Bag Breathing

robertf

first try

lasted about about 10 breaths and felt like i was suffocating, had to stop

fail

tara

Not necessarily a fail.
Just practising doing it until it gets slightly uncomfortable, several times a day, can allow the body to gradually adjust to allowing CO2 levels to stay a little higher. I think Peat talks about doing a minute or two, but less could well still be useful. How long is comfortable probably depends on the capacity of the bag. Trying to force yourself to persist into serious discomfort may just cause more stress than it's worth.

Tarmander

Why not just take some baking soda? It will raise your co2 and you won't have to bag breathe...I'm curious really...why don't people just do that instead of bag breathing?

tara

Tarmander said:
Why not just take some baking soda? It will raise your co2 and you won't have to bag breathe...I'm curious really...why don't people just do that instead of bag breathing?

I think they may have opposite effects on systemic pH. If you are running too acidic, adding some baking soda may sometimes be more helpful than heavy bag breathing, at least in the short term. (And increasing some minerals may be more helpful long term for maintaining better pH balance). If you are running too alkaline, baking soda would likely exacerbate that, whereas bag-breathing I think would tend to be helpfully acidifying?

I also wonder whether the practice of bag breathing has a more direct effect on retraining the breathing control system to allow higher CO2 levels in between sessions?

stcrim

Wouldn't potassium bicarbonate be just as effective as baking soda???

-S-

superhuman

@Tarmander you cant raise co2 as much as with bag breathing. You would have to take alot of sodium bicarb to achieve that and that may cause problems in terms of making you sick and sh***ing yourself.

you can bag breathe a few breaths, and then breathe normal air for a few breaths, and prolong things without building up too much CO2 . That's what I would do.

M

marikay

I think it might be a good sign that you can only bag breathe for a few breaths before it becomes uncomfortable.