Babies Know Best

Blinkyrocket

cantstoppeating said:
Blinkyrocket said:
cantstoppeating said:
JRMoney15 said:
cantstoppeating said:
They guzzle down juice drinks with HFCS, artificial flavours and more and ask for seconds. So it must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'

Classic straw man fallacy with your logic.

You are missing the point. Give them foods that actually existed 200 years ago and see what they decide.

There exists berries and other plant food, in nature, that tastes sweet yet has very toxic effects.

Feed them to a baby and they'd happily signal for more. They'd be lucky to survive.

But hang on, since the baby liked the taste and ate them, they must be healthy, right? After all, 'babies know best...'
Obviously, we understand there are some things we can't explicitly taste like the poison in a mushroom. ...

Oh OK, so babies know best until they can't obviously taste the poison in a mushroom. Any more exceptions you care to add to 'babies know best...'?

And besides, cats also lick up anti-freeze, is anti-freeze good for cats? cause cats know best... ;-)
............. where's the study that shows cats lick anti-freeze since studies are the only proof ;)

Blinkyrocket

I'm just about done with this diet bullcrap, if it doesn't taste good I'm not putting it in my mouth. Why live a long miserable life when you can live a short happy one? Fortunately, it doesn't usually work that way, nature gives us a way out by making stress BAD for us, so basically stress ending our lives quicker is a mercy.

Blinkyrocket

In the study that was probably in this thread, the most reached for food was usually milk, maybe baby does know best, until of course you say extremely stupid and irrelevant stuff like baby might eat a poisonous berry when obviously that berry's purpose is to FOOL you, should we criticize birds that fly into that one huge bird eating flower now? If we knew EVERYTHING, than the sinister parasites and poisons wouldn't have a purpose.

tara

Blinkyrocket said:
I'm just about done with this diet bullcrap, if it doesn't taste good I'm not putting it in my mouth.
That's one of the things I like so much about Peat's diet ideas - he doesn't suggest I eat anything that doesn't taste good to me.

pboy

the truest peat fashion, well...my point of view, is that anything goes. The quicker we realize what the situation is, and of people, the better we can do something about it. Censorship is just prolonging or hiding something that need be dealt with, or obscuring speech of how someone thinks and feels (I know its forum rules, im just giving a kinda of peatesque perspective of it).

I read once about an ancient roman or greek holiday where people would all dress up and where masks and the idea was people could go around that night insulting, or basically, just saying whatever they wanted cause it was all anonymous, didn't have to be insults, could be just anything they thought others might put them down for, or just acting a fool. Its a huge good excersize. Can you imagine like...10 anonymous people that you knew lived in your village going up to you and saying how they really felt? That person would be like..hurt, and try to be a better person, especially cause they couldn't just vilify someone else..like they didn't know who it was. Epic. The point im trying to make is...lay it all out there, realize...if you really want to help and understand people you have to understand the truth of them, its not something bad, its actually a more caring thing to let people let loose and still be caring anyways. Who hasn't at some point in their life been in a bad mood, or rightfully or unrightfully, had bad things to say or think? Humans gotta understand and accept humans. Whatever Blinky said, he clearly like...if you put him and that guy in a room and it was just the 2 of them and they were given a task, they'd probly cooperate and be friendly. I dunno, its basically whatever. I think anytime someone has a chance to say anything basically that they are compelled to its actually ...you're doing a good thing. Be a good listener, and try to understand, or if you're wise, you will understand, its not a try thing
And also, if you know who you are as a person, you live each day in a way you're proud of..like really though, then first of all no one will even insult you, and if anyone does...you can see them as just stressed or something, non understanding, it doesn't actually affect how you feel.

No kids frequent a Peat forum right? all old enough peeps here

Who really is offended by someone saying something like was said above? Like im not going to go wash my eyes out or something, lol. To heal, to help, for us to grow and widen understanding and perspective, you gotta be comfortable with wherever people are and still have the same good intent towards them, and realize that at some points in your life you might have been in that state and would have liked someone to be understanding and not judge you, not make you feel worse as a person. Everyone wants to be the best person, not hurt anyones feelings, if they knew how.

Ideally insults aren't the best way, no doubt, but its not like a big deal or something unusual for most people to ...rather...look, it definitely indicates a problem, but considering the state of most peoples lives, environment, society, all that...its kind of to be expected, and its better to be caring and always positive despite if someone has an outburst than to try to punish them or in some way shape or form make it seem like their natural inclination at the time was wrong.

I dunno, you all can ignore me if you want

If you insulted someone, and they remained caring and were peaceful about it and still treated you well back, you couldn't help but to not ever want to insult them again. If someone insutls someone, and it gets brushed under the rug or censored, it just builds up more resentment and they'll likely do it again, perhaps in a harsher way...the tension building. Leave what he wrote up there, then tomorrow when he comes back in a better mood, he'll see what he wrote, and be like dam that was kind of an **** hole thing to say, and correlate it to...oh it was just the mood I was in, and start developing some level or mental awareness of how mood effects outlook and how you behave, and therefore a desire to develop a level of control

schultz

My daughter loves liver. She is 20 months old.

I've never made her eat anything she didn't want to. Not counting milk, her favourite foods are cheese, fruit and meat. She loves mango and cherimoya right now especially (who doesnt!?). She also likes oysters, but doesn't seem to care for fish that much surprisingly... probably because steak and liver taste so much better.

Amazoniac

schultz said:

I've never made her eat anything she didn't want to. Not counting milk, her favourite foods are cheese, fruit and meat. She loves mango and cherimoya right now especially (who doesnt!?). She also likes oysters, but doesn't seem to care for fish that much surprisingly... probably because steak and liver taste so much better.

Do you think that she would eat them even if they were raw?
I always wondered if there's any benefit from the burnt layer of dry-heat cooked meats..

schultz

Amazoniac said:
schultz said:

Do you think that she would eat them even if they were raw?
I always wondered if there's any benefit from the burnt layer of dry-heat cooked meats..

I'm not sure, I've never given her raw meat before (though she loves poison berries!! :shock: ). I usually don't burn my meat, just a quick sear on each side in oil. The benefit is that it kills harmful pathogens and makes it taste better. I don't eat food that doesn't taste good.

mt_dreams

Babies don't know best, surely there's 100's of examples of this. What they do like is sweet things. Most parents at one point or another have have had to tell their children they can't have sugar (or that they've had enough sugar). They have had to do this b/c kids will desire to eat sugar in large amounts, levels a typical adult would think is unhealthy.

I never tasted an avocado until I was in my late teens, and I'm pretty sure I had the same facial reaction

mt_dreams said:
Babies don't know best, surely there's 100's of examples of this. What they do like is sweet things. Most parents at one point or another have have had to tell their children they can't have sugar (or that they've had enough sugar). They have had to do this b/c kids will desire to eat sugar in large amounts, levels a typical adult would think is unhealthy.

I never tasted an avocado until I was in my late teens, and I'm pretty sure I had the same facial reaction

Yes, hummingbirds tend to have that vice as well, it's so hard to train them for proper Bulletproof Coffee technique.

tara

Mine both liked avocado - never forced to eat it. One of them would steal pieces of raw steak from the chopping board while I was preparing for a stir fry.

My guess is that the problems with youngsters being able to select a healthy diet for themselves arise mainly with the introduction of fake food - ie non-food chemicals like artificial flavourings and colourings that are deliberately engineered to deceive the senses, possibly with heavily refined foods that may run them out micronutrients, and with them being subjected to the confusions of adults about food.

Tom

Amazoniac said:
Are you looking for the work of Clara M Davis?
http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/epidemiol ... is1928.pdf

Very interesting study, thanks for posting!

From the conclusion:

"The immediate results appear to be equal at least to the best results obtained by commonly prescribed diets in growth, weight, bone development, musculature, general vigor and appearance of health and well-being."

"They were able from the first to select their own foods from a list of simple natural ones and in quantities sufficient to maintain themselves with apparently optimal digestive and good (as far as immediate results could be judged) nutritional results. They were omnivorous and eating were governed not only by their caloric needs, but showed definite preferences, which however, changed from time to time and were unpredictable."

Looking at the average diet of the three children first 6 months and scaling it up to 2500 kcal, the approximate daily intake of food items would roughly be as follows:

3/4 quart whole milk (raw)
1/4 quart whole yogurt
200 gm meats (50% muscle meat, 35% organs, 15% seafoods)
2 large eggs
5 (?) gm gelatine (100 gm "bone jelly")
700 gm fruits
100 gm potatoes
50 gm tomatoes
50 gm other vegetables
whole grains to supply 60 gm carbs
bone marrow to supply 40 gm fats (very high in monounsaturated fats)

I think this is very close to optimal (I am actually eating very similar to this). And it just makes the point of the uselessness of all these diets around. In the end the body knows better than any expert. And most experts are corrupted by corporate interests anyway, so they can never be fully trusted.

Maybe this diet or approach could be a kind of "a diet to end all dieting", an approach that "just works". Listen to your body and eat whatever you want from traditional foods, and use some common sense. Don´t take supplements. Don´t be obsessed with food. That´s it.

Now we can just move on and do something else.

Blinkyrocket

pboy said:
the truest peat fashion, well...my point of view, is that anything goes. The quicker we realize what the situation is, and of people, the better we can do something about it. Censorship is just prolonging or hiding something that need be dealt with, or obscuring speech of how someone thinks and feels (I know its forum rules, im just giving a kinda of peatesque perspective of it).

