Bacteria in Raw Milk

Awellness

I really want to stick with raw milk due to increased nutritional profile/non denatured protein but I believe the bacteria present is too much for me. I get all the symptoms of bacterial overgrowth when I drink beyond a glass per day.... Hairy feeling tongue, bloat, constipation, nausea. I did remove some cream to make it around 2% fat. I don't get this feeling with pasteurized 2% Alexandre milk from Whole Foods but I don't love the idea of ultra pasteurized.

Any ideas on how to sterilize without pasteurizing? Couple drops of iodine? Drop of food grade H202?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Heat your raw milk to just below boiling at home and try. It should still be superior to what you get from the shelves.

Korven

Heat your raw milk to just below boiling at home and try. It should still be superior to what you get from the shelves.

+1

I've found that skimming raw milk and heating it up with some ginger and/or cardamom can help improve digestibility.

Dr. B

+1

I've found that skimming raw milk and heating it up with some ginger and/or cardamom can help improve digestibility.
what kind of heating, like how long and what temp? doesnt heating denature it and why does heating improve digestibility i thought raw milks supposed to be more digestible.

OP
A

Awellness

what kind of heating, like how long and what temp? doesnt heating denature it and why does heating improve digestibility i thought raw milks supposed to be more digestible.
I don't have the answer to your other questions but for some heating would improve digestibility by reducing the bacterial load for those who are prone to bacterial proliferation in their gut.

For me whenever I try something like yogurt, a probiotic, raw milk, ... initially I'm fine but after a couple days I can feel a major overgrowth in bacteria in my body which results in various predictable symptoms each time. Could be something like SIBO but essentially it feels like endotoxemia and too much of the wrong bacteria.

That's why I was inquiring about using something like one drop of food grade H2O2 in a 1/2 gallon of milk which could possibly preserve all the goodness but reduce the bacterial load for those of us who are sensitive. Clearly the issue is not the bacteria it's my lovely body :): I'm working on it

Dr. B

I don't have the answer to your other questions but for some heating would improve digestibility by reducing the bacterial load for those who are prone to bacterial proliferation in their gut.

For me whenever I try something like yogurt, a probiotic, raw milk, ... initially I'm fine but after a couple days I can feel a major overgrowth in bacteria in my body which results in various predictable symptoms each time. Could be something like SIBO but essentially it feels like endotoxemia and too much of the wrong bacteria.

That's why I was inquiring about using something like one drop of food grade H2O2 in a 1/2 gallon of milk which could possibly preserve all the goodness but reduce the bacterial load for those of us who are sensitive. Clearly the issue is not the bacteria it's my lovely body :): I'm working on it

interesting... with regards to hydrogen peroxide. how can that be lowered in the body as its toxic to cells?

ursidae

what’s the problem with denaturing when the hydrochloric acid does it anyway?

copper or silver vessels (probably not safe) and raw honey are antibacterial

Dr. B

why are copper and silver not safe

OP
A

Awellness

Good point. Thought heat denaturing with simultaneous destruction of enzymes and nutrients would be different than acid denaturing but perhaps all the same in the end

OP
A

Awellness

interesting... with regards to hydrogen peroxide. how can that be lowered in the body as its toxic to cells?
Would not think one drop in a gallon or half gallon would impact the body that much but something to consider

Dr. B

Good point. Thought heat denaturing with simultaneous destruction of enzymes and nutrients would be different than acid denaturing but perhaps all the same in the end
there may be some sort of heat denaturing in the body wouldnt there but i thought its different as youre absorbing the nutrients in your body its not like consuming an already denatured product, although, i think denatured proteins digest easier?

Pistachio

I really want to stick with raw milk due to increased nutritional profile/non denatured protein but I believe the bacteria present is too much for me. I get all the symptoms of bacterial overgrowth when I drink beyond a glass per day.... Hairy feeling tongue, bloat, constipation, nausea. I did remove some cream to make it around 2% fat. I don't get this feeling with pasteurized 2% Alexandre milk from Whole Foods but I don't love the idea of ultra pasteurized.

