yerrag

I like adding baking soda to my orange juice but am concerned I may be adding too much. It is basically pure salt, and the serving size is 1/8 teaspoon and I regularly add a heaping full teaspoon to my OJ to get it nice and fizzy. I think at the end of the day I am probably at least double the RDA for sodium, do you think this could be a problem? I know that Peat recommends salt and calcium because they work together to raise the metabolism but has he ever warned against consuming too much salt?
I don't know of I can find the reference but I read that people are blaming sodium and absolving chloride. Sodium is fine. It's the chloride that in excess can be harmful.

Mauritio

Shouldnt that much baking soda cause water retention?

jus d'orange

Do you think combining it with an acidic liquid like orange juice would balance the PH and interrupt the "make more stomach acid signal"?

"when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there's no need to mount a protective immune response"

Also @natedawggh 's blog and new book extol the virtues of consuming a white vinegar + baking soda combo (sodium acetate) for its ability to combat bad gut bacteria. While I'm paraphrasing poorly, consuming baking soda combined with white vinegar in particular is working well for him - could be correlation or causation.

burtlancast

Can you direct me to this info?
Sure.

The Vitamin C Foundation explains that not all forms of vitamin C are created equal. The form of vitamin C taken by the late Nobelist Linus Pauling was ascorbic acid. Pauling took his ascorbic acid in water and he added some bicarbonate (baking) soda to make a buffered, more alkaline and effervescent pleasant tasting drink. (It is recommended that you wait for the drink to stop fizzing before you drink it.)

pg 118 of this free ebook:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ds_ebook.doc&usg=AOvVaw3ZJx2wZAOSm7WEWm7BEHKM

The average adult stomach makes between 20 and 100ml of acid depending on the meal... 2 grams baking soda will effectively neutralize around 30ml of stomach acid.... this should be minor enough that taking it at the same time as a meal is unlikely to interfere with healthy stomach acid production. I'm guessing that above 3 grams of baking soda at meal time would become problematic, I would particularly be cautious of this if you are no longer < 30 years of age. Personally I feel a lot better just taking baking soda between meals - I don't like the feeling of delayed digestion.

griesburner

sorry to quote myself ^^ but maybe someone could interprete this study? Stomach acid dilution is a problem but could be easylily avoided when ingested between meals but this sounds very alarming to me:

"These data demonstrate that NaHCO3 impairs arterial oxygenation and reduces systemic and myocardial oxygen consumption. The decrease in oxygen utilization is associated with anaerobic metabolism, enhanced glycolysis, and elevation of the blood lactate level, and may lead to transient myocardial ischemia in some patients."

They gave it intravenously to heart patients but couldnt that be happen in healthy people during oral route?

appotis

I think between meals there is only a little stomach acid around. Just with chewing and food in the stomach the production of stomach acid kicks in.

My experience with 3g baking soda is, that I get calmer and more zen after 20-30 minutes. My breathing slows down, too.

Do you think combining it with an acidic liquid like orange juice would balance the PH and interrupt the "make more stomach acid signal"?

"when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there's no need to mount a protective immune response"

This is really interesting. According to opponent-process theory, homeostasis the pendulum would swing less to the other side if you combine it with OJ. Maybe OJ would be a softer version to start with baking soda. After the body get used to it, one could try it without OJ to push stomach acid production afterward.

I will experiment with it and look for digestion of lunch after 3g baking 2h before.

benaoao

how about water like Badoit? It's not super concentrated in sodium bicarbonate but still provides 1g+ of bicarbonate per liter

sladerunner69

Double the RDA is less than 5g, right? I think I've read in a couple of Haidut's threads that the 'optimal amount' is around that much.

Optimal Sodium Intake Is At Least 230% Higher Than RDA
More Dietary Salt Increases Urea Synthesis And Energy Requirements

Unless it makes you feel bad you're likely fine.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. On a related note, I use baking soda to brush my teeth twice a day. I have been peating for 5 years and my teeth do not look good, they have clearly decayed especially around the gum line. I was hoping that keeping my thyroid healthy and taking in enough calcium would be enough to prevent tooth decay even if I was only brushing with baking soda. I have had a look at Peat's teeth as well as danny roddy's and they aren't great... I wonder how us peaty folks can keep our teeth sparkling white without using fluoride toothpaste?

sladerunner69

Another interesting point is Pauling was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 70 yet lived symptoms free for another 20 years by drinking everyday 18 gr of Vit C mixed with baking soda.

Maybe it was more the baking soda that helped him, rather than the Vit C?

Simoncini is curing cancer people with it.

Isn't the survival rate of prostate cancer something like 90% even without treatment?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just what I was looking for, thanks. On a related note, I use baking soda to brush my teeth twice a day. I have been peating for 5 years and my teeth do not look good, they have clearly decayed especially around the gum line. I was hoping that keeping my thyroid healthy and taking in enough calcium would be enough to prevent tooth decay even if I was only brushing with baking soda. I have had a look at Peat's teeth as well as danny roddy's and they aren't great... I wonder how us peaty folks can keep our teeth sparkling white without using fluoride toothpaste?
How is your vitamin D level?

sladerunner69

How is your vitamin D level?

I am not certain I don't often have it tested. However living in a sunny place it is not difficult for me to get 15 minutes of sunlight exposure while walking around outside, going about my day. If I did get it tested what numbers am I shooting for?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If I did get it tested what numbers am I shooting for?
Peat said he thinks around 55 is optimal.

From my gatherings, 65 seems optimal, although this is not a suggestion and I do urge everyone to do their own research.

Last edited:

Kartoffel

sorry to quote myself ^^ but maybe someone could interprete this study? Stomach acid dilution is a problem but could be easylily avoided when ingested between meals but this sounds very alarming to me:

"These data demonstrate that NaHCO3 impairs arterial oxygenation and reduces systemic and myocardial oxygen consumption. The decrease in oxygen utilization is associated with anaerobic metabolism, enhanced glycolysis, and elevation of the blood lactate level, and may lead to transient myocardial ischemia in some patients."

They gave it intravenously to heart patients but couldnt that be happen in healthy people during oral route?

Oral Sodium bicarbonate increases exercise performance, but it's administration also seems to increase lactate levels as well, both in exercise and non-exercise studies. For example, most reviews come to the conclusion that sodium bicarbonate doesn't have any beneficial effect for patients with lactic acidosis, and some studies strongly suggest that it is even dangerous because it further increases lactate production and reduces tissue oxygenation. Maybe @haidut has some thoughts on this.

J Sports Sci. 1992 Oct;10(5):425-35.
Sodium bicarbonate ingestion and its effects on anaerobic exercise of various durations.
McNaughton LR1.
Abstract
Four groups of male subjects participated in anaerobic testing on a Repco EX10 cycle ergometer to determine the effectiveness of sodium bicarbonate (0.3 g kg-1 body mass) as an ergogenic aid during exercise of 10, 30, 120 and 240 s duration. Blood was collected 90 min prior to ingestion of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), after ingestion of NaHCO3 and immediately post-exercise from a heated (43-46 degrees C) fingertip and analysed immediately post-collection for pH, base excess, bicarbonate and lactate. The total work undertaken (kJ) and peak power achieved during the tests were also obtained via a Repco Work Monitor Unit. Blood bicarbonate levels were again increased above the control and placebo conditions (P < 0.001) and blood lactate levels were also increased following the bicarbonate trials. The pH levels fell significantly (P < 0.05) below the control and placebo conditions in all trials. The results indicate that NaHCO3 at this dosage has no ergogenic benefit for work of either 10 or 30 s duration, even though blood bicarbonate levels were significantly increased (P < 0.05) following ingestion of NaHCO3. For work periods of 120 and 240 s, performance was significantly increased (P < 0.05) above the control and placebo conditions following NaHCO3 ingestion.

Effect of Sodium Bicarbonate Administration on Mortality in Patients with Lactic Acidosis: A Retrospective Analysis
Hyun Jeong Kim, Young Ki Son, Won Suk An
PLoS One. 2013; 8(6)

Abstract
Background:
Lactic acidosis is a common cause of high anion gap metabolic acidosis. Sodium bicarbonate may be
considered for an arterial pH 7.15 but paradoxically depresses cardiac performance and exacerbates acidosis by enhancing
lactate production.
This study aimed to evaluate the cause and mortality rate of lactic acidosis and to investigate the effect
of factors, including sodium bicarbonate use, on death.

Methods:
We conducted a single center analysis from May 2011 through April 2012. We retrospectively analyzed 103
patients with lactic acidosis among 207 patients with metabolic acidosis. We used SOFA and APACHE II as severity scores to
estimate illness severity. Multivariate logistic regression analysis and Cox regression analysis models were used to identify
factors that affect mortality.

Results:
Of the 103 patients with a mean age of 66.16 +/-11.4 years, eighty-three patients (80.6%) died from sepsis (61.4%),
hepatic failure, cardiogenic shock and other causes. The percentage of sodium bicarbonate administration (p = 0.006),
catecholamine use, ventilator care and male gender were higher in the non-survival group than the survival group. The non-
survival group had significantly higher initial and follow-up lactic acid levels, lower initial albumin, higher SOFA scores and
APACHE II scores than the survival group. The mortality rate was significantly higher in patients who received sodium
bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate administration (p = 0.016) was associated with higher mortality.
Independent factors that
affected mortality were SOFA score (Exp (B) = 1.72, 95% CI = 1.12–2.63, p = 0.013) and sodium bicarbonate administration
(Exp (B) = 6.27, 95% CI = 1.10–35.78, p = 0.039).

Conclusions:
Lactic acidosis, which has a high mortality rate, should be evaluated in patients with metabolic acidosis. In
addition, sodium bicarbonate should be prescribed with caution in the case of lactic acidosis because sodium bicarbonate
administration may affect mortality

I have a hunch, if one were to take the sodium bicarbonate in equal amounts as potassium bicarbonate that this would provide the same benefits as the study in OP but also prevent from extra lactic acid build up.

YourUniverse

I have been peating for 5 years and my teeth do not look good, they have clearly decayed especially around the gum line. I was hoping that keeping my thyroid healthy and taking in enough calcium would be enough to prevent tooth decay even if I was only brushing with baking soda. I have had a look at Peat's teeth as well as danny roddy's and they aren't great... I wonder how us peaty folks can keep our teeth sparkling white without using fluoride toothpaste?

Check out the thread on this forum, "this is a big piece of the health puzzle" - it's about dental health and cause of decay, that being acid and acid-producing bacteria. Having a few grams of xylitol after meals and especially after acidic foods like OJ can be therapeutic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals