B6-Toxcicity And Insomnia/sleep Disturbances

Oktay

Hello,

I am from Holland.

I have tested my blood and my vitamin B6 blood level is 345 mol/L. (Normal reference are 26-105) So this too much high. I took for two months Multivitamin with also Pyridoxine CHL 2.3 mg inside.

I have weird/bizarre/lucid dreams at the moment and sleep disturbances during the night. Does anybody knows the theory for this?

Thanks

Oktay

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hello,

I am from Holland.

I have tested my blood and my vitamin B6 blood level is 345 mol/L. (Normal reference are 26-105) So this too much high. I took for two months Multivitamin with also Pyridoxine CHL 2.3 mg inside.

I have weird/bizarre/lucid dreams at the moment and sleep disturbances during the night. Does anybody knows the theory for this?

Thanks

Oktay

High doses of pyridoxine do exactly that - cause vivid dreams often accompanied by nightmares. Google "pyridoxine vivid dreams" or "pyridoxine nightmares".
I agree this is too much, you should back off that supplement for a few weeks. It usually takes about a week for B6 levels to go back to normal. The liver will excrete what it does not need but it takes time.
If you restart supplementing, I would recommend using P5P and taking no more than 5mg daily. It probably also helps to take a break every once in a while.
Btw, what is the reason you are taking the B6?

DaveFoster

High doses of pyridoxine do exactly that - cause vivid dreams often accompanied by nightmares. Google "pyridoxine vivid dreams" or "pyridoxine nightmares".
I agree this is too much, you should back off that supplement for a few weeks. It usually takes about a week for B6 levels to go back to normal. The liver will excrete what it does not need but it takes time.
If you restart supplementing, I would recommend using P5P and taking no more than 5mg daily. It probably also helps to take a break every once in a while.
Btw, what is the reason you are taking the B6?
Wow, I'm taking 50 mg. Definitely backing down.

I was reading that the half-life of P5P is around 15-20 days, so maybe once every ten days would work for people with 50 mg supplements.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oktay

Actually I took a Multivitamin from Centrum/Pfizer the end of November to build-up some resistance against flu etc. I definately stopped with the supplements now for 5 weeks.

I am taking them mostly for a short period only in the winter. End of December i get started some restless nights and tingling in fingers and feet. I am curious of the mode of action regarding disturbed sleep. It's mostly in the middle of the night.

What is the reason of this? I know B6 is a co-enzym for some neurotransmitters. So is the reason elevated Serotonin levels in the brain?

Other part is: I want to be clean of this toxic stuff in my body. How can I achieve this? Detoxing the liver?

paymanz

that test result isnt p5p form?
2.3 mg b6 is realy too small dose i wonder how that possible?in lot of trials they use 50-100 mg or more , some people use high dose for few month with no problem.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Actually I took a Multivitamin from Centrum/Pfizer the end of November to build-up some resistance against flu etc. I definately stopped with the supplements now for 5 weeks.

I am taking them mostly for a short period only in the winter. End of December i get started some restless nights and tingling in fingers and feet. I am curious of the mode of action regarding disturbed sleep. It's mostly in the middle of the night.

What is the reason of this? I know B6 is a co-enzym for some neurotransmitters. So is the reason elevated Serotonin levels in the brain?

Other part is: I want to be clean of this toxic stuff in my body. How can I achieve this? Detoxing the liver?

So, you stopped the supplement 5 weeks ago or you are stopping not for 5 weeks?
It is not well-known what causes the vivid dreams. It may be serotonin, but I doubt it since taking a serotonin antagonist does NOT stop the vivid dreams. It could be that P5P promotes melatonin synthesis as melatonin supplements give people the same side effects.

OP
O

Oktay

I stopped the supplements 20th February.

Test result is: Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) = 345 nmol/L

To be clear: the B6 in the multivitamin = Pyridoxine Chloride

In totall I took 60 tablets

haidut

Forum Supporter
I stopped the supplements 20th February.

Test result is: Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) = 345 nmol/L

To be clear: the B6 in the multivitamin = Pyridoxine Chloride

In totall I took 60 tablets

When was the test done?

haidut

Forum Supporter
12th February

Oh, ok. Then by now the levels should be back to normal. I would do another test by end of March to confirm.

OP
O

Oktay

Yes I will certainly do it. But I read that even the blood levels are normal it's still not out the body

OP
O

Oktay

I got a reaction from a scientist from Australia regarding my question:

"Basically, the theory is that high B6 levels increase serotonin levels, which inhibits REM sleep in the first part of the night. This leads to a REM-rebound effect that causes intensified dreaming in the second part of the night"

haidut

Forum Supporter
I got a reaction from a scientist from Australia regarding my question:

"Basically, the theory is that high B6 levels increase serotonin levels, which inhibits REM sleep in the first part of the night. This leads to a REM-rebound effect that causes intensified dreaming in the second part of the night"

Can you please ask him to provide some links to that theory.

OP
O

Oktay

Yes probably but there is also an theory I read from user Mitter:

"I should have clarified that B6 lowers the conversion of Tryptophan to Serotonin
and increases conversion of Tryptophan to Niacin"

docall18

B6 esp P5P lowers adrenaline in me. This results in cortisol increasing to take over the slack. (My preg, prog and Dhea are low so its cortisol that increases) This plus the dopamine increasing effect can cause insomnia.

However if i take b6 with pregnenolone i get a good effect of lowering both adrenaline & cortisol.

J

jb116

Yes probably but there is also an theory I read from user Mitter:

"I should have clarified that B6 lowers the conversion of Tryptophan to Serotonin
and increases conversion of Tryptophan to Niacin"
Yes which is contingent on dosing it seems.

B

Braveheart

B6 esp P5P lowers adrenaline in me. This results in cortisol increasing to take over the slack. (My preg, prog and Dhea are low so its cortisol that increases) This plus the dopamine increasing effect can cause insomnia.

However if i take b6 with pregnenolone i get a good effect of lowering both adrenaline & cortisol.

How much B6 and preg and when in your day? Last night I slept the longest in years...7 hours...took 50mg B6 in eve and preg/dhea before bed. What does this mean?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Back
Top Bottom