Any ideas on how to sterilize without pasteurizing? Couple drops of iodine? Drop of food grade H202?
Is it organic or grass-fed raw milk?

Cow's milk isn't really worth drinking if it isn't raw. If you can't tolerate it, I would switch to a nut milk or something.

T

TheBeard

That will denature the nutrients without killing the bacteria.

T

TheBeard

Cow's milk isn't really worth drinking if it isn't raw. If you can't tolerate it, I would switch to a nut milk or something.

Agree on milk having to be raw.
Completely disagree on replacing with nut milks. They are the worst food because of PUFA and Carrageenan, among other things.

Dr. B

Cow's milk isn't really worth drinking if it isn't raw. If you can't tolerate it, I would switch to a nut milk or something

Why is it not worth drinking if its not raw? isnt the milk being organic and 100% grass fed, 100% A2 much more important than it being raw and non homogenized?
arent nut milks very harmful from a Peat perspective, i thought theyre something that shouldnt be drank at all. not sure if they have much calcium and other nutrients.
raw milk vs pasteurized should be similar to cooked vs raw meats? Peat doesnt think raw milk offers much additional value but he seemed to be referring to the regular pasteurization where they heat it for 15 seconds at 161 degrees then quickly cool. whereas low temp pasteurized milks heat it at 145 degrees for 30 minutes and ultra pasteurized i think are like 280 degrees for 2 seconds.

Pistachio

Why is it not worth drinking if its not raw? isnt the milk being organic and 100% grass fed, 100% A2 much more important than it being raw and non homogenized?
arent nut milks very harmful from a Peat perspective, i thought theyre something that shouldnt be drank at all. not sure if they have much calcium and other nutrients.
raw milk vs pasteurized should be similar to cooked vs raw meats? Peat doesnt think raw milk offers much additional value but he seemed to be referring to the regular pasteurization where they heat it for 15 seconds at 161 degrees then quickly cool. whereas low temp pasteurized milks heat it at 145 degrees for 30 minutes and ultra pasteurized i think are like 280 degrees for 2 seconds.
Pasteurization (that fraud Louis Pasteur) destroys too much of the enzymes and good bacteria in the process.

I understand that PUFAs aren't tolerated here, but listen to your body. If you do well drink hemp or oat milk, then continue. You could always make your own, too, which would avoid the fillers.

Dr. B

Pasteurization (that fraud Louis Pasteur) destroys too much of the enzymes and good bacteria in the process.

I understand that PUFAs aren't tolerated here, but listen to your body. If you do well drink hemp or oat milk, then continue. You could always make your own, too, which would avoid the fillers.
it does destroy enzymes but also cooks, denatures some of the protein which should make it more digestible, similar to cooked vs raw meat? also i thought theres no such thing as good bacteria, even good ones are actually bad, you should have a sterile gut?

Ben.

I don't drink nut milk and i'd have to be honest i need to check the entire process chain for that type of product to know /decide wether it is "good" or not. But as TheBeard said theres usually ***t added to all the pufa nut milks. Something that i'd like to try tho is coconut milk and adding sugar or something else because the taste on its own is hard to get used to. They always combine it with additives and rice milk. Most brands do ...

Pasteurization from my experience is not as bad as advertised, tho i refuse to buy ultra heated milk. Taste usually tells me which milk is good for me and it also differentiates not just by processing but also brand.

I drank raw milk fresh from a farmer once and i'd have to agree ... it was amazing ... only a wierd feeling in my head afterwards concerned me. I didn't get the chance to drink something that good again to test if it is realy problematic or not.

Makes me wonder ... if there is a "traditional" way to "process" the milk to make it more nutritious/digestable like it is the case with nixtamalization, sourdough etc....
But perhaps drinking it raw is the traditional method (duh) ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals