Bactrim

cureme

Guys, I was prescribed bactrim (800mg twice a day for 10 days) to treat a recurrent throat infection. I previously took amoxicillin with potassium clavulanate and also azithromycin.
I am concerned about the possibility of a future shortage of b1 and folate. (I'm a vegetarian)
I am having urinary retention and a lot of irritability and I am on the second day of medication. Should I be concerned? What can I do to reduce the damage?

mostlylurking

Guys, I was prescribed bactrim (800mg twice a day for 10 days) to treat a recurrent throat infection. I previously took amoxicillin with potassium clavulanate and also azithromycin.
I am concerned about the possibility of a future shortage of b1 and folate. (I'm a vegetarian)
I am having urinary retention and a lot of irritability and I am on the second day of medication. Should I be concerned? What can I do to reduce the damage?
Yes. You should be concerned. Read this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

I wouldn't take it if I were you. I'd research online here: You searched for antibiotics - Hormones Matter and find which antibiotics are sort of safer. Penicillin is safe(r) and the old tetracycline. Newer antibiotics can be pretty dangerous; they can permanently change your life.

Are you saying that the amoxicillin and azithromycin failed to clear the infection so the doctor put you on Bactrim? I had a recurring infection last summer; it finally cleared up via augmentin (penicillin + something else). If I was in serious trouble I'd take the augmentin again but I will never take Bactrim again ever. I was seriously messed up for 6 months even with thiamine supplementation. I'm OK now but it looks like I'll be taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl for many months if I ever am able to stop taking it.

Lollipop2

Yes. You should be concerned. Read this article: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

I wouldn't take it if I were you. I'd research online here: You searched for antibiotics - Hormones Matter and find which antibiotics are sort of safer. Penicillin is safe(r) and the old tetracycline. Newer antibiotics can be pretty dangerous; they can permanently change your life.

Are you saying that the amoxicillin and azithromycin failed to clear the infection so the doctor put you on Bactrim? I had a recurring infection last summer; it finally cleared up via augmentin (penicillin + something else). If I was in serious trouble I'd take the augmentin again but I will never take Bactrim again ever. I was seriously messed up for 6 months even with thiamine supplementation. I'm OK now but it looks like I'll be taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl for many months if I ever am able to stop taking it.
So glad you responded @mostlylurking. I was going to tag you.

OP
cureme

cureme

Both Azithromycin and amoxicillin / clavulanic acid failed.

I believe there is no other choice but to discontinue use. Because the side effects I'm having are very strong

Sorry for my English

mostlylurking

Both Azithromycin and amoxicillin / clavulanic acid failed.

I believe there is no other choice but to discontinue use. Because the side effects I'm having are very strong

Sorry for my English
I took the Bactrim for 4 days. It blocked my thiamine function. It did not get better on its own. Get yourself some thiamine hcl.

Gargling with salt water might help your throat. Your English is fine.

ursidae

I took the Bactrim for 4 days. It blocked my thiamine function. It did not get better on its own. Get yourself some thiamine hcl.

Gargling with salt water might help your throat. Your English is fine.
I've seen your posts about your experience, I took metronidazole and been taking b1 for a while now. What is your red meat intake? There is a worrying concave segment (runs horizontally) on my right thumb that looks like the beginning of koilonychia

mostlylurking

I've seen your posts about your experience, I took metronidazole and been taking b1 for a while now. What is your red meat intake? There is a worrying concave segment (runs horizontally) on my right thumb that looks like the beginning of koilonychia
I'm not familiar with koilonychia so I looked it up; it has to do with your fingernails? Is this what you are referring to? Koilonychia - Treatment, Symptoms, Causes, Pictures

snippet:
This problem with the nail can be caused by iron deficiency anemia or in some exceptions is congenital. The depression is developed thru iron anemia but can also be genetic as an autosomal prevailing trail or it can be linked with other syndromes and causes such as:
  • Impaired circulation peripherally
  • Thyroid dysfunction
  • Musculoskeletal conditions
  • Systemic lupus erythematosus
  • Renal disease
  • Hemochromatosis
  • Nail Patella Syndrome
  • Hypoplastic Patella
  • Raynaud’s disease
  • Contact dermatitis to petroleum-based solvents
  • Direct trauma
  • Excessive use of soaps or oils
My red meat intake has increased for the past 6 weeks because I've been craving it. I'm thrilled that I can digest it again; the high thiamine therapy has improved my digestion. I'm eating about 4 ounces of steak once or twice a week, plus liver once a week. Last summer, my ferritin was pretty high; there was discussion of me donating blood to lower it. I will be getting bloodwork again in the next month and will check my iron status then. Seems like I read that thiamine can lower iron? I have read a couple of places that it is thought that thiamine can lower heavy metals (lead); iron is also considered a heavy metal.

LadyRae

How are you feeling? I am almost finished with a 10 day round of Bactrim and I feel amazing. Diarrhea gone. Lots of energy. No more bloating. Ghost wipes! (Sorry, but I know this is a healthy bowel goal..) Lower body post-exercise water retention also-gone!

I have searched the forum and most of the info regarding Bactrim is from this unfortunate "mostly lurking" individual that had a bad experience and so thinks everyone will ?....

Our guts are highly individual and apparently I just needed to kill off some bugs.

I hope you are well!

Cara

How are you feeling? I am almost finished with a 10 day round of Bactrim and I feel amazing. Diarrhea gone. Lots of energy. No more bloating. Ghost wipes! (Sorry, but I know this is a healthy bowel goal..) Lower body post-exercise water retention also-gone!

I have searched the forum and most of the info regarding Bactrim is from this unfortunate "mostly lurking" individual that had a bad experience and so thinks everyone will ?....

Our guts are highly individual and apparently I just needed to kill off some bugs.

I hope you are well!
Did you take any probiotics, yogurt, or butyrate during?

InChristAlone

I hope you are well!
I've heard many say this about antibiotics while on them, but please do update in a month or two if this sticks.

LadyRae

I've heard many say this about antibiotics while on them, but please do update in a month or two if this sticks.
So the Bactrim round was last May...bloating never returned. That therapy marked a huge turn-around in my digestive healing.

OP
cureme

cureme

I hope you are well!
I ended up not taking Bactrim and got on Ciprofloxacin for 15 days. Ciprofloxacin did not solve my problem and the doctor prescribed another 21 days of this poison, I gave up on the treatment.
I am trying alternative forms of treatment but considering going back to the doctor who prescribed me Bactrim and trying again.

What I've discovered so far is that this sore throat could be caused by environmental allergens (dust, mold and cat hair), a poorly maintained sinusitis I had as a teenager, or a reflux.

I recently started a course in Chinese medicine, I believe that soon I will know how to take care of myself without depending on Western medicine.

for now I am using Ambroxol Hydrochloride to clear secretions from the upper airways.