Baked carrot salad more effective than raw?

miquelangeles

SORPTION OF BILE ACIDS AND CHOLESTEROL BY DIETARY FIBER OF CARROTS, CABBAGE AND APPLES

bile-acids-adsorption-by-fiber-of-carrots-cabbage-apples-depending-on-heat-treatment.jpg

cholesterol-adsorption-by-dietary-fiber-of-carrots-cabbage-apples-depending-on-heat-treatment.jpg

frannybananny

This is interesting. I must say that my digestive system works better with slightly cooked carrots rather than raw but I think Peat says the raw carrots scrape away the endotoxins from the gut and diminish escess estrogen? Most of your article has to do with cholesterol.

>>Cholesterol adsorption by dietary of plants material was differentiated and depended on kind of material. Cholesterol was bounded by cabbage fiber in the highest degree (77.3%), by carrots fiber in lower degree (70.2%) and by apples fiber least of all (66.5%). Not without any meaning was applied vegetables and fruit heat treatment. Fiber of baked carrots, cabbage and apples (Fig. 2) adsorbed cholesterol in the highest degree. Baked apples bound 47% more cholesterol (in compare with raw apples), while cabbage only about 17%. Probably, formatted products of nonenzymatic browning posses cholesterol binding capacity, similarly as in bile acids case. Heat treatment (boiling) of plants material increased cholesterol sorption about 29% in case of carrots and 41% in case of apples in compare with raw material. The increase of pectins content or changes in proportion of insoluble fraction – lignin participation increase and cellulose decrease, were probably the reason of adsorption increase. The fiber of steamed carrots, cabbage and apple has the lowest cholesterol binding capacity in compare with fiber of raw and boiled and baked plants material. and Kostyra’s [10] investigations shown that insoluble fiber fraction of Italian cabbage may bind circa 70% of cholesterol, while white cabbage can bind 86% of cholesterol. From earlier investigations results that dietary fiber of examined vegetables and fruits contained much more insoluble fraction what may confirm that the insoluble fiber fraction is responsible for cholesterol binding. <<

OliviaD

I also slightly cook my carrots for my GI tract.
It would be interesting to hear his thoughts. The article also mentions bile salts, and I know there is relationship between the bile salts and endotoxins, i.e removing the former seems to help the latter, so there could be some indirect help.

I like to think that perhaps raw is best per Dr. Peat, but my semi cooked is still good :)

Dawid

In Poland it is common practice to eat boiled carrot for gut problems - not raw - and it is highly recommended by doctors. Raw carrot always gives me migraines, dry and flaky skin on my face and overall fatigue.

OliviaD

In Poland it is common practice to eat boiled carrot for gut problems - not raw - and it is highly recommended by doctors. Raw carrot always gives me migraines, dry and flaky skin on my face and overall fatigue.
Thank you! That is very interesting because I had given up on the raw carrot salad but thought I would try it again with a small amount, 1/4 to 1/2 carrot, and Olive Oil instead of coconut oil. I am very sensitive to fiber. It has made me more bloated and constipated, and I’ve been waking up with migraines. I’m glad to hear someone else having that symptom because RP used these to get rid of migraines! I think my digestion and motility are so poor I cannot process the raw carrots.

I will try this! Can I just peel and slice the carrots then, vs shredding them as RP recommends?

That is great that doctors recommend something like

Dawid

Thank you! That is very interesting because I had given up on the raw carrot salad but thought I would try it again with a small amount, 1/4 to 1/2 carrot, and Olive Oil instead of coconut oil. I am very sensitive to fiber. It has made me more bloated and constipated, and I’ve been waking up with migraines. I’m glad to hear someone else having that symptom because RP used these to get rid of migraines! I think my digestion and motility are so poor I cannot process the raw carrots.

I will try this! Can I just peel and slice the carrots then, vs shredding them as RP recommends?

That is great that doctors recommend something like
Doctor's recommendation is to boil it as a whole until it's soft with a little bit of butter (I don't know why with butter) and then you can just mash it.

OliviaD

Doctor's recommendation is to boil it as a whole until it's soft with a little bit of butter (I don't know why with butter) and then you can just mash it.
Thank you so much! That is easy. Butter could slow the absorption , or maybe just for taste :) I'm going to try this with my carrots!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals