Backpacking Foods

Buddo

Greetings everybody. I’m new to the form and this is my first post. I’m new to eating with the principles from repeat but I’m enjoying it very much after having been on the low carb carnivore diet for years. I’m going backpacking with my boys I was wondering what would be the best energy providing meals. A lot of backpacking food or cheap starches like pasta and granola bars and grill raisins and peanuts. Avoiding the nuts in the starches, what would be some good trail snacking food or meals I could prepare that would Be balanceed in macro nutrients while providing enough energy for backpacking question thanks.

schultz

I'd probably bring powdered milk. 25g equals 1 cup of milk. A kilogram would give you 40 cups of milk, or 10 litres approximately. @ 2 litres a day that would give 5 days worth along with 66g of protein and nearly 100g of carbohydrates per day.

On top of that I would bring gelatin, sugar and instant coffee (I currently drink the 'premium' Tim Hortons brand. I switched from Nescafe 'Taster's Choice' which is also good. The Nescafe Tasters Choice decaf is probably the best tasting instant IMO)

Coffee would supply you with minerals (magnesium, potassium) and a small amount of vitamins as well.

Those potato flakes might be worth considering. Not sure if they are recommended or not but I'd probably bring them because they actually taste pretty good (especially when you've been hiking all day). Bring some coconut oil and salt to add to it and if your gelatin is hydrolyzed you can add that to the potatoes.

Beef jerky.

It's hiking food so it's not going to be as ideal as eating fresh food but it's still decent.

Raisins maybe? Most dried fruit doesn't agree with me but raisins I do. Those 'yogurt' covered raisins usually have a layer of hydrogenated oils on them. Bonus!

Edit: I'd probably bring a bottle of Energin (liquid b vitamins) as you'll be eating a lot of refined foods. Unless you are able to forage for leaves and make a broth or something...

Last edited:

TradClare

we take jerky, dates, prunes, and dark chocolate. Also, fresh coconut is amazing energy and refreshing but kind of a pain to crack and chop. Last time I was at Costco they had a dehydrated pineapple and coconut combo that would be good. Costco sometimes has some good finds like that and then they disappear

OP
B

Buddo

Thanks for the replies. I also found other threads asking this after I posted my question. Leaving tomorrow for the weekend. I’ll put that into practice. Thanks!

equipoise

I think gelatine is your best friend, orange juice jelatine recipe. White bread not bad aaswell, tons of dark chocolate. Coffee absolutely like @schultz said.
Beef jerky is an USA thing, pretty good I've heard. Beef jerky here is overpriced and full of additives.

schultz

we take jerky, dates, prunes, and dark chocolate. Also, fresh coconut is amazing energy and refreshing but kind of a pain to crack and chop. Last time I was at Costco they had a dehydrated pineapple and coconut combo that would be good. Costco sometimes has some good finds like that and then they disappear

Oh yah, I forgot about dates. I'd definitely bring dates.

I think gelatine is your best friend, orange juice jelatine recipe. White bread not bad aaswell, tons of dark chocolate. Coffee absolutely like @schultz said.
Beef jerky is an USA thing, pretty good I've heard. Beef jerky here is overpriced and full of additives.

Chocolate is a good idea too.

Beef jerky I'd make myself. I used to make it all the time when I was a kid. I'd go to the butcher and ask for a big eye of round with very little fat on it. Strange thing for a kid to do now that I am thinking back on it lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals