Bacteriophages gave me leaky gut...

peateats1

Does anyone have a solution for this? My gut is constantly leaking endotoxin and I don't know how to fix this. It's pretty much destroyed my health.
This started right after I took bacteriophages in October of 2019. I had a stool test done and it looks fine for the most part. The only "bad" bacteria was detected in a throat swab I had done. It's enterobacter, which I'm currently treating with Bactrim. It's not helping my lps symptoms at all, so I don't think it's my main issue really.
I had a cyrex labs lps blood test done and it did show elevated endotoxin. Also, any time I'm active at all, even grocery shopping, I turn pale/yellowish, and look sickly, which I know is caused by endotoxins leaking into my blood stream.
So far I've tried xifaxan and other antibiotics to lower bacterial load which helps for a while sometimes, but then I'm back in the same inflamed boat. I've tried colostrum, gelatin, bone broth, suppressing my tsh to near zero, progesterone, niacinamide, multiple carrot salads per day, probiotics, aspirin, low iron(I didn't eat red meat for a year), sunbathing everyday for a whole summer, red light therapy, and nothing helps enough to end this nightmare. These things are keeping me from spiraling into severe health problems but they aren't fixing the root of it all.
Some things that have helped mildly are xifaxan, cyproheptadine, vitamin A(I seem to have a serious deficiency or something), and now vitamin E succinate(I just started this and it calms me so much)
My main symptoms are: purple/red extremities from poor circulation(like people with pots), high blood pressure and heart rate, chest and vein/vascular pain, poor muscle tone, low energy, depression, low body temp, low potassium (I'm guessing from elevated renin due to endotoxin poisoning), just overall feeling sick and fatigued, red angiomas appearing all over my skin, high prolactin and serotonin.
I had none of those symptoms until the phage induced nightmare.
My diet is great.......cottage cheese(no gums), occasionally boiled spinach, boiled mushrooms, carrot salad, gelatin, oxtail bone broth, eggs, oj, coconut water, chocolate, etc.

So I guess with all that said, is there something I'm missing here? Do bacteriophages cause leaky gut permanently? I have zero ecoli in my intestines thanks to the phages....could that cause leaky gut? Do bacteriophages stay in the intestine forever? How do I fix this?

T

TheBeard

Have you tried Lugol's iodine?

It's pretty potent at killing bacterium and fungi, it works well for me.

professor_sue

Have you tried Lugol's iodine?

It's pretty potent at killing bacterium and fungi, it works well for me.
This is good info to have! I had bought Lugol's iodine at the start of the virus crisis last February 2020, but have not taken any of it. How much do you take and/or would you recommend? There are no dosage recommendations on the bottle. I have a hypothyroid diagnosis and am currently taking 120 mg of Armour Thyroid. I have wanted to take it but I just don't have a clue about how many drops, etc. Any insights would be awesome. Thank you!

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

If your gut's leaky it's because the gut lining is not healthy. Colonocytes get up to 90% of their energy from butyrate, which is produced by gut bacteria and found in certain foods. So if you're killing off gut bacteria, your only source is food, and that may not be enough.

T

TheBeard

This is good info to have! I had bought Lugol's iodine at the start of the virus crisis last February 2020, but have not taken any of it. How much do you take and/or would you recommend? There are no dosage recommendations on the bottle. I have a hypothyroid diagnosis and am currently taking 120 mg of Armour Thyroid. I have wanted to take it but I just don't have a clue about how many drops, etc. Any insights would be awesome. Thank you!

Half dropper of a 2% solution in 1.5L bottle of apple juice sipped through the day.

professor_sue

Half dropper of a 2% solution in 1.5L bottle of apple juice sipped through the day.
Great, thank you! I appreciate it. I'll give it a shot. Anything that can help boost my thyroid will be helpful to boost my overall metabolism I would imagine.

rei

cholesterol, preg&prog, methylene blue, aspirin, and just to cover all the basics a good multivitamin. Sometimes it is better to take a multivitamin than trying to snipe some aspects that might make others worse.

As specific treatment something like megadosing vitamin c until noticeable diarrhea might be something that shifts the balance towards normal.

LLight

Long term betaine supplementation.
Seems to be involved with bile acid production and immune system in the gut.

Betaine (trimethylglycine, an osmolyte) really seems like a wonder nutrients:

Investigation of betaine as a novel psychotherapeutic for schizophrenia

That's weird how digestion seems to be so hard to fix while we should now know all the possible causes and how to remedy them.

Is the problem due to a lack of digestive fluids (gastric juices, bile) or enzymes? This one could imply bad microbiota and inflammatory undigested proteins? Causes: infection, nutrient deficiency or functional issue like a blocked bile-duct?

As this is my current craze, here are somes citations from papers on betaine that I've read recently:

I've also read how oxytocin and vasopressin could be involved in increasing "gastric and duodenum motility via OTR" (in rabbits) and regulating the phasic contraction of the gallbladder during the interdigestive period, which is thought "to be important in stirring the bile, facilitating the bile concentration and preventing the gallstone formation" (still in rabbits). I had also previously read how vasopressin could be involved in bile flow control in rats.

There are also studies during Ramadan showing how gastric acid pH is increased (but the study results might be biased because of all the habits that change during Ramadan).

Moral of the story: don't drink too much or at least between meals (and try to increase intermeal time?) and supplement betaine (which is itself an osmolyte which helps with dehydration)?

S-VV

Mutaflor or Symbioflor 2 as E. Coli probiotics
Cholestyramine and activated charcoal to adsorb LPS
Milk of magnesia or Cascara as prokinetic if necessary

OP
P

peateats1

If your gut's leaky it's because the gut lining is not healthy. Colonocytes get up to 90% of their energy from butyrate, which is produced by gut bacteria and found in certain foods. So if you're killing off gut bacteria, your only source is food, and that may not be enough.
Butyrate is something I hadn't come across, so thank you for posting this! Looking into it just now, it appears to be in higher concentrations in ghee. I'll try adding that to my diet and maybe look into supplementing too.

OP
P

peateats1

cholesterol, preg&prog, methylene blue, aspirin, and just to cover all the basics a good multivitamin. Sometimes it is better to take a multivitamin than trying to snipe some aspects that might make others worse.

As specific treatment something like megadosing vitamin c until noticeable diarrhea might be something that shifts the balance towards normal.
I've tried most of those supplements but didn't do so well with pregnenolone as it seemed to increase my estrogen symptoms. Aspirin and progesterone are definitely keepers though...,.methylene blue didn't cause any positive or negative effects for me so I stopped using it.
I'll definitely give the vitamin C a go. It would be helpful to clear stuff out, especially now that I've probably overdone the lactobacillus probiotics ?

OP
P

peateats1

Long term betaine supplementation.
Seems to be involved with bile acid production and immune system in the gut.
I'll look into this a bit more and maybe give it a try! I appreciate the studies, thank you for posting those!

OP
P

peateats1

Mutaflor or Symbioflor 2 as E. Coli probiotics
Cholestyramine and activated charcoal to adsorb LPS
Milk of magnesia or Cascara as prokinetic if necessary
I was wondering about using ecoli probiotics, thinking they might help, but I'm too chicken to try them so far lol. I was reading on this forum about people that have used them and had good results, so I may give them a go at some point.
I haven't tried those other supps, so will definitely look into them! Thank you!

Perry Staltic

Butyrate is something I hadn't come across, so thank you for posting this! Looking into it just now, it appears to be in higher concentrations in ghee. I'll try adding that to my diet and maybe look into supplementing too.

If you look into supplements, butyrate, butyric acid and butanoic acid are basically the same.

Daniil

Are you sure it's related to phages? Anything else? Any supplements?

I think that phages could destroy some bacteria and instead of them, other, more bad ones began to grow. Perhaps you should try some probiotic. Although Ray says that you need a sterile intestine, it is unlikely that this can be achieved. Even if there are no bacteria, there will be fungi like candida, etc. So I believe that the use of probiotics is justified, you just choose the lesser evil. I think intestinal permeability is the biggest problem that can be, because it causes everything else. However, someone has it, and someone does not. And there seems to be no solution to this problem on the forum. They offer supplements of vitamin A, D, B2, and large doses of C.

Bart1

Does anyone have a solution for this? My gut is constantly leaking endotoxin and I don't know how to fix this. It's pretty much destroyed my health.
This started right after I took bacteriophages in October of 2019. I had a stool test done and it looks fine for the most part. The only "bad" bacteria was detected in a throat swab I had done. It's enterobacter, which I'm currently treating with Bactrim. It's not helping my lps symptoms at all, so I don't think it's my main issue really.
I had a cyrex labs lps blood test done and it did show elevated endotoxin. Also, any time I'm active at all, even grocery shopping, I turn pale/yellowish, and look sickly, which I know is caused by endotoxins leaking into my blood stream.
So far I've tried xifaxan and other antibiotics to lower bacterial load which helps for a while sometimes, but then I'm back in the same inflamed boat. I've tried colostrum, gelatin, bone broth, suppressing my tsh to near zero, progesterone, niacinamide, multiple carrot salads per day, probiotics, aspirin, low iron(I didn't eat red meat for a year), sunbathing everyday for a whole summer, red light therapy, and nothing helps enough to end this nightmare. These things are keeping me from spiraling into severe health problems but they aren't fixing the root of it all.
Some things that have helped mildly are xifaxan, cyproheptadine, vitamin A(I seem to have a serious deficiency or something), and now vitamin E succinate(I just started this and it calms me so much)
My main symptoms are: purple/red extremities from poor circulation(like people with pots), high blood pressure and heart rate, chest and vein/vascular pain, poor muscle tone, low energy, depression, low body temp, low potassium (I'm guessing from elevated renin due to endotoxin poisoning), just overall feeling sick and fatigued, red angiomas appearing all over my skin, high prolactin and serotonin.
My diet is great.......cottage cheese(no gums), occasionally boiled spinach, boiled mushrooms, carrot salad, gelatin, oxtail bone broth, eggs, oj, coconut water, chocolate, etc.

So I guess with all that said, is there something I'm missing here? Do bacteriophages cause leaky gut permanently? I have zero ecoli in my intestines thanks to the phages....could that cause leaky gut? Do bacteriophages stay in the intestine forever? How do I fix this?
I’m in the same boat ☹️ Don’t have a solution though..

Jennifer

Is the cottage cheese cultured and if so, have you tried dairy that doesn’t contain bacterial cultures/isn’t fermented? Could you be sensitive to the gelatin (I’m thinking you meant the powdered kind?) or the starch and/or potential mycotoxins in the chocolate?

mostlylurking

For your consideration:
Although this article pertains specifically to Bactrim, many antibiotics along with many pharmaceutical drugs cause functional thiamine deficiency: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

You are showing the symptoms of gastrointestinal beriberi. Your gut is damaged, your ability to absorb thiamine is damaged, your ability to functionally utilize thiamine is damaged from the antibiotics. This does not just "go away" after some time has passed. You should investigate this issue. Here is an article: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

Sources for information:
also the search engine on this forum; search for "thiamine"

Here are a couple of videos for your consideration:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuIhjlFYYZY

and:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKmiZkiEPI