Baking soda + Orange Juice - stomach hurts so bad

Strongbad

Nowadays when I add 1/4 tablespoon of baking soda into my OJ, my stomach hurts really bad. Is this normal or there's abnormality in my digestive system? BTW, I also have about 1/2 tablespoon of eggshell powder in my meal per day. Maybe that also contributes to it?

burtlancast

Some people simply cannot tolerate any amount of baking soda.

tara

If something hurts I wouldn't keep doing it.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Doesn't the citric acid react with the sodium bicarbonate? Any time I put the two together, it foams up.

tara

@Strongbad: 1/2 a tablespoon of eggshell powder, if it is finely ground, seems like a lot of calcium carbonate. I think calcium carbonate is about 40% calcium, so that could be around 3g calcium. I would cut it down to no more than 1 tsp (5g calcium carbonate ~ 2g calcium) or less if you are getting significant calcium from other sources, eg milk.

@mujuro: Yes, I get lots of fizz adding 1tsp baking soda to 1l commercial (sour) OJ - gotta be careful if I don't want a mess. :)

Katty

If you don't drink the OJ immediately after adding baking soda, does the carbonate somehow escape? If I added the baking soda in the morning and tried to drink it throughout the day, would I be missing out on the CO2?

Strongbad said:
Nowadays when I add 1/4 tablespoon of baking soda into my OJ, my stomach hurts really bad. Is this normal or there's abnormality in my digestive system? BTW, I also have about 1/2 tablespoon of eggshell powder in my meal per day. Maybe that also contributes to it?

Try using salt instead of baking soda. If that doesn't help then eliminate the eggshell powder.

When I tried eggshell powder, I experienced intestinal cramps and discomfort until I switched to calcium carbonate powder (NOW foods brand).

tara

Katty said:
If you don't drink the OJ immediately after adding baking soda, does the carbonate somehow escape? If I added the baking soda in the morning and tried to drink it throughout the day, would I be missing out on the CO2?
I do this because I want to reduce the excess acidity in the commercial OJ, usually in a glass bottle and let the CO2 gas escape before capping. Occasionally I put it in a plastic soft drink bottle so the CO2 gas can't escape, and it's still got bubbles (and pressure) in it later.

Katty said:

Taking baking soda to raise CO2 won't work, you'll just burp it out.

CO2 is what the cells produce when burning sugar but ingesting it doesn't increase body CO2 levels, as a crude example, it's like saying we should eat poop to increase our poop's production.

Katty

cantstoppeating said:
Katty said:

CO2 is what the cells produce when burning sugar but ingesting it doesn't increase body CO2 levels, as a crude example, it's like saying we should eat poop to increase our poop's production.

Gotcha. Just seems I've read Peaters adding baking soda to drinks in order to get more C02 in.

What's going on when someone feels better after eating baking soda? Is it simply from the sodium? For instance, There are reports of decrease in pancreas pain from taking baking soda- would a person really get the same effects from taking salt?

Also, what about bag breathing? Does that actually increase c02?

tara

Katty said:
cantstoppeating said:
Katty said:

Gotcha. Just seems I've read Peaters adding baking soda to drinks in order to get more C02 in.

What's going on when someone feels better after eating baking soda? Is it simply from the sodium? For instance, There are reports of decrease in pancreas pain from taking baking soda- would a person really get the same effects from taking salt?

I think Peat has referred to positive effects from baking soda, too. But if you mix it with acid before drinking, it's no longer baking soda when it gets to your stomach. To get the baking soda turning into something useful in your system, I think you have to take just baking soda in water, or maybe with something sweet from flavour but not acid. It is different from the effects of salt.

Bag breathing increases CO2 in your system temporarily while you are doing it, then the body will regulate your breathign to restore its CO2 set point afterwards. If you do it often, you may be able to gradually increase your CO2 set point, so that it stays higher than before for a while/in between times.

Katty

tara said:
Katty said:
cantstoppeating said:
Katty said:

I think Peat has referred to positive effects from baking soda, too. But if you mix it with acid before drinking, it's no longer baking soda when it gets to your stomach. To get the baking soda turning into something useful in your system, I think you have to take just baking soda in water, or maybe with something sweet from flavour but not acid. It is different from the effects of salt.

Bag breathing increases CO2 in your system temporarily while you are doing it, then the body will regulate your breathign to restore its CO2 set point afterwards. If you do it often, you may be able to gradually increase your CO2 set point, so that it stays higher than before for a while/in between times.

