Babies

HDD

"Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vegetables.shtml

My daughter's midwife told her that avocado is a good first food for babies and a friend recently shared how her baby loves avocado. I was talking to her about the benefits of coconut oil at the time. I can only imagine how crazy she would think I was if I told her that avocado could be carcinogenic.

This disturbs me. :(

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Haagendazendiane said:
"Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic."

My daughter's midwife told her that avocado is a good first food for babies and a friend recently shared how her baby loves avocado. I was talking to her about the benefits of coconut oil at the time. I can only imagine how crazy she would think I was if I told her that avocado could be carcinogenic.

This disturbs me. :(
I'm sorry. It disturbs me too and reminds me of a family member who gives his toddlers DHA enriched milk thinking it's a good choice because it's Horizon Organic brand. We need to get back to common sense with children I think. I'm sure they prefer sweets for a reason. Maybe someone has a tip on how to convince family and friends not to poison their children. I haven't yet perfected that skill.

Mittir

Avocado oil has 14 percent PUFA and about 13 percent omega-6.
Olive has about 11 percent PUFA. RP is talking about high percentage
of PUFA compared to suet, butter and coconut oil. But, compared to soy oil,
corn oil, cotton seed oil avocado is not that bad.

I think selling butter is quite difficult after decades of propaganda.
I use butter use in French Cuisine and their good health as a selling point.
Coconut oil has become quite popular thanks to Ray Peat. It is not difficult
to convince someone on eating coconut oil. They can easily see millions
of on line testimonials.

Human milk has about 10 percent PUFA. 50 percent saturated fat and 40
percent MUFA. I think people will be more receptive to butter if they
are aware of milk fat's composition. I wonder if PUFA consumption causes
human milk to be so high in PUFA compared to cow's milk. Human milk has
a lot of CLA and other undifferentiated form as PUFA, which RP thinks beneficial.

OP
H

HDD

The diet of the mother influences the fatty acids in the milk. I try to encourage my daughter to eat more coconut oil to hopefully balance the pufa that she consumes. She does cook with it but she buys the Annies organic salad dressings that are horrible. She wants to lose weight so she would view butter as fattening.

Her nurse that she goes to for her baby is having her supplement the baby with coconut oil. She is having breastfeeding problems. Her baby has an upper lip problem that interferes with nursing so she has not gained the weight that she should have. I am not sure if the nurse is having her supplement the co for calories or to help with bowel movement which had decreased.

sarahevebee

Blossom said:
I'm sure they prefer sweets for a reason. Maybe someone has a tip on how to convince family and friends not to poison their children. I haven't yet perfected that skill.

:yeahthat

This reminds me of the "how do I get my child to eat vegetables?" question that is so common! I think a baby's body probably knows best...they haven't been bombarded with bad diet advice like us adults! But if I told my friends that, they would look at me crazy.

LucyL

sarahevebee said:
This reminds me of the "how do I get my child to eat vegetables?" question that is so common! I think a baby's body probably knows best...they haven't been bombarded with bad diet advice like us adults! But if I told my friends that, they would look at me crazy.

sarahevebee, with an infant weaning in your future, you may enjoy this little gem of a study from 1928... It does indeed show that a baby's body knows enough to keep it healthy :):

Self Selection of Diet by Newly Weaned Infants

sarahevebee

Love that study! Found myself smiling and laughing a bit while reading :) So excited to watch my little one wean herself (but am willing to wait, as I am in love with this present stage!)

sarahevebee

HDD - How is your daughter's baby doing? How is your daughter doing? Eating more coconut oil? Breastfeeding going ok?

lindsay

I would way rather see a mom feeding her baby avocado (because it's a real food) rather than processed soy milk or baby formula. Some babies really like avocado (like my niece). I used to eat loads of avocado in my 20's and was very lean. I don't really think it's so terrible and it's very tasty. Besides, avocado is usually grown in Mexico, which means it might not be so PUFA laden as people think.

But yes, the saturated fats would be more ideal for anybody. I know my friend's baby used to love coconut milk - that could be a good place to start. Her husband is Mexican and started feeding their son coconut milk from age one or so. I would just use homemade coconut milk, as most store bought brands have some sort of nasties in them.

Anyhow, I don't have kids, so this will be no good reference point for anyone with children. But I wouldn't be afraid of feeding a little avocado every now and again to my baby if they liked it. Obviously, if they hated it, I wouldn't bother.

P.S. My niece was very underweight from digestive issues as a baby and my brother's wife was frantically trying to fatten her up with the avocado - but while I was visiting, I introduced my niece to FAGE yogurt and she loved it. Get the Total FAGE and it's another good fat/protein source.

LucyL said:
sarahevebee said:

sarahevebee, with an infant weaning in your future, you may enjoy this little gem of a study from 1928... It does indeed show that a baby's body knows enough to keep it healthy :):

Self Selection of Diet by Newly Weaned Infants

Radiant! I bet Ray Peat would love that.

OP
H

HDD

sarahevebee said:
HDD - How is your daughter's baby doing? How is your daughter doing? Eating more coconut oil? Breastfeeding going ok?
Hi Sarah,
My granddaughter is doing wonderful! Thank you for asking. The upper lip problem was resolved with a minor office procedure and by using a breast shield while breastfeeding. Hazel is gaining weight beautifully and is such a delight! My daughter does not have a lot of milk so it is a concern since she needs to work. She does not want to introduce foods yet. She is considering supplementing with a small amount of bone broth. I did some research and have read low thyroid can cause a problem with milk supply. She is not following a specific diet but just started taking Progest-e and says she will take t3. My concern is that her diet will not support these. She recently had a blood sugar episode that put her out for a few hours. Fortunately, my husband was able to leave work to care for her baby during this episode.

How are you doing and how is your little one?

lindsay

That study was a big hit on Peatarian months ago :) A very interesting one.

OP
H

HDD

References from

Ann Nutr Metab 1991;35(5):253-60. Effect of dietary avocado oils on hepatic collagen metabolism. Wermam MJ, Mokady S, Neeman I Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa. The effect of various avocado and soybean oils on collagen metabolism in the liver was studied in growing female rats for 8 weeks and in day-old chicks for 1 week. In comparison with rats fed either refined avocado oil, refined or unrefined soybean oils, rats fed unrefined avocado oil showed a significant decrease in total collagen solubility in the liver, while there were no changes in total collagen, protein and moisture content. Chicks fed unrefined avocado oil as compared to those fed refined avocado oil also showed a decrease in hepatic total soluble collagen while hepatic total collagen remained unaffected. Electron micrographs and light-microscope examinations of rats' liver revealed collagen accumulation in the periportal location. This is suggestive of the early stages of fibrosis.

In Vivo 1998 Nov-Dec;12(6):675-89. Comparative anticancer effects of vaccination and dietary factors on experimentally-induced cancers. Zusman I Laboratory of Teratology and Experimental Oncology, ....
..... Experiments in mammary glands cancer showed that a 15% olive-oil diet reduced significantly the tumor incidence caused by 9,10-dimethyl-1,2-benzanthracene. The antitumor effect of the olive-oil diet was connected to its content of monounsaturated fatty acids, such as oleic and palmitic acids. The promotive tumorigenic effects of other high-fat diets (avocado, soybeans) were associated with high content of some polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic and alpha-linolenic). Different diets have different targets. The effect of the same diet depends on its anti-tumor substances content. CONCLUSIONS: Vaccination and some diets have similar mechanism in their tumor-preventive

I now avoid avocado and think it might be more detrimental to an infant.

OP
H

HDD

Early detection
Because of the possibility of intellectual disability in infants with hypothyroidism, every state in the United States tests newborns for hypothyroidism. If your baby was not born in a hospital, or if you believe your baby may not have been tested, talk to your doctor. Screening tests for hypothyroidism are not always accurate. Even if test results show no problem, watch your child for symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as poor appetite, not gaining weight, and dry skin.
http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/hypothyro ... -and-tests

As they report and as we have learned from Ray Peat, the blood tests will not necessarily indicate hypothyroidism. If an infant has sub clinical hypothyroidism, would unsaturated fats be even more harmful? Previously, I mentioned a young mother (my daughter's friend)that is feeding her now almost 12 month old avocado. Since she told me this, her baby has had several seizures. I don't know if there is a connection to her diet but I came across this.

Ray Peat said:
Although thyroid, progesterone, and a high quality protein diet will generally correct the epilepsy problem, it is important to mention that the involvement of unsaturated fats and free radicals in seizure physiology implies that we should minimize our consumption of the unsaturated fats. Even years after eliminating them from the diet, their release from tissue storage can prolong the problem, and during that time the use of vitamin E is likely to reduce the intensity and frequency of seizures. Coconut oil lowers the requirement for vitamin E, and reduces the toxicity of the unsaturated fats (see Cleland, et al.), favoring effective respiration and improving thyroid and progesterone production

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... n-seizures

tara

Nice finds, HDD.

natedawggh

My sister took DHA while she was pregnant. I told her not to, but she did anyway. Then, when her son began eating solid food she also fed him avocado every day. I told her also not to do that. I could tell he was sickly, because he always had puffy under-eyes, which were slightly purple.

When he was 18 months old he lost his balance and hit his head, and thought it wasn't severe he kept complaining about the injury, so his parents took him to the hospital and it turned out he had a brain tumor the size of an apple. It was enormous. He had surgery right away and fortunately it was not malignant. My sister realized she had been wrong and now avoids all those foods. Thankfully he has made a full recovery, but they could have been much less lucky.

Also...in a complication from the surgery, the IV damaged the tissue in his arm, which actually took much longer to heal than the tumor operation, and this was also probably effected by the level of PUFAs in his body.

sarahevebee

HDD said:
Hi Sarah,
My granddaughter is doing wonderful! Thank you for asking. The upper lip problem was resolved with a minor office procedure and by using a breast shield while breastfeeding. Hazel is gaining weight beautifully and is such a delight! My daughter does not have a lot of milk so it is a concern since she needs to work. She does not want to introduce foods yet. She is considering supplementing with a small amount of bone broth. I did some research and have read low thyroid can cause a problem with milk supply. She is not following a specific diet but just started taking Progest-e and says she will take t3. My concern is that her diet will not support these. She recently had a blood sugar episode that put her out for a few hours. Fortunately, my husband was able to leave work to care for her baby during this episode.

How are you doing and how is your little one?

I'm so glad little Hazel is nursing well :) There is nothing more satisfying than watching your breastmilk nourish a little baby into a big chubster :D Your daughter must feel much better about that.
What happened with your daughter's blood sugar episode? Was it a hypoglycemia type thing? I've had hypoglycemic attacks for many years, until I found Peat...but it can be so difficult getting adequate calories and nutrition while taking care of an infant...I've started to experience some irritability and dizziness creep up on me if I don't eat every couple hours.
And I also started taking Progest-e, but I'm afraid I need a much bigger dose and that my diet may not support it very well either...Recently my hair began shedding...and I'm also worried about my thyroid. Did your daughter get a precription for t3? I really want to order some cynomel but my SO thinks I should get a Rx from a real doctor and stop 'playing doctor.' Sigh.
I am producing a lot of milk, though...I used to have to pump every morning to relieve my poor breasts...but it became a viscious cylce, as I think the pumping was increasing my supply even more! I wonder if pumping in between a feeding or two would help your daughter? It might trick her body into thinking Hazel needs more milk :)

sarahevebee

natedawggh said:
My sister took DHA while she was pregnant. I told her not to, but she did anyway. Then, when her son began eating solid food she also fed him avocado every day. I told her also not to do that. I could tell he was sickly, because he always had puffy under-eyes, which were slightly purple.

When he was 18 months old he lost his balance and hit his head, and thought it wasn't severe he kept complaining about the injury, so his parents took him to the hospital and it turned out he had a brain tumor the size of an apple. It was enormous. He had surgery right away and fortunately it was not malignant. My sister realized she had been wrong and now avoids all those foods. Thankfully he has made a full recovery, but they could have been much less lucky.

Also...in a complication from the surgery, the IV damaged the tissue in his arm, which actually took much longer to heal than the tumor operation, and this was also probably effected by the level of PUFAs in his body.

EEK! I'm glad your nephew recovered from that!

OP
H

HDD

sarahevebee said:
What happened with your daughter's blood sugar episode? Was it a hypoglycemia type thing? I've had hypoglycemic attacks for many years, until I found Peat...but it can be so difficult getting adequate calories and nutrition while taking care of an infant...I've started to experience some irritability and dizziness creep up on me if I don't eat every couple hours.
And I also started taking Progest-e, but I'm afraid I need a much bigger dose and that my diet may not support it very well either...Recently my hair began shedding...and I'm also worried about my thyroid. Did your daughter get a precription for t3? I really want to order some cynomel but my SO thinks I should get a Rx from a real doctor and stop 'playing doctor.' Sigh.
I am producing a lot of milk, though...I used to have to pump every morning to relieve my poor breasts...but it became a viscious cylce, as I think the pumping was increasing my supply even more! I wonder if pumping in between a feeding or two would help your daughter? It might trick her body into thinking Hazel needs more milk

Yes, it was a hypoglycemia episode. She has had them for many years but hasn't found Peat. :( A coffee/donut breakfast threw her off and so she ate eggs which ultimately made it worse. Once she bottoms out I don't know what can stop her from passing out? I used to work with a diabetic that kept a snickers candy bar in his desk drawer for emergencies. I wonder if that might be an option? Have you had any experiences where you pass out?

Hair loss is one of the reasons my daughter is taking the Progest-e and she has taken a little of my t3 that I purchased online. She thought the progesterone might have increased her milk supply but she thinks it also could be from pumping. Her hair loss has not stopped. How much Progest-e do you think you need? My daughter has many hypo symptoms but isn't keen on hearing about the thyroid.