshell calcium, etc. without thinking about it.

I've also posted this as a question on Peatarian.com.

key

Dan Wich said:
Do you think an occasional serum calcium test would be a reasonable precaution for the paranoid? [/url].

Yea serum calcium goes up during mas(milk-akali syndrome). Ray says serum calcium is low when you get enough calcium.

Jenn

You want balance. Different parts of you body are supposed to be different, alkaline or acidic. The food does not determine acid or alkaline, YOUR body does. My bodies response to a certain food can be the opposite of yours.

The pancreas uses bicarbonate to neutralize stomach acid, so you don't burn a hole in your duodenum. The kidneys uses sodium bicarbonate to do its job. A deficiency means they aren't working properly. Pancreatic enzymes require a narrow range of pH in order to function. If that range is not met, the enzymes are inactivated and you don't break down food properly.

I use baking soda therapeutically...or used to, don't need as much any more. My saliva pH was running about 4.5-5.5 first thing in the AM....sometime it wouldn't even change color. :eek: I used 1/4 tsp about 15-20 minutes before eating to help the pH of the intestines to encourage enzyme activity. Once I was able to start absorbing more protein, my pH went DOWN farther as the kidneys had more work to do than they were used to. I took a larger dose 1/2 tsp 20-30 minutes before meals to aid the kidneys.

When I first started, I could not even digest my own milk, taken straight from the cow or goat....because raw milk enzymes function like pancreatic enzymes and were inactivated in my body.

HDD

Jenn, I find all this so fascinating. Did you learn from your nutritionist or is there a book or two you recommend?

HDD

Thanks! A friend has been wanting me to take a course at local college about the body. I think this will do and for a far better price. :D

Amosya

gretchen said:
key said:
gretchen said:

No I think it's the b s. Salt has a constructive yang effect and is anti diarrhea.

I don't think it is anti diarrhea if you take too much, on the opposite that is what the salt water flush is all about as I understand it. Check out "salt water flush" on a search page and see what it says.

jyb

gretchen said:
I've had some diarrhea today. The additional co2 is generally anti stress though.

I got this issue too. Possibly because it's easier due to taste to ingest more sodium from it than from salt, for a given amount of liquid? When sodium concentration is too high, liquid is absorbed in the intestines (there was a nice reply about this elsewhere on this forum when I asked about that issue). So I'll again but making sure I get enough liquid.

Jenn

Check your pH. The saliva ph will be more accurate than urine pH when taking therapeutic doses of baking soda. Take the pH reading first thing in the AM, before eating....a few days in a row.

Loose tools is different than diarrhea. Diarrhea is bacterial, the liver dumping things to get rid of toxins. Loose stools can be just softer than you are used to or a temporary dump of excess the liver doesn't need at the time. True diarrhea is a real issue and needs to be treated. Loose stools can be beneficial.

If your pH is good, then the BS is helping. Watch for UTI development or possibly balance with ACV after meals. If you get an itch, back off for a while.

Healing is not a straight line.

andvanwyk

What do you think a good saliva ph is? I see rbti people say 6.5 is best while others think 7.5 is best. Mine ranges from 5.5 to 7 first thing in the morning.