Babies Know Best

squanch

LpGLSmB.jpg

"But it's so good for their brains, I read online!"

Oh yeah, force-feed the youth right out of that creature...

pboy

people really need to on a large scale drop the whole no pain no gain thing. It starts with religion...repress natural urges for joy, become a slave, and you're a 'better person'....translates to food, excersize, and all else people do. Vegetables aren't even meant to be a human food, most of the ones in the store that people eat...unless its like a really light lettuce or something. Broccoli is one of the worst vegetables, it actually is calcium negative, so its like why even eat it, it has inhibitors and goitrogens and stuff, taste bad. 'oh I read its good for the brain'....sigh....how about letting your palate tell you

what those paretns are doing there is actually like evil...to be realistic. Theyre basically poisoning the baby even tho it clearly doesn't want to eat that...theyre like 'is it really that bad?!? but I read online its good for your brain' ...the baby is thinking ...dude, I dotn care what kind of bull**** you've accumulated throughout your life, this stuff is nasty, get that out of my face

At about 0:45 you can see the natural taste being warped forever :cool:

marsaday

Can anyone tell me what is good for the baby like this. I am in the same situation and eating is a bit of a struggle with my 14 month old. We do a big variety, but as time goes on she is sort of getting worse at eating.

She likes bread, but now hates breakfast baby porridge which we make with full milk.

Any tips

tara

I had not read any of Peat's writing when mine were that age.
So I tried to get mine to eat what I used to think was good.
Eventually I realised that nutrition was a lot more full of controversy than I had thought, and started to let them have more of a say.
One of mine wanted oat porridge with milk powder. The younger (age 2-3) would say he wanted porridge, but what he meant was a pile of skim milk powder surrounded by a moat of fresh milk. Sometimes with raisins. I wasn't convinced it was the best food at the time, but I figured I was glad he was eating, and hoped he knew what he was doing.
Pureed meat went down quite well at the age of the one in the picture.
Mine have loved fruit juice jelly all along.
Sometimes fruit and milk smoothies.

One of mine still wants lots of bread, and since he is rake thin, I don't argue much.

They guzzle down juice drinks with HFCS, artificial flavours and more and ask for seconds. So it must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'

SQu

I agree pboy and keep finding out the hard way through personal experience.
My friend's daughter would eat literally nothing for several years, from about 3-6, but the frosting on commercial cupcakes. Drank very milky weak sugary tea. She was very thin. But her mother had been skinny as a child too and understood her. Both perfectly well throughout in spite of doctors freaking out. And absolutely fine now.
My daughter's friend, same build, lives on sweets and is in perfect health. But the doc has given her pills to cause weight gain. Can only be something estrogenic. What a pity.

OP
A

Anonymous

cantstoppeating said:
They guzzle down juice drinks with HFCS, artificial flavours and more and ask for seconds. So it must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'

Classic straw man fallacy with your logic.

You are missing the point. Give them foods that actually existed 200 years ago and see what they decide.

Zachs

I can't find that study done about the three babies who got to pick all their own foods but that was super interesting if anyone can find it.

Amazoniac

What impresses me in this study is the fact that many people nowadays have to find ways to mask the taste of organ meats; yet, they appear frequently as a free choice from this babies..
It made me remember of one comment made by Ray Peat, that eating a larger portion of organ meats like liver once in a week is just a matter of convenience, instead of small portions each day (in the case of the study).

JRMoney15 said:
cantstoppeating said:

You are missing the point. Give them foods that actually existed 200 years ago and see what they decide.

There exists berries and other plant food, in nature, that tastes sweet yet has very toxic effects.

Feed them to a baby and they'd happily signal for more. They'd be lucky to survive.

But hang on, since the baby liked the taste and ate them, they must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'

Blinkyrocket

cantstoppeating said:
JRMoney15 said:
cantstoppeating said:

There exists berries and other plant food, in nature, that tastes sweet yet has very toxic effects.

Feed them to a baby and they'd happily signal for more. They'd be lucky to survive.

But hang on, since the baby liked the taste and ate them, they must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'
Obviously, we understand there are some things we can't explicitly taste like the poison in a mushroom. But cats don't have taste bud or centers in the brain to be able to taste bitter or sweet things and therefore never go out looking nice for anything that contains carbs because cats just don't eat carbs. Humans do eat carbs, if it's sweet, it's good.

Zachs

Cats also lick up anti freeze, is anti freeze good for cats? Cause cats know best....

/sarcasm to CSP. ;)

Blinkyrocket said:
cantstoppeating said:
JRMoney15 said:
cantstoppeating said:

Obviously, we understand there are some things we can't explicitly taste like the poison in a mushroom. ...

Oh OK, so babies know best until they can't obviously taste the poison in a mushroom. Any more exceptions you care to add to 'babies know best...'?

And besides, cats also lick up anti-freeze, is anti-freeze good for cats? cause cats know best... ;-)