Thanks, Tara. I thought cantstopeating was saying taking baking soda, even in water, is not going to increase C02. Maybe I misunderstood?

Also, can someone remind me... can increasing C02 lead to the formation of stones? And in what context? I thought if it's combined with calcium int he wrong places in the body. And the problem is, it seems it's hard to know if you have calcium in the wrong places... if I'm hypothyroid, I would assume that I do have calcium in the wrong places, or that it probably sin't being metabolized properly.

tara

Katty said:
Thanks, Tara. I thought cantstopeating was saying taking baking soda, even in water, is not going to increase C02. Maybe I misunderstood?

Also, can someone remind me... can increasing C02 lead to the formation of stones? And in what context? I thought if it's combined with calcium int he wrong places in the body. And the problem is, it seems it's hard to know if you have calcium in the wrong places... if I'm hypothyroid, I would assume that I do have calcium in the wrong places, or that it probably sin't being metabolized properly.

Here's the quote I was thinking about - thanks Judi and burtlancast for the transcription.
JR: You’ve mentioned how CO2 helps to regulate the thyroid; could we use CO2 to regulate parathyroid ? Can we use carbonated water or baking soda to facilitate that process ?

RP: Yeah. People have found that the exchange between bicarbonate and carbon dioxide is so quick that when you give a person a dose of sodium bicarbonate, the exchange of the bicarbonate to carbon dioxide is quick at the cell surface of a stressed cell. And so you can actually acidify and restore to normal a stressed cell with baking soda, because the sodium will quickly get lost out the urine, leaving the body as needed, acidified with the intracellular carbon dioxide, which puts the cell back into its anti-inflammatory resting state. And the excess sodium is the same as in the rat experiment where if you let the rat drink salty water, it isn’t so desperately dependent on calcium in its diet. The alkali minerals can substitute to a great extent for each other, so a slight excess of magnesium or sodium or potassium will help to spare calcium in a stress situation. And calcium can likewise make up for a deficiency of one of the others. For example, if you’re having cramps, it might essentially be a magnesium deficiency. But you can often stop the cramp with just baking soda (or salty water) or milk (for the calcium) or fruit (for the high potassium content). It lets you re-arrange the balance of your alkaline minerals and helps to make up for a crisis deficiency of one of them.
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=6197&p=73771

Personally, I'd be cautious about supplementing a lot of straight baking soda unless you have an idea about your general pH balance, which you can get an idea of by checking UpH a few times and averaging. This is an RBTI idea, but Peat has confirmed that ideal UpH range recommended by RBTI is about right - Peat says 24 hr UpH should be about 6.3-6.7. There are a couple of threads about milk alkali syndrome and a couple on kidney stones that you may find relevant. If you don't find them, I'll see if I can. My understanding of kidney stones is that they can have different causes, and that UpH can be relevant for at least some of them, but I can't remember much more ATM.

Katty

Thanks for posting all that, Tara! So, if I'm reading it correctly, Ray does think ingesting baking soda can get the cell out of a stressed state.
Yeah, I've been considering taking more baking soda for some ammonia issues, but I'm still not clear on the ramifications.

mt_dreams

high ph food/liquid goes in, more hydrochloric acid needs to be produced, by which your body produces more bicarbonate to buffer the larger acid load once it's job is done in the stomach. Net effect is a more alkali digestive track (not including the stomach of course), and thus drastically preventing digestive issues (cancer, etc) as they can't really survive in the akali condition. The higher body ph (which is just another term for electrical voltage) will also allow you to process stress (both internal and external) much better than a low ph (aka low voltage). This is all assuming your kidneys are in good working order as any kidney issue will most likely result in acidic blood, though it's not an absolute. The same goes for your body's hydrochloric acid production.

tara

mt_dreams said:
high ph food/liquid goes in, more hydrochloric acid needs to be produced, by which your body produces more bicarbonate to buffer the larger acid load once it's job is done in the stomach. Net effect is a more alkali digestive track (not including the stomach of course), and thus drastically preventing digestive issues (cancer, etc) as they can't really survive in the akali condition. The higher body ph (which is just another term for electrical voltage) will also allow you to process stress (both internal and external) much better than a low ph (aka low voltage). This is all assuming your kidneys are in good working order as any kidney issue will most likely result in acidic blood, though it's not an absolute. The same goes for your body's hydrochloric acid production.
I too have heard that cancers are less common in a slightly more alkaline state.
It is possible to go too far, and get other problems, though. It's not a matter of the more alkaline the better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals