Bad Experience With Glycine

Mobius 1

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on the forum, and I would really appreciate your collective help. This forum has really been a fountain of knowledge for me and many others.

A few weeks ago I began to change my diet significantly (more protein and vegetables, less or no gluten) and was having sleeping troubles.

For the sleeping troubles as well as general health, I started supplementing amino acids, including Acetyl L-Carnitine, L-Arginine, L-Tryptophan, and Glycine, as well as Magnesium Glycinate and L-Theanine.

All of these supplements put me in a pretty good mood, and I was tolerating them pretty well.

After a few days, I decided to up my Glycine supplementation to about 4.5 grams, as I was still not getting great sleep.

On the first night I did this, I noticed little change in sleep.

On the second night, my sleep got a little worse, and along with that, some other symptoms:

-fatigue

-blunted emotions (not totally, but noticeably less fear, joy, anxiety or pleasure)

-numbness in the genitals

-a weaker urge to urinate; I still sense when I have to go to the bathroom, but just not as much as before

-less hunger pains or appetite

-I use to get small muscle spasms, but they are much weaker now (so I guess you could say that that was an improvement haha)

These are the main symptoms. I have been off the supplements for just two days, so I'm not expecting any improvement yet.

But I'm wondering, what could the issue be? I saw a user post something about ammonia, could that be the cause, excess Or inflammation?

Also, I have been slowly adjusting my diet to include more sugars, a la Ray Peat's suggestions, and I feel that that has helped with sleep to some degree.

Any advice you could give would be great.

Recoen

Will you share why you’re taking the ALCAR and tryptophan?

TopGun1911

I get the exact same experience with glycine. If I take it before sleep, it feels as though I've only slept for a few hours at most the day after and my whole day is ruined. I'd love to know why.

OP
M

Mobius 1

Will you share why you’re taking the ALCAR and tryptophan?

To be honest, just for general health, as well as increasing androgen sensitivity, as I'm experiencing some side effects from coming off of finasteride (not terrible side effects, but they're there nonetheless).

scoobydoo

I believe I heard somewhere that glycine depletes B6 which is also known to aid in sleep I think?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
My son and I were also supplementing glycine and we both had bad dreams and didn't sleep well. But at first we didn't know the connection. I think my son found out about it, so we stopped using it. We only used a small amount, there was a tiny spoon in the package, and the package had a label with a recommended amount of 1 g.

BearWithMe

My sleep quality is really bad too, when supplementing glycine. And it gives me nausea.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
My sleep quality is really bad too, when supplementing glycine. And it gives me nausea.

I had the same result re: nausea once and I just recreated it. I think it came from taking too much on an empty stomach.
As for dreams, I have this issue and prefer to take it in the morning, have you tried this? It has mild stimulant effect in morning with caffeine and sugar

Re.Generate

Hi there mobius - welcome - just curious how much you have this far been reading through the forums?

the reason I ask is that the aminos you are taking - carnitine, tryptophan and arginine are three aminos that ray and many on the forums tend to specifically avoid - due to their increasing of fat burning, serotonin and nitric oxide.

basically, as far as my limited understanding goes, those would be some of the amino acids that myself and many others are going specifically out of our ways to avoid and even taking many other things to suppress their expressions in the body. In fact I would probably choose to explore glycine on its own as, based on my current understanding, those symptoms sound like upregulating serotonin and nitric oxide to me.

really not trying to step on your toes in any way - just offering you my understanding and guessing at what could be going on

and I get and appreciate you are trying things out and seeing what works! Cool!.

OP
M

Mobius 1

Hey guys, just a quick update.

I want first to thank everyone for their replies in this thread, and say that I'm sorry for not responding sooner.

I also wanted to say that, while my condition hasn't really improved, I don't really blame the glycine or any other Peat-friendly supplement I was taking.

As Dr. Peat says himself, stress brings havoc to the body, so in all likelihood the supplements I was taking prior to this "crash" were not the cause of it, or at least were not the main component of it.

My stress was previously through the roof prior to taking these supplements.

Also, I want to say a brief word about PFS and supplementation; supplements sometimes just hit differently for us, and it's up to the individual to listen to his/her body and come up with a regiment that's right for them.

As for me, I'm learning a lot on this forum. Many people's takes on health, fitness and philosophy are fascinating, and I'm learning a lot about the mind and its influence on the body day-by-day.

Again, for non-PFS people, or anyone in general, I highly doubt that glycine did me much harm (although I heard it can be stimulating for some, so mileage may vary).

Have a nice day y'all!

Spartan300

@Mobius 1 I'm about to update another thread where I've been reporting on use of progesterone and not seeing the effects I was hoping for & I'm concluding that stress trumps everything. The impact of stress is not to be underestimated & it's likely that for some of us if we could truly eliminate serious stress from our lives everything else would fall into place.

Supplements & diet might be able to slightly reduce the impact of stress but at least for me cannot overcome the effects of it.