I read once about an ancient roman or greek holiday where people would all dress up and where masks and the idea was people could go around that night insulting, or basically, just saying whatever they wanted cause it was all anonymous, didn't have to be insults, could be just anything they thought others might put them down for, or just acting a fool. Its a huge good excersize. Can you imagine like...10 anonymous people that you knew lived in your village going up to you and saying how they really felt? That person would be like..hurt, and try to be a better person, especially cause they couldn't just vilify someone else..like they didn't know who it was. Epic. The point im trying to make is...lay it all out there, realize...if you really want to help and understand people you have to understand the truth of them, its not something bad, its actually a more caring thing to let people let loose and still be caring anyways. Who hasn't at some point in their life been in a bad mood, or rightfully or unrightfully, had bad things to say or think? Humans gotta understand and accept humans. Whatever Blinky said, he clearly like...if you put him and that guy in a room and it was just the 2 of them and they were given a task, they'd probly cooperate and be friendly. I dunno, its basically whatever. I think anytime someone has a chance to say anything basically that they are compelled to its actually ...you're doing a good thing. Be a good listener, and try to understand, or if you're wise, you will understand, its not a try thing
And also, if you know who you are as a person, you live each day in a way you're proud of..like really though, then first of all no one will even insult you, and if anyone does...you can see them as just stressed or something, non understanding, it doesn't actually affect how you feel.

No kids frequent a Peat forum right? all old enough peeps here

Who really is offended by someone saying something like was said above? Like im not going to go wash my eyes out or something, lol. To heal, to help, for us to grow and widen understanding and perspective, you gotta be comfortable with wherever people are and still have the same good intent towards them, and realize that at some points in your life you might have been in that state and would have liked someone to be understanding and not judge you, not make you feel worse as a person. Everyone wants to be the best person, not hurt anyones feelings, if they knew how.

Ideally insults aren't the best way, no doubt, but its not like a big deal or something unusual for most people to ...rather...look, it definitely indicates a problem, but considering the state of most peoples lives, environment, society, all that...its kind of to be expected, and its better to be caring and always positive despite if someone has an outburst than to try to punish them or in some way shape or form make it seem like their natural inclination at the time was wrong.

I dunno, you all can ignore me if you want

If you insulted someone, and they remained caring and were peaceful about it and still treated you well back, you couldn't help but to not ever want to insult them again. If someone insutls someone, and it gets brushed under the rug or censored, it just builds up more resentment and they'll likely do it again, perhaps in a harsher way...the tension building. Leave what he wrote up there, then tomorrow when he comes back in a better mood, he'll see what he wrote, and be like dam that was kind of an **** hole thing to say, and correlate it to...oh it was just the mood I was in, and start developing some level or mental awareness of how mood effects outlook and how you behave, and therefore a desire to develop a level of control
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently, our thought processes seem to be similar in philosophy (don't get offended, I concede that I'm crazier than you). The way I came to this conclusion is when I figured out I was miserable when I tried hiding my anger and found out I'd much rather destroy a relationship than hold it in. I agree that a huge part of my anger has come from wishing other ppl would react differently to the way I act. I guess all those movies in which someone actually approached the poor ole lonely kid made me think I didn't have to do anything to make a friend, and because of that I don't even know how to make or have a friend, and that's stuff you're supposed to learn as a kid cuz your ability to learn decreases as you age so oh well.

I have never once regretted hurting someone's feelings though, it feels like justice. If I'm me, and hurting THEIR feelings is wrong because it hurts them then what happens if I'm hurt? Since when has having an argument led to a worse outcome than not having the argument? Every argument or fight I've ever had has ended with forgiveness and forgetting what the whole thing was even about but only when the argument was let continue for a long time until eventually we actually started realizing we agreed on lots of stuff. The only bad outcomes I've had with ppl are with my brother, because the argument was stopped cuz he couldn't deal with it and parents stepped in to mediate, the only person I still talk to to this day that I hold resent to for no reason is my brother, why do you think that is? Because none of our arguments were ever finished, they were stopped as if the argument itself was bad and not the feelings behind it, which u don't get rid of by stopping the argument. But I'm starting to not care about me, so it only seems logical to "waste" my time trying to help other ppl since I can't be helped anymore.

L

lollipop

To heal, to help, for us to grow and widen understanding and perspective, you gotta be comfortable with wherever people are and still have the same good intent towards them, and realize that at some points in your life you might have been in that state and would have liked someone to be understanding and not judge you, not make you feel worse as a person. Everyone wants to be the best person, not hurt anyones feelings, if they knew how.
This. Such wisdom coming down this pipe. The language also suggests someone who is not estrogenic, pumped with too much serotonin.