Bag Breathing Basics, Ray Peat's Advice

Logan-

For how long should I inhale and exhale into a brown paper bag? What is the generally accepted length of time for this? How many times a day should this be done? Does Ray Peat say anything about these (I would prefer if you could add a quote or a source)?
Can doing it for 15 minutes cause hypoxia and cause brain cells to die?

Last edited:

cyclops

I believe your supposed to do it until your just slightly uncomfortable so as not to create a stress response. I think I've also heard people say they usually do it for a couple minutes or so at a time.

Not sure how a person would figure out how many times per day is best for them.

ddjd

I just hold my breath for as long as I can. ideally around 1-2 minutes. You really notice a massive difference. I don't know why people bother with bags.

just breathe normally into the bag. Inhale, exhale. You can try to exhale longer, by exhaling and pausing without inhaling. The secret is to inhale the rebreathed high-CO2 air that you can only get naturally with this method or a method that has "dead space" that you are breathing into and out of.

Two minutes is probably okay, 3 or 4 times a day. you can work up to 15 minutes. Don't stress out, breathe regular air at times if it starts feeling stressful or you get a headache. Then come back to bag breathing. In other words, don't do it too intensely.

Breath holding is completely different and I don't recommend inhaling and holding your breath. Not at all.

ddjd

It does? I don't think so at all. It does not reset the "capnostat" in the body to a higher level of CO2.
Well let's just stick to our own methods then. No point trying to convince each other of what we think is better!

nwo2012

Buteyko exercises raise co2. Easy one is breathe in over a 2-3 count and then breathe out for a longer count. Add a second to tbe exhale time until you cant add any more. You feel warmer quickly with increased co2.

DannyIrons™

Well let's just stick to our own methods then. No point trying to convince each other of what we think is better!

Hi Joeyd - just out of interest, what's the procedure of your breath hold?

Last edited:

X3CyO

I go under my covers and create a sealed space, where I breathe through my nose until warm.

Same; i remember falling asleep like that as a kid too sometimes.

Easiest way to get a co2 boost if the rooms cold.

exile

When you bag breathe do you inhale and exhale through the nostrils, inhale through the nostrils and exhale through the mouth or just have it over your mouth and inhale/exhale through the mouth?